Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

Registered
I'm running 34x11-36 on a 2015 kona unit, stock p2 fork, ec44 bottom cup with 29 inch wheels and maxxis hookworms 29x2.5. I'm going to be switching to 32t up front because climbing is very essential part of where I live. I've been debating about buying a dropper post. I'm digging the whole urban mtb thing and just taking advantage of the street. It's not too often that I get the chance to go out on the trails.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I kinda of wish I was on 29er wheels. That way I could roll longer distance with less effort. That's why I'm trying to figure out best gear set up. But definitely the dropper is awesome!!!馃憤

Registered
29er tires do roll over obstacles quite easy but I would imagine that 27.5 would be more maneuverable. Those are just some thoughts I've had for some time now. I could covert to 27.5+ but the cost of building wheels outweighs the purpose of the project and lowers my bb by 1/2 inch.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

J:
Anybody go from 45650b large to Deedar, how does the compliance between each steel frame feel? Seatstays obviously configured different, but I'm wondering how they compare at higher speed hits -tia

Registered
If anyone is interested in the weight of DeeDar.
I've just received size M in black color and it weights 3.05 Kg with the included rear axle.

Registered
Mine weights in at 30 lbs built. Using various parts none bought on the count of weight.

Sent from my ASUS_X008DC using Tapatalk

Registered
I bought the 45650b large frame to replace the carbon 456. The carbon was extremely light and extremely stiff. Like jar your feet worse than Nordica World Cup ski boots on a cold day on ice stiff. Not fun. So I swapped parts over to new frame and it all around was a huge change. 45650 frame felt very compliant and damp without feeling flimsy or springy or flexy. Even with the 26" wheels and fork it handled great. This last April I ordered the 17" Deedar complete gx 11 spd build. It's geom. is very different from 45650b. It wheelies and manuals better than my dirt jump bike. I ride very steep technical trails that are usuall wet and it's rooty. This bike make every little root, rock, log etc drop fun. Allows you to enjoy every little feature you run into. The frame is stiff and solid. Not as bad as the carbon but not as forgiving as the 45650b. I'd take Deedar geom and 45650b build. I'm very happy with the deedar however. Very fun. Also I've found the 140 Yari fork perfect. i think a 160 may make it difficult on steep climbs.

Registered
I built up a white size L Dee Dar at the beginning of the year. I managed to get it on sale and it was a real bargain. I had a full set of 26" parts including a 160mm Pike that came off a cracked 2011 Enduro. I used a Nukeproof headset which is a very affordable option and easy to choose the right option thanks to a very good online catalogue. I used slx brakes, 203 rotor up front and a 1x10 set up with a Sunrace cassette. Stans Flows in 26" with a Funn rear hub and Giant 100x15 up front do wheel duty.

I am thoroughly enjoying the bike. It works beautifully with 26" wheels and there are no pedal strike issues. I run a Magic Mary 2.3 up front and although its superb it does slow the bike down a bit on the uphills. A hardtail naturally weights the front wheel more than a dual suspension bike. This leads to massive cornering grip on descents but more drag on the flats and ups.

This has become my go to bike for winter rides and quick sorties from home. It is an easy bike to jump and handles drop offs well although it is all too easy to damage the rear rim.

I am presently looking out for the mythical beast namely 26" almost plus tyres. Anyone have any suggestions...

Attachments

Registered
i give up mountain biking about 4 years ago due to time and family commtments used to have a giant anthem x4 ive just purchased a deedar which i had my first run yesterday and loved it needs a few tweeks as it threw me off lol rased the bars might shorten them 800mm seems a bit big got a bit of a bargain a guy built it all brand new parts except the wheelset and seat but had a injury which made him stop riding
NEW PARTS
full slx m7000 groupset drive train and brakes
hope headset
truative 40mm stem
funn bars 800mm
brand x 120mm dropper
xfusion rl2 sweep 160mm forks
used wheels but immaculate stans 27.5 on superstar fuel hubs
got it for 拢500
which seemed to be a steal to me

Registered
Building up a 2016 large in the next few weeks and could use a little clarification on specs to find the parts I'm missing.

Can anyone confirm the following:

BB size and type
Headset sizing (was the '16 44/44?)
Will a 150mm dropper be too long without hacking off part of the seat tube?

Appreciate the help in advance!!

Registered
Building up a 2016 large in the next few weeks and could use a little clarification on specs to find the parts I'm missing.

Can anyone confirm the following:

BB size and type
Headset sizing (was the '16 44/44?)
Will a 150mm dropper be too long without hacking off part of the seat tube?

Appreciate the help in advance!!

I ended up just getting the headset from Planetx with my Deedar frame because specs were confusing. From what I got from their site the headset should be 44mm ID/50mm OD. Here鈥檚 the headset info I ordered, FSA HAFOITA. BB size is 73mm n run a spacer on non drive side. Also I run a 150mm dropper on my large Deedar. I have the dropper post sticking out about 1鈥 above seat tube. Hope this helps

Registered
The headset is an typical size used in Brit steel hard tails. Nukeproof make a very decent one and their online catalogue is very easy to understand. They are also very well priced. Shop at CRC.

I have a large frame but usually ride an XL. I run a 125 dropper but could fit a 180mm dropper on my bike so I doubt you'll have any problems with a 150.

Registered
I ended up just getting the headset from Planetx with my Deedar frame because specs were confusing. From what I got from their site the headset should be 44mm ID/50mm OD. Here鈥檚 the headset info I ordered, FSA HAFOITA. BB size is 73mm n run a spacer on non drive side. Also I run a 150mm dropper on my large Deedar. I have the dropper post sticking out about 1鈥 above seat tube. Hope this helps
How tall are you and whats your inseam?

Registered
Bought a large frame in 鈥16 as a contingency frame and have slowly bought parts for it. All it needs now is for the dropper post to be installed. As someone mentioned the routing hole is on the wrong damn side of the downtube.

What did people who went internally do about this? Run cable in from the same left side or have it come around from the right but over the downtube?

PS this is an old thread, but some misinformation:
BB is 73mm
Headset is 44mm internal. You want a zero stack 44/28.6 for the top and an external cup 44/50 for the bottom (for a tapered fork). As people have said nukeproof makes a good affordable one
Seatpost is 31.6, collar is 34.9

Registered
Anyone ever attempt to run their DeeDar plus? I have a ton of space out back that looks like it could fit at least a 2.8.

Registered
I put some 27+ wheelset, RF ARC40 with 2.8 tires n it would rub lower inner chainstay. Prob could run a 2.6? See my pics in this forum馃

Registered
@mtnbikerdude no issues with diameter though? I'm thinking maybe a WTB Trailblazer in a 2.8 since they run small to begin with. I swear I look down there with 2.4 Onza that run big and it looks like I'm staring into a black hole with how much room I have going to waste.

And then just chuck the burliest 3.0 I can find up front for all that sweet sweet traction.

Registered
No issues with diameter of rims but issue with 3.0 Maxxis Recon. Whenever I jump to land tire would rub lower chainstay. Upper chainstay has plenty of room. Good luck馃榿

81 - 100 of 103 Posts