Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of research, and thought a Haro Mary XC sounded ideal for me, but then I just read that it has a low headtube height, more like a traditional xc bike. I would actually prefer a little more of a trail bike/comfort feel in the cockpit (not too low bars-to-seat), and like the higher headtube of the Niner SIR.

Anyone with experience with the Inbred 29er, does it have a relatively high or low headtube height??

Also, what is the maximum travel fork you can use with the Inbred 29er?

Thank you for your help! :)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
kawarider said:
...but then I just read that it has a low headtube height, more like a traditional xc bike.
Hmmm...interesting question. Both the Inbred 29 and Mary have front ends designed around a 470mm a-c length fork (give or take a few mm's) and have 72 degree head angles. The head tube on the Mary is 90mm for the smaller size and 100mm for the larger size. Unless the Inbred has a significantly taller head tube, they are roughly the same.

If your saddle height is in the stratosphere, your bar/seat height variance won't be XC racer like. And if you want the front end taller, it's simple to convert the Reba fork to 100mm travel from the stock 80mm.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
the inbred 29er is designed around the Reba at 100mm (correct me if i'm wrong brant)

if this thread is still around when i get home i'll measure my headtube for ya

i personally find the inbred has a very "trailbike" feel to it, definately doesn't feel like a super racerboy frame

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey ssmike and ferday,
Thanks for the replys.

ssmike-
I'd be looking at the 16" frames. The 16" inbred has a 71d headtube angle (vs the mary 72), but I don't know how much of a difference that would make.

Also, excuse the ignorance on my part, but how do you convert the Reba from 80mm to 100mm... just an adjustment on the fork?

About the significantly taller headtube... approx. how many mm is "significantly"? I've noticed 10mm in stems makes a big difference, so would 10mm in headtube length be a lot? Thanks!

Ferday-
yes, that would be great if you can measure the inbred29 headtube length and post it here. Thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've had both an 18" Inbred and a medium SIR 9. With the frames I had, the Niner's headtube was a little bit shorter than the Inbred. Approximately 3 or 4mm difference. Both are going to be right around 100mm total head tube length. I ran both with a Reba set at 100mm.

I wouldn't worry about the head tube height. It would be easy enough to adjust the cockpit using a stem with more rise, a bar with more rise or spacers under the stem.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
kawarider said:
ssmike-
I'd be looking at the 16" frames. The 16" inbred has a 71d headtube angle (vs the mary 72), but I don't know how much of a difference that would make.

Also, excuse the ignorance on my part, but how do you convert the Reba from 80mm to 100mm... just an adjustment on the fork?

About the significantly taller headtube... approx. how many mm is "significantly"? I've noticed 10mm in stems makes a big difference, so would 10mm in headtube length be a lot? Thanks!

Ferday-
yes, that would be great if you can measure the inbred29 headtube length and post it here. Thanks!
The current production of 16" Mary is 71 degree to get the front wheel a bit further away from big feet. The head tubes are 90mm on the 16" & 18" frames and 100mm on the 20" size. I'm not sure what the On-One head tube lengths are, but Brant may chime in.

To change the travel on the Reba, you have to pull the lower legs off the stanchion tube. Not hard, but if you don't have the right tools or replacement fluids, best left to a shop. There is a travel spacer that is snapped on or removed from the internal damper rod to change the travel between 80 and 100.

10mm in stem height isn't that significant to me (1" would be) so maybe my word choice is a bit incorrect. The Mary bikes are shipped with three 10mm spacers so stem adjustment up or down is possible. The tallest position is pretty tall coupled with the 7 degree rise stem and riser bars. Maybe not lazy boy couch-like, but not racer-like.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks ssmike, good to hear that the Haro Mary xc isn't really "racey". Looks I'm back to my original plan-- save more $, test ride a mary, have a 29er by summer! I might be wrong, but it seems like it will be harder to find an inbred to test ride (or any other bike that is sold mainly as a frame-only-- I know it comes as a full rigid ss, but I'm looking for geared w/ suspension). I'm sure I'll have more questions until then. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.