Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
EDR
10,072 Posts
I have never ridden the Motolite but own a 575. I can vouch for the 575, its a great all around bike. From what i've heard about the Titus its a great bike as well. I'm sure either bike is more than capable of most any trail riding. You really need to try to ride both, I know that can be a difficult task.

Just fyi...the 575 can be built to weigh as little as 26lbs or so with a lot of money, 29 or 30lbs is very, very realistic for most. It is rated for a dual crown fork if you so desire and climbs very well and of course loves the d/h.... ;)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,195 Posts
justinmosiman said:
What would cover the most trails in northern arizona the best?
Enduro SX trail, Turner 6pack, Ventana X5, Titus Supermoto.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds smilar

I have read a lot of good things about the 575. It seems like mtbr likes the 575 and mba likes the motolite. I think that mba might choose the motolite for the wrong reasons (business, advertising, etc.) However if they like the titus for the right reasons I don't know.

·
EDR
10,072 Posts
justinmosiman said:
I have read a lot of good things about the 575. It seems like mtbr likes the 575 and mba likes the motolite. I think that mba might choose the motolite for the wrong reasons (business, advertising, etc.) However if they like the titus for the right reasons I don't know.
My advice..don't listen to that crap. Read as much on the Titus and Yeti forums you can, word of mouth (although biased on a specific forum) is worth much more then a mag...
Can't go wrong with either bike on paper, its all about feel at that level, thats why I say you have to ride both to compare. Only you can tell which one is for you.

·
RHRF!
1,279 Posts
No go on demo...

I've heard that Titus has discontinued the demo program out of their factory. You can only get a demo ride if a bike shop has it in their demo fleet.

A lot of things are changing at Titus but thankfully, they still make a great product.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
As a owner of both (sort of)

So... I've got a 04 Quasimoto and an 05 575 and ride both extensively. Granted the Quasi is NOT the Moto but has the FSR suspension design. 1st. The 575 will SMOKE most bikes on the climb. Set the platform to firm and crank away. Light and fast. Blows the quasi away on the climbs. Bike weight difference is @ 2-3 pounds. To me, that's insignificant.
2nd. The FSR is a little bit better WRT traction on the technical descents. Seems to stay stuck to the ground a little better than the low single pivot of the 575. As a previous owner of a higher single pivot (mountain cycle San Andreas) the 575 is worlds better!
3rd. 575's suspension seems bottomless. Unbelievable feeling while flying down all the technical descents on south mtn. Very similar to the 6" of travel on the Quasi. both equal in that dept.
For general 'all mountain' biking..... I prefer the 575. My personal preference.

·
Registered
224 Posts
rode both...

and the Marin quad link equivalent before I decided. My rank was:

1. Marin
1a. 575
1b. Titus

I ended up with the Marin. Really all 3 bikes were awesome, very little difference in the REAL ride quality, my decision came down to cost and availability. The Marin was available immediately for $650 the Yeti was 2-3 weeks at $1200 and the Titus was 6-8 weeks at best for $1300. I gave the edge to the Marin because of the cost, and the fact that I could have it basically "now". I will not look back, I love the bike. But, If I were just to choose between the Yeti and Titus, I would have chosen the Yeti. I felt it pedalled a small bit better than the Titus, and gave up nothing on the downhill performance.

PS, I rode the Ellsworth Moment too, but just could not justify the $$ over the other 3.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,364 Posts
spam

Clearly you should save yourself some money and buy my (Small) Loco-Moto for only $600, shipped! What's it got that the Moto-lite doesn't have? Oh yeah, the extra pound of weight!

Seriously the Loco is a good bike if you're interested. Haven't ridden the Moto-lite, but I do know one thing. The one thing I don't like about the Loco is that there is limited tire clearance, I can SQUEEZE a Tioga DH 2.3 in there, but that's about it. You think if they were coming out with a new bike to replace the Loco they'd fix this problem, but apparently they haven't. So if tire clearance is an issue for you, now you know.

PS: someone please buy my Loco! I need the cash!

·
Registered
656 Posts
FishMan473 said:
The one thing I don't like about the Loco is that there is limited tire clearance, I can SQUEEZE a Tioga DH 2.3 in there, but that's about it. You think if they were coming out with a new bike to replace the Loco they'd fix this problem, but apparently they haven't. So if tire clearance is an issue for you, now you know.
The latest Titus Moto-lite addresses the issue, finally.

Rita :)

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
I've owned both...

justinmosiman said:
I am on the fence over a 575 or motolite. What would cover the most trails in northern arizona the best?
If you go with the 575 you'd better like the feel of a single pivot suspension design (that's pretty much what it is). I could never find a happy medium between cushy ride and efficient climbing. I actually owned 2 575's a both of them were so noisy it they sounded like they were going to fall apart. The head badge on the 2nd one DID!

I'm on a Moto-Lite now. Night and Day difference! The Moto-Lite is a much better quality frame. IMHO it is a more balanced ride. Cushy enough to handle Nat'l Coast 2 Coast but efficient enough to climb pretty much anything in the area.

No offense to any other 575 owners... My experience was less than desireable.

·
I am Walt
6,307 Posts
cycljunkie said:
If you go with the 575 you'd better like the feel of a single pivot suspension design (that's pretty much what it is). I could never find a happy medium between cushy ride and efficient climbing. I actually owned 2 575's a both of them were so noisy it they sounded like they were going to fall apart. The head badge on the 2nd one DID!

I'm on a Moto-Lite now. Night and Day difference! The Moto-Lite is a much better quality frame. IMHO it is a more balanced ride. Cushy enough to handle Nat'l Coast 2 Coast but efficient enough to climb pretty much anything in the area.

No offense to any other 575 owners... My experience was less than desireable.
And Jim has f-ed around with just about every frame and component known to man...

(BTW, heading down to ASU for a swim meet in a few...going for a short run around Tempe Town Lake...)

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
waltaz said:
(BTW, heading down to ASU for a swim meet in a few...going for a short run around Tempe Town Lake...)
Thanks. I'd also like to know when your next bowel movement is planned.

PS: On topic. I hear both are very good bikes. However, if the rear tire clearance issue is fixed, as has been said, I myself would pull the trigger on the Titus.

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,414 Posts
waltaz said:
And Jim has f-ed around with just about every frame and component known to man...
But, you should also know that Jim buys and sells frames at an amazing rate, barely keeping some of them longer than a ride or two it seems. In the 1.5 years that I've known Jim, I can't even begin to count the number of different bikes that he's owned. :)

The grass is always greener cliche may apply in his case.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
AZ Mikey said:
But, you should also know that Jim buys and sells frames at an amazing rate, barely keeping some of them longer than a ride or two it seems. In the 1.5 years that I've known Jim, I can't even begin to count the number of different bikes that he's owned. :)

The grass is always greener cliche may apply in his case.
Now, if only we could figure out how to apply Jim's method to wives.

By the way, what is the "over/under" on Jim's retention of the ML?

·
I am Doctor Remulak
1,414 Posts
Dirdir said:
Now, if only we could figure out how to apply Jim's method to wives.

By the way, what is the "over/under" on Jim's retention of the ML?
I think there might be a few more rides left in it, but it depends on when Jim see's something shiny that distracts him.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
AZ Mikey said:
I think there might be a few more rides left in it, but it depends on when Jim see's something shiny that distracts him.
i've got even money that says the ML doesn't last 'til march. and i could go shorter with odds.

back on topic, i ride a 575 and absolutely love it. think of it as a 5 spot with 3/4" more travel and about $600 less. it rides like a single pivot about as much (read nil) as the new turner tnt all the homers are raving about.

as far as noise, wrap the drive side stays, like you would on any bike, and it's as quiet as anything.

sorry about your headbadge jim. i would sell mine too if such a critical component abandoned ship. ;)

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
dirtbag said:
think of it as a 5 spot with 3/4" more travel and about $600 less. it rides like a single pivot about as much (read nil) as the new turner tnt all the homers are raving about.
I wouldn't compare it to a 5 Spot (IMO). The Spot has a more linear feel (in terms of rear suspension) to it where as the 575 is a little sticky initially and gets real squishy during mid to end of stroke. I've owned a few SC Superlights and they have a similar feel to them. Obviously this is very dependent on how the shock is set up... Again, just my $0.02.

dirtbag said:
as far as noise, wrap the drive side stays, like you would on any bike, and it's as quiet as anything.
I had road tubes wrapped inside Lizard Skins on both seat and chain stay to no avail...

dirtbag said:
sorry about your headbadge jim. i would sell mine too if such a critical component abandoned ship. ;)
It bummed me out because I emailed Yeti twice about the headbadge thing and they never even responded... Salt on my wounds.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts