Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a casual rider. I don't race. My trails are single track with mixed pitches, sharp turns, logs and branches and lots of New england rocks (1-2 feet big) all over the place. 7 y ago I got a 29er (niner) and liked the better climbing (less bob). But I miss the tossability, huckability and agility of my older 26" wheeled stumpjumper. So I am going to try 27.5" wheels on my niner. I read a lot about people using wider tires in the front. - for example on their 29ers 2.6 and 2.5 in the front and 2.4 or 2.5 in the rear. On a 27.5" wheel I'd prob go up a bit in width.But what is the rationale of different tire widths?

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I am a casual rider. I don't race. My trails are single track with mixed pitches, sharp turns, logs and branches and lots of New england rocks (1-2 feet big) all over the place. 7 y ago I got a 29er (niner) and liked the better climbing (less bob). But I miss the tossability, huckability and agility of my older 26" wheeled stumpjumper. So I am going to try 27.5" wheels on my niner. I read a lot about people using wider tires in the front. - for example on their 29ers 2.6 and 2.5 in the front and 2.4 or 2.5 in the rear. On a 27.5" wheel I'd prob go up a bit in width.But what is the rationale of different tire widths?
If your rear tire slides out, you'll 'Yahoo!!' & 'Woot!!' & grow the biggest dopiest grin imaginable =)

If your front tire slides out, you'll be visiting the orthodontist & you'll be moaning and groaning & having your meals through a straw o_0

I've always run wider up front & always different tire brands/combos.

e.g. (front/back) Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 (more like a 2.5 w/ the original) & Maxxis DHRII 2.4 rear...
This was my favorite 27.5 160mm rig setup.

or

Bontrager XR5 2.6 & Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 is currently what I'm running on my AM HT 29er (140mm travel)

Mix & match...

Remember front for grip & saving your but... rear for sh1ts and giggles.

Sent from my Nokia X6

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,180 Posts
Just a rough estimate, but I'd guess about 65-70% of your weight is on the rear tire, so the front needs more "grip" IME to allow approximately equal traction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.