Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

The On-One Inbred was suggested to me on another forum as a good, affordable, do-most-things frame.

There's one issue in regard to the chainstays. I'm interested in using White Industries ENO cranks because of their narrower Q-factor, for the sake of my knees. I know some people poo-pooh the idea of Q-factor being relevant, but my experience tells me my knees prefer the feel of narrower cranksets.

W.I. says their ENO cranks with a 113 mm bottom bracket gives a 160 mm Q-factor. That sounds nice to me. However, the Inbred frame looks/sounds like it's got fairly wide chainstays to allow for big tire clearance. I'd probably like to use a 42T chainring up front (more for commuting/gravel/light trails than actual mountain biking).

Just wondering - are any of you using ENO cranks with your Inbred frame, and if so, what length of cranks, size chainring and length of bottom bracket are you using with them? Anyone run into issues with chainring or crank clearance?

Thoughts are much appreciated.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
I would email ON-One. In my experience they are great at getting back with answers. In fact, someone from ON-One regularly checks these boards so you may get your answer here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I measured my Inbred chainstay width at the end of the crank arm as just a hair under 4" wide. Didn't make any real difference for 175 or 180 mm cranks.
I don't think a 42 T chainring will go on the middle position. Looks like a 42 T crank has a radius approx. 1" larger than a 32. There isn't 1" of room on my 32T chainring to the chainstay.

Edit: Just realized I measured with the offset 30T chainring. There might just be enough room for a 42 in the middle position. Would depend on the chainline of the crank you are using.

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
I just switched from a Profile euro BB with 180mm Profile cranks to a standard Shimano 175mm setup. I never had any issue with fit and if I remember correctly I was at 10-11mm from chainstay to crank on both sides with the profile setup and I know I was not running more than one spacer at the BB and the spindle. Not sure that helps but it is a similar setup and I had room all around with a 32t ring. Only thing I would be concerned with is adjustability on the q factor, with a BMX style spindle I can move things around until everything is even, never used the eno's, just heard good things, but I don't know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers, everyone. I've since been in touch with White Industries, and the US vendor for On-One bikes. White Industries thinks a 42T chainring with a 121 mm square taper bottom bracket should clear the frame.

Planet-X (On-One), on the other hand, says they've generally not seen a single ring on an Inbred frame larger than about 38T. They suggested using a longer than usual BB - for example, a 127 mm square taper, to allow for sufficient clearance.

But how will this affect chainline? White Industries says their ENO crankset gives a 47.5 mm chainline with a 113 mm BB. So am I correct that a 127 mm bottom bracket would increase the chainline by 7 mm, to 54.5 mm (127 minus 113 = 14. 14/2 = 7, and add 7 mm to the 47.5 mm chainline given by a 113 mm BB)?

I plan on going single-speed, using a standard cassette hub with spacers, so I should just be able to use the spacers to shift the rear sprocket further to the outside of the hub for a straight chainline, right?

·
orthonormal
4,923 Posts
Thanks for the answers, everyone. I've since been in touch with White Industries, and the US vendor for On-One bikes. White Industries thinks a 42T chainring with a 121 mm square taper bottom bracket should clear the frame.

Planet-X (On-One), on the other hand, says they've generally not seen a single ring on an Inbred frame larger than about 38T. They suggested using a longer than usual BB - for example, a 127 mm square taper, to allow for sufficient clearance.

But how will this affect chainline? White Industries says their ENO crankset gives a 47.5 mm chainline with a 113 mm BB. So am I correct that a 127 mm bottom bracket would increase the chainline by 7 mm, to 54.5 mm (127 minus 113 = 14. 14/2 = 7, and add 7 mm to the 47.5 mm chainline given by a 113 mm BB)?

I plan on going single-speed, using a standard cassette hub with spacers, so I should just be able to use the spacers to shift the rear sprocket further to the outside of the hub for a straight chainline, right?
I run a WI ENO crankset on my offroad singlespeed but I'm using a 32t ring. I used to have an old Bianchi BuSS converted to commuter duty with a 46t ring. I found an old M950 series XTR crankset and took off the middle and inner rings. Better Q factor than running a long BB spindle on the WI crankset and it was a lot cheaper too.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
In that case, why not keep the narrower BB for a better Q-factor and put the chainring on the outside position. Then mount the rear cog for a good chainline?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In that case, why not keep the narrower BB for a better Q-factor and put the chainring on the outside position. Then mount the rear cog for a good chainline?
I'm about to ask a stupid question: How do I put the chainring on the outside position?

Edit: I don't know if it being a White Industries chainring/crank would somehow affect this.

·
orthonormal
4,923 Posts
I'm about to ask a stupid question: How do I put the chainring on the outside position?

Edit: I don't know if it being a White Industries chainring/crank would somehow affect this.
You can't do it with the White Industries chainrings. I don't know if there are others that will fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can't do it with the White Industries chainrings. I don't know if there are others that will fit.
Ah, so my hunch was right. Well, I'll be in touch with W.I. tomorrow - I think I may have misunderstood some things and perhaps can get away with using this setup after all. I'll let anyone reading know if it turns out to be successful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts