Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
821 - 840 of 1810 Posts

·
Registered
7,505 Posts

If you use a small multigrip tool this is an easy job.

One jaw on the left nearside of the link shown above, and the other on the right far side, quick squeeze, and it's done.

·
Registered
698 Posts
what is the orange rim strip? Is it something grime resistant, or is it ribbon?
Anyone know of what to use that will resist soiling while being available in multiple colors, and is fairly light?

I was thinking colored vinyl or cloth backed vinyl tape stuck sticky side to sticky side to a wider tape, so that the overlap can stick to the rim.
Is this what others are doing?
does it work well?

G

·
Anyone know of what to use that will resist soiling while being available in multiple colors, and is fairly light?

I was thinking colored vinyl or cloth backed vinyl tape stuck sticky side to sticky side to a wider tape, so that the overlap can stick to the rim.
When searching for material i went to a local fabric outlet with literally thousands of colors, material types, remnants of all sorts of shapes n sizes. I wanted white and found what was a vinyl table cloth 5x6' so i cut 2" strips for marge lites that worked perfectly.

·
Registered
293 Posts
what is the orange rim strip? Is it something grime resistant, or is it ribbon?
In my case duct tape. 23 grams for one loop on the rim. Mud washes off fine. Red Electronic device Orange Carmine Plastic

Plenty of threads on this forum where people have many nice solutions.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Does anyone have any severe hops in their tires? I noticed I have it mine. Each one has it and it does not seem to be related to the tube. Ive moved the tires on the rim. Rims are true and have no hops.

Cant really feel it at low speed. But high speed it is a problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have big hops in my two tire+tube+wheel, but I think it is from the very narrow tubes I use (Schwalbe SV13F, 190 g each, the on-One weight 610 g !).
Downhill I feel these hops a lot !

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just changed my tubes to the Schwalbe FR and had a b!tch of a time getting the tires seated properly without hops... what worked in the end was applying some soapy water to the beads and then inflating to a high psi... voila, no more hops.

BTW, I dropped 2 lbs of weight in the process.... cheapest diet for this fatty...

·
Registered
69 Posts
The tire hops because the bead isn't centered around the rim. You have to be very vigilant in getting the tire to inflate evenly around the rim. The tire is seated off-center. This is operator error. Easy/kinda to fix. Deflate the tire, rub something slippery around the bead(Dawn dishsoap diluted a bit works), and keep the tire/rim off the ground while inflating. If still having trouble, you may need an extra pair of hands keeping the tire equal spaced on the rim while you inflate it. The problem is the tire bead falls into the large center section of the rim, and then pops up unequally onto the bead seat. Work with it, and all will be well.

G

·
Does anyone have any severe hops in their tires? I noticed I have it mine. Each one has it and it does not seem to be related to the tube. Ive moved the tires on the rim. Rims are true and have no hops.

Cant really feel it at low speed. But high speed it is a problem.
hops are the main contributor but rest assured they are also out of balance more than folks would suspect. These fat tires no matter the make / model can have severe weight bias in a section.

821 - 840 of 1810 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.