Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

621 - 640 of 677 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
I really don't know what is happening. All I know is I tighten the chain, then a couple of rides later the chain is loose. Though before I installed the chaintug I did feel the wheel slip in the drop out. But I have chaintugs on both drop out now and still having issues so not sure what to think. Will prolly take it apart tomorrow and check it again

·
Registered
834 Posts
I really don't know what is happening. All I know is I tighten the chain, then a couple of rides later the chain is loose. Though before I installed the chaintug I did feel the wheel slip in the drop out. But I have chaintugs on both drop out now and still having issues so not sure what to think. Will prolly take it apart tomorrow and check it again
Post a pic of your setup. It might be something obvious that is just being over looked. I have used the halo bolt on style skewer. It definately isn't as thick as the ones you guys posted, but it only slipped once on the first ride. I tightend it really tight the next time and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you mark the position you bolted on the rear wheel in? What 'm trying to say is: Are you sure the wheel slips? Or do you have a chain that gets streched longer and longer? May sound silly but maybe worth a try.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Any one else running the lurcher with the single speed drop,out having issues with chain tension? My rear wheel has a 135x12mm hub and I tried using 2 different types of reducer axles and no matter how tight I try to tighten the nuts, seems like chain looses tension after a couple rides. I finally gave up and bought some chain tugs and installed on both drop outs and seems like the wheel,is still slipping., how is that even possible? The tugs should prevent the wheel from sliding forward right? Anyways, just curious if anyone has the same issue. Wondering if getting new drop outs might help
This has been happening to me as well but honestly I have been just chalking it up to chain stretch. I have had to deal with this on every single speed I have owned to some degree and maybe it's my fault for not diagnosing the actual problem, but I just check it and tighten it up after every few rides.

I like the suggestion about marking the dropout to see if the wheel is actually slipping or if it's something else.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Ive found tension changes for a lot of reasons. Bearing wear, chain being dirty or clean, cog wear, slipping bolts, etc. I have no issue with slipping on my lurcher or any other horizontal dropout bike i've owned.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Ok, time for update. So I took the suggestion above and marked the drop-out and suprisingly, it doesn't seem to be moving at all.
So I guess the chain is stretching? Anyway, I guess I'll just keep tightening it every few rides and see what happens

·
Registered
637 Posts
Same thing happens on my horizontal drop out Scandal with a Chris King SS rear hub that has Fun Bolts, I'm also using 1 On One chain tug, on the drive side.

I really crank those fun bolts up tight, with a long 8mm Allen key, so its hard to beleive that the hub is moving, yet I still get a dropped chain after 5 -6 rides.

I think running a NW chainring may help. I run an Oval chainring, which may accentuate the problem due to the chain going a bit loose, twice per revolution.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ok, time for update. So I took the suggestion above and marked the drop-out and suprisingly, it doesn't seem to be moving at all.
So I guess the chain is stretching? Anyway, I guess I'll just keep tightening it every few rides and see what happens
I think there could be other causes too. Maybe the dropouts slipping around in the frame?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Here's another data point for you guys: I am using the wheelset from my old Niner with the old-design EBB shell thingy. I have Chris King hubs with fun bolts. The same thing used to happen on my Niner. I always thought it was that bottom bracket shell slipping because those frames have fixed (not horizontal) dropouts.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I'm running the absolute black oval chain ring but I've had this issue before I changed to the oval ring. Good thing is I haven't dropped a chain since I started using the lunar bikes quick-cog. It's just annoying to hear the chain slapping against the chainstay when I'm going through the rough stuff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you run a brand new chain? And what type of chain is it? Some chains tend to stretch massively when they are new and then settle at some point.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Do you run a brand new chain? And what type of chain is it? Some chains tend to stretch massively when they are new and then settle at some point.
This is a good point. My chain is fairly new and it did seem to get pretty loose right when I put it on before settling down a little bit. Now I have to tighten every few rides when at first it was every ride.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My Lurcher, current setup. It is geared this time, converted from SingleSpeed because of the training season.

Pics, with winter tires and winter wheelset:
11085066_678782255583549_1644636739_n.jpg
11055721_1563048900622952_929738536_n.jpg
11084700_447468315429717_851668966_n.jpg

Race setup details (different wheelset+tire you can see on the pics):
part weight (g)
Frame Lurcher 29er 19,5" 1,586
Headset Smoothie Mixer 159
Fork On-One tapered 638
Headset spacer 5mm + 2x10mm carbon, Look 10
Front Shifter Shimano XTR I-Spec B 192
Rear Shifter Shimano XTR I-Spec B
Front Deraill. Shimano XTR direct mount 113
Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR Sh+ 208
Front Wheel DT XR331 29 697
Rear Wheel DT XR331 29 799
Front Brake Shimano XTR BR-M988 trail 245
Rear Brake Shimano XTR BR-M988 trail 265
Front disc Shimano SM-RT86 160mm 124
Rear disc Shimano SM-RT86 160mm 124
Front Brake ad. Shimano IS-F160+bolts 16
Rear Brake ad. Shimano IS-R160 18
Cog Shimano XTR 11-36, 10s 272
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB91-41A PressFit 74
Cranks Shimano XTR FC-M980+Stages 560 (Stages Power Meter, XTR, 175mm)
Crank bolts Shimano XTR 21
Front chainring 24x36 Shimano 84
Stem FSA OS-150 3-D 80mm +/-6° 145
Handlebar Truvativ T30 flat Noir 700 182
Bar end plugs Ritchey WCS 4
Grips Ritchey WCS foam grips 26
Quick release Fulcrum QR/135mm 74
Seatpost Race Face Ride XC 295
Seatpost clamp Thomson 34.9 29
Saddle Selle Italia SLR XC 175
Front tire Rocket Ron SSkin 29x2.25 574
Rear tire Continental Race King 2.2 ProT 614
Tubeless rim s. (not measured) ~20
chain KMC 10s SL 260
tire sealant Joe's super sealant 2x70 ml 140
chainstay prot. noname ?
mudguard tape:) 4

Weight WITHOUT PEDALS: 8725
Pedals Shimano XT 338
OVERALL: 9,063

·
Registered
717 Posts
Curious as to how long you guys Lurcher frames have lasted you. I loooovvveee the Lurchers frame geometry but it's my first cf frame and get nervous it'll break sooner rather than later.

About to convert mine to a 1x10 for the warmer months coming up, Can't wait.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Curious as to how long you guys Lurcher frames have lasted you. I loooovvveee the Lurchers frame geometry but it's my first cf frame and get nervous it'll break sooner rather than later.

About to convert mine to a 1x10 for the warmer months coming up, Can't wait.
Mine Has about 6000 miles so far. Handful of hard crashes, some chips and scrapes. Still going strong! They seem pretty solidly built.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm on the same opinion like Pivvay's. Strong and well-built frame. According to my service notes and Strava, I used it a bit more than 1 year, that's 7034 kms/4371 miles to me, mostly trails, including MTB marathon racing. ~300 km with suspension fork, remaining 6700 kms with an On-One rigid fork.
The frame has some small scratches on the paint but nothing more. The original On-One headset was the only thing I had bad success with, but that was my mistake I guess (I did less maintenance than required).
I tried it as a "fully-rigid" SingleSpeed bike for more than 1000 miles as well, no issues.

You get very good quality for your money.

·
dtheo
221 Posts
it will last until it hits a rock or similar.
mines got 2 carbon patches but 1 was to reinforce the seat tube which started cracking at the clamp

·
Cycologist
7,186 Posts
Someone may try to correct me on this, but chains do not actually stretch, they wear. And it would take more than a couple of rides to produce noticeable wear and hence a longer/looser chain. So I think your problem is elsewhere, I would suspect the EBB. My single speed is an old Jamis Dakota XC with a magic gear ratio, vertical dropouts and no chain tensioner. I have worn out a chain so that it started falling off but have not had the problem in many miles after changing the chain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking to order the frame for one of these sometime in the next month and am trying to decide on sizing. Looks like i am right in the middle of the 18 and 19.5 inch frames. I am 6' with a 32" inseam. Any thoughts on which one would be the best fit?

621 - 640 of 677 Posts