Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 2 new On One frames on the way, and am trying to decide on a suspension fork. So here is the story: I was looking for a new 29er frame to run my Alfine hub on, and I found a great deal on a steel Inbred frame and ordered one ($219 from Pricepoint). So while researching geometry and components on the On One web site, I noticed they were having a sale. So, I ordered a Lynsky built Ti 29er delivered for under $1000, also a great deal! My wife doesn't know about either one yet, but I am hoping to keep the Ti one!

Anyway, back to my question: Has anyone run a G2 fork on an On One? Yes, I searched and could not find anything. I would like to get a G2 Fox, as my other 29er SS Blacksheep was designed around a G2 fork (currently rigid). That way I could throw the fork on my SS as well. I am in the NE, so my trails are tight and technical. Any input would be appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
760 Posts
Best approach like the other thread is to determine what offset and stroke fork your frame is designed for. If it is designed for say a std. 45mm offset fork, then going to a 51mm fork will slightly quicken the steering response. Further if the frame is designed for a 80mm stroke fork with a 480mm axle to crown height, then running the Fox fork at 100mm ie. 500mm axle to crown height should dial in your steering...ergo, the greater trail of the higher sag height (slower) will compensate for the 6mm greater offset (quicker).
Hope that helps.

PS: A further sidebar to handling versus trail/fork offset/stroke/sag height is...look no further than Motobecane bikes sold by BikeDirect. The Ti Fly for example is verbatim Gary Fisher G2 geometry and yet that model bike is sold with a 45mm offset versus 51mm shock with 100mm travel versus 80mm from the Paragon the geometry is cloned from. No doubt the Ti Fly still handles well even with slack head tube angle...just not as responsive as a Gary Fisher bike with reduced trail due to a shorter fork with more offset. Handling is in the eye of the beholder. One guy's slow or twitchy is another guy's perfect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is what is on the On-one website:
80-100mm fork length only - or rigids! This frame is designed, like our other 29ers, for 80-100mm suspension (max) or our rigid fork. It's not good for 120's - though you'll be pleased to know we're working on a hardcore 29er longtravel frame for 2009. 470mm rigids work great. And as for suspension - the more rake the better - even the 51mm stuff will be GREAT.

·
The Knights Who Say "Ni"
111 Posts
bikeny said:
Thank, I must have missed that! Looks like it should work fine. Now I just need to find a G2 fork! Anyone?

Mark
I got one from Wheel and Sprockets in Wisconsin, they rock,. got it for less than $400, they took it off a Gary Fisher. It is a Fox F29 RL 100 mm fork (G2).

J

·
Registered
76 Posts
The ti29er inbred is a fantastic piece of kit, I love mine, currently running it with a 20mm bolt through reba set at 100mm travel and ss, I don't think the g2 fork will make much difference to the handling.

·
Welsh Dave
254 Posts
The offset on On-One's own rigid fork is 47mm.

"No compromise design - 29ers fork rake "correct" 47mm"

So, if you're concerned about changing the frame's handling, it's half way there already, & will be less affected by fitting a G2 fork than many other frames.

Good luck with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.