Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've had a couple of Air9 scandium frames, and currently ride an Air9 carbon. I've also got a Singular Swift (steel hardtail) so have a bit of an idea as to the ride qualities of each frame I guess. The biggest difference between the 3 frames is how stiff the A9C is - there is NO flex in the front triangle at all, so if you put the power down it feels like it shoots forwards.

I use the Singular as a training bike, and the difference in the ride is pretty noticeable compared to the A9C, that's for sure - it feels softer, both laterally (mainly the front triangle I guess) and also seems to be a little smoother on high speed roughies - although that could just be up to the heavier wheels/tyres/etc, and a 21lb bike vs a 26lb bike.

The A9 scandium is somewhere between the two - but doesn't have the stiffness of the A9C, or the smoothness of the steel Singular. If you want a bike to go FAST, the A9C is a very good option. If you want something for fun, but not as fast (climbing at least) then perhaps look at a steel frame. IMO the scandium frame kinda falls into a bit of a void now...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I only weigh 165, so that may weigh (no pun intended) into this, but I have the A9C and I agree with the comments in the linked thread that it's stiff when pedaling but it's also very comfortable. I have always ridden steel because of the supposed "flex" of it, and the carbon has also been very comfortable. No complaints from me in the quality of the ride, and I love that my pedaling is instantly transferred to forward movement!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.