Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
C3Racing said:
What do you guys and gals like and dislike about manitou forks!!! And any Q's can be answered here on one thread.
Like: Affordability.

Dislike: Questionable quality control.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Quality Control

I've always been leery of Manitou forks because of so many issues reported in these forums and the reviews section that boiled down to quality control issues. The one thing I can say I've noticed on the positive side is that I have also seen a great many posts regadrding an excellent reuptation for solid customer service.

I can only hope that if these QC issues are true, that they've addressed them as of late. I have an Ibex Atlas Expert on order and it has the new Manitou Relic Super up front and the Split RP in the rear. This is Manitou's one and only chance to prove my perception as being wrong regarding QC.

Bob

·
Advanced Slacker
15,439 Posts
rkj__ said:
Like: Affordability.

Dislike: Questionable quality control.
Ditto.

It is so hit or miss. I love my 2000 x-vert super w/tpc+ dampening. Reliable, easy to work on, and feels great. 6 years and still going strong (except they stopped making the elastomers). On the other hand they crap the bed on a lot of products. When my Swinger 4-way Air works it feels great. When it works. I has gone back for service more in the 9 months I have owned it than just about every other suspension related part I have owned combined. In fact, I can thank Manitou for how strong I have gotten on my ss while my Trail bike sits in the basement shock-less.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've owned many Marzocchi, a few Fox, one Rockshox and currently have a Travis Single 150 on my Heckler with a Nixon Elite on one of my hardtails. Also have a Splice comp laying around and just recently sold a Sherman Firefly +. Of these four forks the only problem I ever had was a leak in the Sherman. The Canadian distributor fixed this problem and upgraded the SPV to SPV evolve at the same time as they repaired the leak.
When I compare the way I was treated as compared to the copious problems I've had with Marzocchi, there is no comparision. Someone would have to give me a Marzocchi before I'd try one again.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
In January 2004 I bought an Intense 5point5 which needed a long travel fork. I had always been a Fox fan but they had nothing appropriate so I got a Manitou Minute and have stuck with them since. The Minute was a bomb proof component that never gave a days trouble. I always felt the bike needed a slacker head angle and when the Nixon came out I decided to get a 2005 Platinum with IT. The Infinite Travel at the time was a brand new idea (On the fly travel control from the handlebar.) and unfortunately it had teething problems. I had to send mine back. The turn around was fast and friendly and I live on the East Coast. It appears that the IT was sorted in the 2006 model year and is still available this year. By the way, I got my frame with a Swinger 4-Way three years ago and it has never been touched, so I'd say there are not many issues with quality control. Instead of having the Swinger serviced I decided to replace it with an Evolver ISX-6. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, due to the weather, but initial reviews from one or two people who have tried it are very promising.

It is my opinion that Manitou are always trying to innovate and improve their product.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Ronnie said:
In January 2004 I bought an Intense 5point5 which needed a long travel fork. I had always been a Fox fan but they had nothing appropriate so I got a Manitou Minute and have stuck with them since. The Minute was a bomb proof component that never gave a days trouble. I always felt the bike needed a slacker head angle and when the Nixon came out I decided to get a 2005 Platinum with IT. The Infinite Travel at the time was a brand new idea (On the fly travel control from the handlebar.) and unfortunately it had teething problems. I had to send mine back. The turn around was fast and friendly and I live on the East Coast. It appears that the IT was sorted in the 2006 model year and is still available this year. By the way, I got my frame with a Swinger 4-Way three years ago and it has never been touched, so I'd say there are not many issues with quality control. Instead of having the Swinger serviced I decided to replace it with an Evolver ISX-6. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, due to the weather, but initial reviews from one or two people who have tried it are very promising.

It is my opinion that Manitou are always trying to innovate and improve their product.

Ronnie.
Yeah and FWIW almost all of the new air travel adjust forks (IT/Talas/2-step), have had *some* problems, which is a sign we are asking a lot of the technology.

IT, when it works (mine has been 100%) is a very cool feature, no other Fork brand has a remote travel control, and it can come in very handy when you turn a corner and the trail goes UP.

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
On 2001 I got an SX 100 which came stock on one of my bikes, few rides later and one of the fork seals blew on a sidewalk jump, talked with manitou and they just sent me a new 02 Black Plat 100/120 fork for a marginal cost. Repaired the SX and resold it. The black is still on my repertory and has been flawless, buttery smooth, only now it is needing the left side bushing. Have a Minute 2, had the known rebound knob breaking, again manitou sent me a new SPV evolve assembly, plus all the oils needed to refresh it. Then had a problem with the teflon seal, I think it was my fault at removing and Bobby just sent me another damping assembly for free! Want some more? Had a 04 3-way swinger, rebound failed just a month after warranty period, sent it for service, and they just sent me a new one again for free!!!!! Has been great ever since. Now I need service for my 2.5 year old swinger 4-way, which has been flawless, and I now I will be taken care of. They have a loyal customer in me, agree they have QC issues, which hopefully are being taken care of as I write, but when they work, man they are good. Last week got a 05 Nixon Super with IT, just can't wait till the 20mm Hope adapters arrive.... Have tested and owned Fox and Marzzochi, but.... they just not convince me....

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
I've run a 03 Sherman firefly with tpc+ and a 05 flick plus with tpc.

Very easy and simple to maintain, overhaul.
Fairly light and stiff.
They're affordable.
Tpc+ works good.

Dislikes:

Quality control.
Travel was a little too linear for me for drops. (AM/trail riding was fine though).
Can't tune progression with oil.

In general, the customer service is really good although I don't like having to go through the LBS for everything (like small parts). Also, I know they're pushing 1.5's, but they should have made an intrinsic travis for 1 1/8 steers. And try to keep the weight down at 6pounds or less.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a Sherman firefly+ which has the SPV evolve in it. I had been a staunch marz supporter until I saw this fork on sale super cheap last year. I had some serious teething problems with the setup of the SPV and the progressiveness.
After some experimenting I found that I like making my fork linear for XC days and really ramp up when I want to go big. I also run more than the specified SPV pressure for XC days and less for the aggressive days. Gives me two completely different feels with the same fork.
I know a lot of people don't like the feel of spv because of the letting go feeling you get when the platform disengages and because of it small bump properties but I really like the platform for two reasons. First is that I have 6 inches of cush but I can still stand up and hammer away or throw my weight around for slow speed maneuvers of tight techy singletrack. Two is that this is the best dampening system I have tried for dealing with brake dive. Also for me the small bump thing is moot because when I am going slow it doesn't matter if it absorbs the small stuff but when I go fast the fork is smooth like my old zock.
Now for my dislikes, QC is number one problem. I sent my fork back pretty much immediately after installing it and it had numerous problems, not a big deal because when you buy a new one year old fork for less than 50% of the original price you know that something is wrong with that model.
Second gripe is that the forks require some tools to tear em apart and adjust some things, now the progressiveness is done with a no tools thingy so its not a problem. I needed to use a grinder to alter some socket wrenches in order to adjust and take apart my fork. That made me pretty annoyed because my shop doesn't have a grinder and I didn't have one at home so I had to bribe someone to make the alterations for me.

Overall I think I am a manitou guy now IF and only If hayes improves QC.

PS I really want an 07 Nixon Super with the Thru axle.

·
Switchback Prince
816 Posts
this year there was some overstock manny stuff going for 50% or less of retail price (mainly '06 minute threes and nixon platinums). I picked up a nixon platinum cause that would basically be the only chance, during this age of my life, to own a fork with an MSRP of 800+ dollars.

so that is why i bought the fork, but now that I have it I don't have a single problem with it. It just works and feels great, and at 4lbs is worthy even as an XC fork. been in use for close to 5 months now and will do a service on it in the next month, or at least by winter. At this point I would buy another manny.

I'm also impressed by their relationship with Motorex; kinda says they only want the best stuff for their forks. They seem like a company that wants premium products. Seems like they would want to build premium forks then.

My only concern with the company is do they stock parts for a few years? I'd like to think I can keep this fork for years to come, repairing it as need be.

·
ColoradoCoolBreeze
679 Posts
When my first Nixon Plat 145mm was stolen when I took my bike to Vegas I replaced it with another.
No other fork spec'd out as good for the price.
I mostly XC in the Rockies. The trails are mostly rock...Pretty tough on a fork. Neither fork gave me any troubles.

If money is no object I would run FOX 36's

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
TPC is a great system that can be easily set up to give you any ride you want. Manitou forks are incredibly simple and they can be easily tuned at home in a few minutes. This is a unique feature of manitou forks that they (Answer/Manitou) no longer promote. In my mind, simple is good.

Manitou does have QC issues no doubt but if you get a fork working, they are amazing forks. I just hope Hayes works with them to really improve their QC.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
- They keep using TPC and TPC+ damping (classic piston/shim)
- TPC damping on their mid-range forks (so one can get quality damping without spending $800)
- Customer Service has been stellar for me and others I know
- Simplicity of maintenance (the garage mechanic can do it!)
- Oil servicing took me 30 minutes
- cost when on sale

Dislikes:

- Springs in coil forks are for 160# when shipped from the factory (If you look at the Nixon Elite reviews ALL complaints - travel blow through and brake dive - are because the riders don't know they are undersprung)
- Introduction of new damping tech every two years (new tech gremlins)
- No bling factor ( or no respect, like Rodney Dangerfield. even tho some of their forks out perform many other chi-chi forks.) this is a challenge when you have UGI and "think" you need an "upgrade" when you really don't.

P

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
kapusta said:
Which forks still use TPC+? I think it works great.
The 06-07 Nixon Elite uses TPC+, 05 version TPC (but is cartridge swappable to "+" version)

Some Travis version(s) use TPC+

And a version of the Minute uses TPC.

IMHO, TPC+ is great for AM type riding while TPC is better if you have more XC riding to do as one can crank up the low speed compression for less stand and mash bob (the plus version low speed damping kicks in an inch into travel)

P

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have three sherman breakouts, two had issues with damping as in they would not slow down and it feels like riding a pogo stick. Just sent one back (to Manitou) around the end of last month and my LBS called yesterday to tell me it was on it's way back. I honestly didn't think it would be that quick, but then again have dealt with Bobby before and have always been taken care of extremely well. The only other forks I've used are fox (with no problem) never tried marzzochi (would like to) but cost wise the Manitous' are hard to beat and if you do have any issues, customer service is great as well.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
My bike came with an '05 Nixon Elite, and despite having to limit the travel so it wouldn't rub the frame (cleverly labeled by a "travel upgrade installed!" sticker) it's been an absolutely fantastic fork. I swapped to a Marz AM1 this spring and had to send it back to the factory due to a multitude of problems so the Nixon is back on and holding down the fort for the time being. I've also got a Swinger 3-way and was a little dissapointed with it at first because in order to get enough platform to pedal aggressively, I lost all small bump compliance. After riding it for a couple months I ended up settling on a bit of a compromise and never looked back, I had to learn how to pedal properly but the shock works well. I'm not saying I won't upgrade to a different brand but I have absolutely no issue with Manitou and would happily buy another fork/shock from them in the future.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.