Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Xtr=x0²
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes? Compared to what?

No? Compared to what?

Plz be specific about what setup you have experience with.

I plan on using either shimano XTR levers or road Time Trial levers or regualr road levers, I don´t know if the power will go down by doing this, do you?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The BB7 IME has equal power to most XC Hydros using the same sized rotors (I can personally compare to Hayes HFX-Mag, HFX-9, and Avid Juicy 5). I feel they have less modulation than hydros and if used for long descents can "fade" as the pistons are not self adjusting like a hydro (not good for DH Bikes for instance).

They make two versions, if you are going to use TT or Road levers that are designed for calipers...get the Road BB7 version instead.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
alivio said:
Yes? Compared to what?

No? Compared to what?

Plz be specific about what setup you have experience with.

I plan on using either shimano XTR levers or road Time Trial levers or regualr road levers, I don´t know if the power will go down by doing this, do you?
Yes, compared to anything.

But you need to use the proper BB7 caliper for the levers.

·
Xtr=x0²
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need further assistance guys.

I need the "road" version BB7 right? What is the difference? Some other kind of leverage ratio? I got no clue really.

Also rotors?? I want one piece Centerlock steel rotors, no light stuff, something that does not wear out pads too quickly or makes more noise thjan usual when wet, I could not care less about which is the absolute best rotors for this or that brake, I just want something quiet that works reasonably good and won´t eat pads for breakfast. A safe bet. Are Roundagons good? They look like no nonsense rotors, also Magura has a very similar looking rotor is it possibly better?

Pads, well I´m lost here, but there must be a thread about this or 1000.

·
Registered
119 Posts
alivio said:
I want one piece Centerlock steel rotors
I just installed a set of BB7's on my bike last night. The rotor I went for was the Avid CleanSweep G2. It is not centerlock, but I used an adapter to make it centerlock. When it was finally installed and locked in, the connection was absolutely solid. There is no play whatsoever that I can feel.

So if you need to get a 6-bolt rotor, do so. The adapter seems to be well designed, IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Cente...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1278530208&sr=8-1

·
Xtr=x0²
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will any of these work well enogh you think?

Is it true the deore rotors can´t handle all types of pads?

·
Xtr=x0²
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol I must have missed that completely, but does anyone know about the deores and pads.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
alivio said:
I need further assistance guys.

I need the "road" version BB7 right? What is the difference? Some other kind of leverage ratio? I got no clue really.
There are two kinds of levers...Linear Pull/V-Brake levers pull more cable and the MTB version of the BB7 is designed for these. Pretty much all MTB's since about 1997 come with brake levers for Linear Pull brakes. There are a couple of road/touring/drop bar MTB brake levers that also work on linear pull brakes. The Road BB7 is designed for Road levers including all the Brifters (Brake/Shifter) and TT levers...as well as older MTB levers that were designed for Cantilever brakes. These levers pull less cable. The Road BB7's look and work the same as the MTB version...just designed for the shorter pull levers.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
alivio said:
Lol I must have missed that completely, but does anyone know about the deores and pads.
Some of the cheap Shimano rotors are too soft to use Metallic pads on them (stock on the BB7's). Using these pads will wear them out prematurely. Therefore Resin or Organic pads only for those rotors.

·
Xtr=x0²
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks for the heads up. I think I´ll go for the 180 xt up fron and 160 xt rear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts