Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,867 Posts
Trying to press On One to give us some pictures of the bike with the 29+ setup.

·
Live Free & Ride
1,574 Posts
Are the drop outs sliding or just fixed to certain sizes? I think that I want a 29+ single speed.
Not sure if it will come with all 3 dropout sizes, but site says: Designed around a hot-swappable rear dropout system that can accommodate 650, 650+, 29er and 29+ ?

Nice looking Stache-like frame that costs much less with similar geo. Would like to see the standover for the 19 in frame, as thats the one for me. Great carbon option here OnOne!

·
Just Ride!
1,248 Posts
Argh! Finally took a close look at the droupout picture on the frame only listing. It simply has two different holes to use... On-One, was once again a hairs breath away from having an awesome frameset, but in my opinion missed the mark. I really hate to be negative, but would it have been that much trouble to make the dropouts sliders? Obviously they were trying to make this a multi platform bike, but why limit us to fully geared only bike?

·
Rider/Builder/Hacker
422 Posts
I've taken the plunge with the latest sale pricing.
£391.67 (ex VAT) = 52% off
£441.86 (ex VAT) shipped to USA
Even after currency conversion, the price is competitive with the no name eBay sellers.

A carbon Trek Stache on a budget?
My Dirt Wizards will finally have a home between Rango and the Fox 34 boost I'm getting ;-)

·
Live Free & Ride
1,574 Posts
I've taken the plunge with the latest sale pricing.
£391.67 (ex VAT) = 52% off
£441.86 (ex VAT) shipped to USA
Even after currency conversion, the price is competitive with the no name eBay sellers.

A carbon Trek Stache on a budget?
My Dirt Wizards will finally have a home between Rango and the Fox 34 boost I'm getting ;-)
Good choice, just noticed today that the price dropped even more! What do you plan on using for wheels and tires? Keep your build progress posted here. ;D

·
Rider/Builder/Hacker
422 Posts
Good choice, just noticed today that the price dropped even more! What do you plan on using for wheels and tires? Keep your build progress posted here. ;D
The first build will be 27.5+, using the Dirt Wizards that refused to fit my Banshee Phantom w/MRP Stage fork. I'm planning to build my 2nd wheelset using BHS hubs with either Spank Oozy Trail395+ or DT Swiss XM551's. Thought about going carbon rims, but currently leaning towards staying with aluminum. My first wheelset build used the Spanks, and they've been very good so far, and have the bling factor going for them. The XM551's are a little wider, but are a bit of an unknown for me.

·
Live Free & Ride
1,574 Posts
The first build will be 27.5+, using the Dirt Wizards that refused to fit my Banshee Phantom w/MRP Stage fork. I'm planning to build my 2nd wheelset using BHS hubs with either Spank Oozy Trail395+ or DT Swiss XM551's. Thought about going carbon rims, but currently leaning towards staying with aluminum. My first wheelset build used the Spanks, and they've been very good so far, and have the bling factor going for them. The XM551's are a little wider, but are a bit of an unknown for me.
Yeah, I have had both carbon and alum rims built up in the past few years. Good luck with 50mm carbons and even better experience with Dt XM481 rims. The 481's were laced to a 350 x 15mm front hub by my lbs. The Magic Mary tires set up tubeless so easy and have been leak proof all summer. I will have another set of these built and have also been looking at the 551's and hoping to see them in 29 size soon. Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The Rango appears to be identical to the Carbonspeed CS-496. Virtually all geo parameters are identical. Even subtle things like the shape of the drive side seatstay/chainstay joint are identical. CS-496 can be purchased for about $525 delivered to US (frame + delivery + paypal fee). So about $100 less than On-One.

From what I can tell, the Workswell, Sabato and other generic models (which all appear the same as each other) have some distinct differences to the Rango/CS-496. Most critically, a ~1.5 degree steeper headtube angle for a given fork length on the Workswell et al. Seems like the Rango/CS-496 are designed more to a 120mm travel fork (at 27.5+) and the others are designed more to a 140mm fork (at 27.5+).

·
Rider/Builder/Hacker
422 Posts
CS-496 can be purchased for about $525 delivered to US (frame + delivery + paypal fee). So about $100 less than On-One.
I just paid $576, so the difference is only $50, and I'm fine with that.

Seems like the Rango/CS-496 are designed more to a 120mm travel fork (at 27.5+) and the others are designed more to a 140mm fork (at 27.5+).
According to the Planet X website, the Rango is is approved/designed for 130-160mm travel forks, with 509mm A2C being used for the geometry calculations.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I just paid $576, so the difference is only $50, and I'm fine with that.
I wasn't criticizing anyone's purchase. Just letting folks know their options. Current price under their "cake number sale" is $550 + $70 shipping, hence my $100 reference.

According to the Planet X website, the Rango is is approved/designed for 130-160mm travel forks, with 509mm A2C being used for the geometry calculations.
This reflects the lack of attention to details that I find typical of On-One / Planet X. They do say 130-160 in their frame spec, but that is inconsistent with the 506mm C2A they show in the geo chart. Or look at their complete bike build for this frame, which uses a 120mm fork. So either their chart is wrong, or their own complete bike is built outside the recommended range.
FWIW, a 140mm Fox 34 for Boost 27.5+ has a 545mm C2A. . Even adding 20% sag the resulting 517mm C2A would raise the BB 5mm and slacken the HA by 0.5 degree compared to the "intended" geometry. Seems like 120mm-140mm would be a more accurate range of suitable forks imho.

·
Rider/Builder/Hacker
422 Posts
I wasn't criticizing anyone's purchase. Just letting folks know their options. Current price under their "cake number sale" is $550 + $70 shipping, hence my $100 reference.
No offense taken - just pointing out there's a better deal to be had if you pay in GBP and let either PayPal or your credit card handle the currency conversion.

InertiaMan;12946699This reflects the lack of attention to details that I find typical of On-One / Planet X./QUOTE said:
Isn't inconsistency the name of the game when it comes to Chinese carbon frames? You can see what appears to be the same frame on several sites with different geometry numbers, so this isn't exactly unheard of. Even the big companies screw up the geometry table now and then. I've done the same geometry calculations, and would agree that 130-140mm is probably going to be the sweet spot for most. 160 does seem excessive for this frame, and I'm not going to comment on their own build spec, as it's likely kitted out as it is to hit a certain price point.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
No offense taken - just pointing out there's a better deal to be had if you pay in GBP and let either PayPal or your credit card handle the currency conversion.
Good call. I went back and checked their effective exchange rates and they are obscene: .71GBP/$ from On-One, versus .77GBP/$ from Paypal, and .79GBP/$ current wholesale rate. That is WAY worse than the rates I've typically seen from UK parts suppliers I've used. I've never ordered from On-One, but if I do, I'll certainly not let them handle the exchange. Charging 10% above the wholesale rate is robbery.

At any rate, price changed again today without explanation, despite still being in the cake sale: back up to 580 GBP.

Isn't inconsistency the name of the game when it comes to Chinese carbon frames? You can see what appears to be the same frame on several sites with different geometry numbers, so this isn't exactly unheard of.
I wasn't suggesting the Chinese sources were more consistent. Rather, I view On-One as sometimes being little more than a veneer on top of generic Asian imports; more akin to a Performance Bike and their house brands (albeit with far more diverse offerings) than a "true" bike brand that outsources production but fully retains their own robust design and engineering. I'm not suggesting there aren't some good quality (and high value) bikes available from them, just that they often seem far less thought-out than a "true" bike brand.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder what the BB height will be with 29 and a 130-140mm fork.

150mm on the original 456carbon puts the BB a bit too high to be ideal. I'm looking to reduce the BB height with a possible Rango built.

·
tranqui_yanqui
106 Posts
This bike urgently needs a review. I'm interested in it, but am skeptical of buying something sight unseen without any legit coverage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts