Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
NedwannaB
12,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's running these? Thinking about getting a set for my quasiXC/CX bike. What's the best set-up you've found, brakes on drops? Or drops & flats? How comfortable are they while in the drops out on the trails?

Thanks in advance.

JMac

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd suggest doing a search for a whole lot of Midge/ drop bar info that's been posted in the 29'er forum.

That being said, they are extremely comfy to ride in the drops, which is where they are designed to be ridden. Set the mid bend of the drops to the height that your flat bars would be set at, adjust the brake lefers for this postion- not for the flats or tops.

Be aware that if you are installing them on a conventionally designed frame (for flat bars) , you'll tyoically need a huge stack of spacers to get them to the corect height.

I run them on an Inbred and soon to be used on a Soulcraft that will be designed specifically for drops. Dig 'em ! :D

·
Where's Toto?
1,184 Posts
Most people with Midges or dirt drops ride them on the drop portion of the bars. Compare the height of your normal bars/hand position and then look at where that same position translated to a Midge. To get the same height with the Midge, the top of the bars will likely be at or above saddle height. It looks kinda goofy, but some people swear by 'em. I'd warn against setting them up for the hoods, as the levers will end up sort of angled out making that position less comfortable (at least for me).

·
Premium Member
48,161 Posts
JMac47 said:
Who's running these? Thinking about getting a set for my quasiXC/CX bike. What's the best set-up you've found, brakes on drops? Or drops & flats? How comfortable are they while in the drops out on the trails?

Thanks in advance.

JMac
See the link in my signature.

The Midge is designed to be comfortable in the hooks off road--just the way I wanted them.

·
NedwannaB
12,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone

JMac47 said:

Thanks in advance.

JMac
I guess my initial question was based on thinking the set-up would be similar to a cross bike with dual brake levers. I will do more of a search, sometimes it's good to get current input as some post in previous threads may have a new outlook!

Shiggy-Got alot of goods from your link. :thumbsup: You're in @ MBO this year??

JMac

·
Registered
683 Posts
helgi said:
It's almost level with the saddle, though. Can't see how it could be much higher than that without looking like a hybrid?

Or maybe I'm underestimating the stretch.
Some riders like the have the actual drop section the same height as the saddle. So that's why custom frames are often built with tall headtubes to accomodate this. Or you can run a stem with super tall rise to accomplish the same thing. This is why that one poster mentioned that these bikes can look odd setup that way.

Do a search for frames by Matt Chester and you'll see the custom frames made for drops.

·
'Calm Down'
852 Posts
Here's a side view of mine. Top of bar is about 1" above the saddle.

As to the brakes - Use road levers with your choice of mechanical disk, canti, or v-brakes. Currently there is only 1 v-brake compatible lever, the Dia-Comp 287v. But another choice is on the way (link).

jw

meat tooth paste said:
Do a search for frames by Matt Chester and you'll see the custom frames made for drops.

Attachments

·
Where's Toto?
1,184 Posts
There are no long pull integrated shift/brake levers on the market. If you want to go that way, you have to use one of the pulley/cams that increase cable travel from the lever to the v-brake, or switch to a cantilever brake. If you are running discs, then you can opt for the BB7 road variant which allows the use of a integrated lever.

·
highly visible
3,283 Posts
I've got Midges on 2 of my 3 bikes. I will eventually put one on the FS, but it might be a while because that will require new brake levers, shifters and (because it's currently SRAM) rear derailer.

If you're going to run "normal" cable actuated disc brakes, you'll need to run Dia-Compe 287-V levers. Nothing else that fits a drop handlebar will pull the appropriate amount of cable. The other option is to do what Shiggy has done and get the Avid road disc brakes. Those will work with any conventional road brake lever, including those with integrated shifting.

With the 287-Vs, bar end shifters are about the only thing that will fit and be reasonably reachable while riding. I have a bar end shifter on my (1x5) KM and it works great. The Vulture currently has an old thumbshifter mounted on a Profile Design computer mount nipple, but that's kludgey at best and I will switch it to bar end shortly too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.