Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are 8 billion posts a day about clipless pedals so I am sorry if anyone who replies is having to write a reply that they have written before......anywho, I am thinking about going clipless and my friend just gave me a free pair of Coda clipless pedals (which made the decision to go clipless a bit easier). I have yet to buy shoes and I heard that these Coda pedals are pure crap.

I was wondering whether I should stick with these pedals when i learn and buy new ones if i like clipless or should I just get new ones for learning. With the Coda pedals I heard that it is really hard to clip in and out of them and when you adjust the tension to the lowest, you pop out for no reason. Also I ride in muddy conditions and even though i am not gonna learn on the trail, if i decide to take it on the trail i dont wanna be stuck into the pedals while heading towards a tree or something else quite painful. I dont want to have a bad experiance and think that clipless pedals suck, but then again i dont want to drop money that i kinda dont have, only to find out that i hate going clipless.

When i made the transition from platforms to clips and straps, I really noticed the difference and felt much more comfortable on the trails.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seven - Like many riders on the board, I use clipless pedals now after once wondering about them. They're great and now that I'm used to them I wouldn't go back.

The first question you probably want to answer is what type of riding you do. If you're doing XC type stuff, then clipless is definitely the way to go. However, if you do more free riding or downhill, then you may want to rethink it. In any case, the type of pedal you choose will be based on the type of riding you do.

I recently convinced my girlfriend to try clipless. She does XC stuff, but didn't feel comfortable going with something as small as the Egg Beater. So I got her a set of the Candy pedals, also from Crank Brothers. It's basically an Egg Beater pedal surrounded by a small cage. Basically you can pedal clipped-in or clipped-out depending on the situation and terrain. This would be another excellent pedal for you to consider.

I guess where I'm going with this is that I would recommend one of the Crank Brothers pedals. In your case, I'd say the Egg Beater or the Candy. Both are made at different levels, so get the one that makes the most sense (the higher levels are heavier). Both are excellent when it comes to shedding mud and the customer service has been great (assuming you need it). Decide whether or not you would like the extra cage and then get one pair or the other ... you won't regret it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
About a year ago, after destroying the crappy plastic pedals that came with my bike in West Virginia, I bought a pair of good Shimano clipless pedals, m545. They have a cleat surrounded by a platform, so they can be used clipped out for very technical sections of trail clipped out, or when I hop on my bike in normal shoes. The greater contact area is also more comfortable on my feet. I have found that when i use smaller pedals, the ball of my foot starts to hurt after biking for a while.

My reccomendation to you is to go clipless, but get some good pedals with platforms. Once you decide you really like clipless, you can get some lighter pedals without platforms, since you'll be comfortable with the system. And honestly, the clipping out action becomes second nature. It only takes 1 or 2 sideways falls before you learn.

Also, make sure to set the tension very low when you first get the pedals.

-Z

·
Registered
301 Posts
SEvEnDuSt717 said:
Answer Palisade Shoes & Crank Brothers Egg Beater Chrome Pedals for 80 bucks, sounds like a good deal. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
I have eggs on my road bike and I love them. I run Times ATAC on my mtn bike, which I also love too.

The Palisades shoes are OK. They're nothing great. The sole is will get torn up some what if hike alot, but overall they should be fine for a first pair of shoes.

BTW, 80 bucks for both is a good deal. I would go it.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
They'll be fine although there are those that don't like them they're mostly ones that have issues with anything that doesn't work exactly how "they" think it should. Just be patient while learning. It's not going to happen in a just a few short weeks.

If you do get another set of pedals I suggest some Time Atacs(aliums are fine and less expensive-my first choice) or some Crank bros. eggbeater type.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.