Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not new to the sport but since reading the guide for cleaning and maintanence of your bike i wanted to understand just what water does to your chain and gears.

You see i used to always wash my chain and gears using a degreaser that i applied with a paint brush and then rinsed it oput with water. I learned that method from a mechanic here in town who always did that to every bike that came into his shop. BTW he is the only certified mechanic in town from a bike repair school from the US.

Before that i used diesel to clean the chain and gears, rinse them down with water and then relubed them. I learned this from other mechanics in town and from fellow bikers.

I did this for several years prior to my degreaser fase.

I stopped biking and did some Motocross and everyone cleaned their chains and sprockets with gasoline. Then you applied lube to the chain link by link.
I always cleaned my chain and sprocket after every ride and i was one of the guys whose chains weared down the least. This was a very well known method for cleaning a chain and didnt need any rinsing afterwards.
Of course there were some chains that used O rings and had grease "locked in" between the links, so with these chains you couldnt use this method or degreasers or you would mess up the chain.

recently i have been using Simple green to clean the chain and gears but even after rinsing it leaves a residue all over the bike.

I am looking for the same solvent i used to use years back that didnt leave any residue, but i was thinking about what damage, if any, does the chain and gears suffer from the rinsing the degreaser off with water.

In fact i cant understand why the old method of using diesel on the chain and gears aint a good idea, it cleans the chain from dirt and old grease, it evaporates, and then you can apply new lube.

The whole idea of taking the chain out after each ride, using white spirits, then degreaser and all that ritual seems too time consuming and anal to me.

Can someone give me some advice on this matter?

I forgot top mention that i live in a very dry place, we get to see mud in the trails very rarely. But since the connecting roads to the trailshold a lot of traffic it gets pretty dusty out there.
If i dont encounter cars or trucks in the dirt i can sometimes just use the rag to clean the luittle dust the chain gets on it. But whenever i encounter a vehicle, which is pretty often, it is a whole diferent story.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
actually...i haven't 'cleaned' a chain in years.....

1. take rag, squeeze chain, spin backward
2. move to clean part of rag and repeat a few times
3. lube generously*
4. spin cranks in reverse for 10 seconds
5. repeat step 1 with clean part of rag
6. go ride

* unless you are using Phil's Tenacious Oil for SS winter use....then apply 1 drop at a time...then go to step 4...:D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AZ.MTNS said:
.............Use your favorite cleaning solution.......Parktool.com
Let me reformulate this:

Those things seem to me as a waste of $$.
Anyway maybe that thing helps out cleaning the chain better than applying the degreaser with a brush,
But you still have to rinse off the degreaser with water.

Does rinsing the chain afterwards with water mess up the chain?

·
Registered
115 Posts
WTF?? I will never EVER EVER clean a chain that way. Who in the world cares that much about a freaking bicycle chain to do that?? So what if your chain wears out a little faster, they aren't made of unobtanium!

EDIT: It's a joke, I didn't get it til looking at the MAN bike saddle. You never know with some of those road bikers out there.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
neongreen said:
WTF?? I will never EVER EVER clean a chain that way. Who in the world cares that much about a freaking bicycle chain to do that?? So what if your chain wears out a little faster, they aren't made of unobtanium!
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If I can't wipe the chain clean with just a rag, I soak it in a little bit of kerosene. Like diesel, it gets everything out, the petroleum pushes out any water and will eventually evaporate away so you can lube it.

I like this because it is easy and I don't have to worry about rust if I don't get the chain completely dry. The downside, and the reason it is frowned upon is the disposal problem. It's not great on the environment.

·
too cold to ride
1,130 Posts
I like the Chain Gang tool pictured earlier. Use it once on a seemingly clean chain, then take a look at all the crap on the magnet at the bottom of the tank. I use Finish Line teflon dry lube after the chain is dry.

I've heard Simple Green is good too, but I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
the park chain cleaner works. fill it with some degreaser, run your chain through it a few times, then re do the same thing with water. your chain comes out almost as new. wipe dry, then lube your chain 1 link at a time. then wipe dry

·
Metal
120 Posts
Is there a general view on WD40 as a cleaner?

I have been riding BMX bikes forever, and always used WD40 as a grease solvent when cleaning parts for re-lubing.

I never see it mentioned.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AchrisK said:
Is there a general view on WD40 as a cleaner?

I have been riding BMX bikes forever, and always used WD40 as a grease solvent when cleaning parts for re-lubing.

I never see it mentioned.
WD40 it´s a pretty good choice to get rid off grease or oil.

But since mountain biking most of the times is done mostly in the dirt WD40 aint a good choice because it leaves a very sticky film.
It is literaly a dirt magnet.

As the guy in the sticky tutorial says: another of its disadventages is that its mostly found in aerosol so it shoots all over the place and it may get in touch with rims or rotors so it may screw the braking. And every piece of the bike that gets wd40 will atract lots of dirt during your rides that eventually makes a mess of junky stuff.

On the other hand you can buy WD40 by the gallon and apply it carefully with a brush, but then again you´ll be left out with a sticky film all over the chain and gear that will atract dirt.

·
Metal
120 Posts
I actually had the chain off of the bike, so there was no overspray. Also, I am not lubing with it. After cleaning I applied chain lube and then ran it through a rag.

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
If you feel like you need a solvent to clean your chain, then most any solvent will do. Personally, I've had great success with using a waxed base lube like Rock 'N' Roll. Get the chain good and saturated with the lube, back pedal for 15-20 seconds and wipe it clean with a rag. Your done. Lubed and cleaned, no solvent required.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
mbmb65 said:
If you feel like you need a solvent to clean your chain, then most any solvent will do. Personally, I've had great success with using a waxed base lube like Rock 'N' Roll. Get the chain good and saturated with the lube, back pedal for 15-20 seconds and wipe it clean with a rag. Your done. Lubed and cleaned, no solvent required.
no need to saturate a chain, thats a waste of lube and a mess, a drop in each link for minimal dripping on the floor. Then wipe the chain down.

when lubing a chain you actually want to lubricate the inside links of the chain, not the outside. any lube on the outside will attract dirt and/or get dirty and get your pants dirty

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
louisssss said:
no need to saturate a chain, thats a waste of lube and a mess, a drop in each link for minimal dripping on the floor. Then wipe the chain down.

when lubing a chain you actually want to lubricate the inside links of the chain, not the outside. any lube on the outside will attract dirt and/or get dirty and get your pants dirty
Well there you go again! Spouting off about something you know nothing about. Wax based lubes, Rock N Road specifically, are not like the "lube" you are familiar with, and with them saturate is exactly what you do. I mean is there any topic that you know anything about? Do you ever try to at least educate yourself a little before you open your mouth? I'm guessing not. Exactly why are you here?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.