Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
That thing better not actually come with 175 cranks. IMHO any production SS should come with 180 cranks stock, or at least give you the option between the two lengths.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
OK I am seeing some great specials on complete On-Ones and frames but has anyone seen any bargains on their forks???

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
el-cid said:
That thing better not actually come with 175 cranks. IMHO any production SS should come with 180 cranks stock, or at least give you the option between the two lengths.
All cranks are 175mm.

Originally the bikes were specced with a very low rent Truvativ crank. That's only available in 175mm max length, with a 33t chainring and a proprietary splined BB - really not very nice, but they were cheap.

BUT a few weeks after we placed the order, Truvativ contacted us to say didn't have stock, and so we hopped up to the super-dooper GXP external bearing, cold forged, loveliness that is the Stylo Team.

And when we did that we took a big hit on the bottom line, but the customers got lovely cranks.

BUT when we did that, we were in such a rush to get the bikes built, we forgot to take them up on the longer 180mm length that the Stylo Team SS comes in. Though we forgot about this when we wrote the spec.

SO - I guess I understand why people are a little pissed about not getting 180's. But from our standpoint, realise that you're getting much much better cranks than you were due to get.

No offence intended. I will work on a buy-back price if anyone really doesn't want the Stylo 175s - as I can sell them all day long to SS riders. But it won't be close to Stylo SS retail price - more typically around 50% off RRP (just like the bike is pretty close to 50% RRP of the parts fitted).

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,196 Posts
Cranky!

I run 180's on my SS and 170's on my fixie. So I understand the pain. However, you know that the guys like Don McLung (who's something like 100 years old) and the other guys in that Salida crew, run flat pedals and 170's. My understanding is that it forces them to SPIN, SPIN and those guys can ride like no body's business.

Guess what I'm saying is don't completely discount the shorter crank lengths. One of these days if I find the right cranks and have the cash, I'm going to attempt the 170... with clipless pedals though. I can't even stand to ride a bike without clipless anymore.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That absolutely is cool as hell.

I think people get too over-excited about longer crank arms. Certain 29er pioneers, who know a thing or two about riding, advocate no longer than 170mm cranks, no matter the rider height. I'm not saying I necc agree, as I'm a 175mm nut myself, but just that I don't think a dogma of "every 29er SS should come with 180mm cranks" has a whole lot of sand.

Rock on Brant!

All cranks are 175mm.

Originally the bikes were specced with a very low rent Truvativ crank. That's only available in 175mm max length, with a 33t chainring and a proprietary splined BB - really not very nice, but they were cheap.

BUT a few weeks after we placed the order, Truvativ contacted us to say didn't have stock, and so we hopped up to the super-dooper GXP external bearing, cold forged, loveliness that is the Stylo Team.

And when we did that we took a big hit on the bottom line, but the customers got lovely cranks.

BUT when we did that, we were in such a rush to get the bikes built, we forgot to take them up on the longer 180mm length that the Stylo Team SS comes in. Though we forgot about this when we wrote the spec.

SO - I guess I understand why people are a little pissed about not getting 180's. But from our standpoint, realise that you're getting much much better cranks than you were due to get.

No offence intended. I will work on a buy-back price if anyone really doesn't want the Stylo 175s - as I can sell them all day long to SS riders. But it won't be close to Stylo SS retail price - more typically around 50% off RRP (just like the bike is pretty close to 50% RRP of the parts fitted).

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
All cranks are 175mm.

Brant, I guess it is true as you know better than I; you can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all of the time.

I for one am not gonna lose any sleeep over my crank arms being 0.197 inches shorter than 180mm , BFD!

My bike has shipped and will hopefully arrive soon!!!

Cheers

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
TR said:
OK I am seeing some great specials on complete On-Ones and frames but has anyone seen any bargains on their forks???
there is a chance I may sell mine....depends on whether or not I get the Reba. I will keep you posted.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
I don't think anyone can complain one little bit about anything spec'd on the Inbred 29 for the price. That is a steal for a complete bike. That's the absolute perfect price for an entry-level complete bike. I think Brant and all the rest at On-One have done a fantastic job of providing a product.

I, for one, use 175 on all things except the fixie, which I use 170's on. I don't get too worked up about my crank lengths. If nothing else, using 175's across the board for me provides consistency across my bikes, which, to me, is of more concern than an additional 5mm of moment arm to push with. If the extra 5mm is going to make that big of a difference in my performance, I probably need to ride more (which I do!).

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Francis Buxton said:
I don't think anyone can complain one little bit about anything spec'd on the Inbred 29 for the price. That is a steal for a complete bike. That's the absolute perfect price for an entry-level complete bike. I think Brant and all the rest at On-One have done a fantastic job of providing a product.
The irony of course is that to spec 180's wouldn't have cost any more. it's just something we overlooked due to pressure.

Oh well.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
Brant, that came out a little harsher than I meant it to. It just seems like a detail that gets overlooked when production bikes get spec'ed. I live in Montana and it seems like all the terrain around here goes up or down, no roly-polys, no happy medium; plus I ride a 2:1 on my 26er ss so I guess it's just my personal preference to run 180s. To each their own, and if I don't like it I can build up a frameset. It's not the end of the world, and that is a killer price so I'll just shut my pie hole now :).

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
It's probably also worth noting that www.zedsport.com had complete Inbred 29ers for $990. They had a killer pre-order deal that ended on Thanksgiving, but still have great frame, frame-and-fork and frame-and-Reba deals.

·
Registered
981 Posts
As a side note, I have to say that pictures don't do justice to the nice pearl/metallic paint finish on the Inbred. Once you see the frame in outdoor light, it just sparkles.

Nice touch and a pleasant surprise. The finish and details on these Inbreds are impressive.

Zedsports' $699 for frame/Reba combo looks like nice price/package.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
TR said:
OK cool.
Will wait to hear.
just ordered the Reba today....looks like i will be selling the fork. just have no idea right this second what it is even worth...not sure who sells it new to even guestimate...PM me. Cheers

·