Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I was hoping to be sharing build pics by now but have run into some difficulties.
I purchased a Deedar frame at the start of January, it was faulty.
For the last 6 weeks I have been trying to get them to send me a replacement, no luck.
This is the kind of response I receive...

I have taken all of the images and e-mail correspondence and had a VERY careful and thorough look into this.

This is a BSA threaded bottom bracket for BSA threaded cups. On a BSA threaded bike the drive side (Right) is threaded in a clockwise direction so the cup has to be tightened in a clockwise direction to fit. On the other hand the non-drive side (Left) is threaded in an anti-clockwise direction so the cup has to be tightened in an anti-clockwise direction. In summary the cups are always tightened in the same direction the wheels turn in when in a forward motion. This is to stop the cups from loosening when pedaling.

The photos that you have sent showing the threads do appear to be correctly milled.

Your last video is very interesting as you are inserting the cup into the drive side (Right) and turning it in a clockwise direction as shown by the tighten arrow which is correct. However there is a 'L' stamp saying that this is a left hand cup.

I do believe that the frame's bottom bracket shell is threaded properly and has not been cross threaded allowing installation both ways. I would recommend checking the bottom bracket cup which may be mis labelled.

Kind Regards,

As you can imagine I'm less than thrilled with my purchase experience.

IMG_1393.jpg IMG_1312.jpg

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,496 Posts
Flip the frame upside down, then the cup labeled left will be on the left side. ;)

Does the other cup thread in?

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
356 Posts
Ran into the same problem on an Inbred 29er frame. No matter what I tried I could not get the BB to install/seat correctly. I ended up taking the frame into my LBS and had then clean/chase the treads. After that the install went silky smooth.

My best guess is there was paint built up in the treads and that caused the problem.

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,496 Posts
So, can you get the non-drive side cup installed?

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,496 Posts
This is like one of those mind puzzles and it's driving me nuts! If a train is going south a 60mph, and the wind is blowing north at 40mph...

If the drive side threads in clockwise, then the cup in the picture has been mislabeled, and there should be no way to install it on the non-drive side. And if the other cup is labeled "R", and threads (anti-clockwise) into the left side, it just confirms the mislabeling, and it's not On-One's problem.

Perhaps both cups have the same threading, but one has an "L", and the other one has an "R". Still not On-One's problem.

Then there's this: shouldn't the arrow on the non-drive side cup be pointing the other direction, pointing anti-clockwise?

·
RAKC Industries
3,265 Posts
OK have to edit:

OP IS 100% CORRECT.

I'm staring at 2 bikes using Shimano bottom brackets just like his.

His threaded BB housing is in backwards. His BB is correctly labeled.

However it IS POSSIBLE that this is intentional for the reason they say. But their idea is flawed. If you take a bearing and spin the inner the outer will actually want to turn the opposite direction (hard to do I know but that's how this is done in most mechanical instances). Thus while pedaling the cup would only "tighten" if threading was set for the opposite direction.

Won't hurt anything and like I said, may be intentional design. BB has loctite, if it torqued it won't come loose regardless.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,496 Posts
If you take the cup in the picture above and rotate it 180 degrees, move it to the NDS, wouldn't the tighten arrow be pointing in the wrong direction?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you take the cup in the picture above and rotate it 180 degrees, move it to the NDS, wouldn't the tighten arrow be pointing in the wrong direction?
Nope, both sides are supposed to tighten the opposite way to the crank movement when pedalling.
On this particular frame both tighten the same direction as the crank movement.

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,496 Posts
Nope, both sides are supposed to tighten the opposite way to the crank movement when pedalling.
Then the BB truly is welded in backwards. I'm still kinda baffled about the labeling. I did some photoshopping to show how I see it. I flipped the picture horizontally so the "L" cup is on the left side and the arrow points the correct direction (up, anti-clockwise), but that's not how it'd be. The right side shows the Tighten, L, and arrow pointing the direction it would go. Even if the threading of the BB shell was correct, wouldn't the arrow need to point up instead of down?

cups.jpg

·
RAKC Industries
3,265 Posts

There is how a proper Shimano bottom bracket install should look. That's the Ultegra BB on my road bike. The XT BB on my fat bike is the exact same way.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,496 Posts
Well I'll be damned. I guess it really is in backwards. I don't have any arrows on my Sram BBs

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,496 Posts
I guess I didn't fully comprehend this earlier, I was thinking they tighten in the same direction as crank movement. You'd think I would know after wrenching on bikes for as long as I have, lol! I still get confused with BB and pedal type stuff.

A simple search and I could have figured that out earlier. From Park Tool:

·
Pipe Dreamer
5,496 Posts
I surprised Sram don't do the arrows, they are really useful.
There might be arrows somewhere on them, I don't remember.

So what are you gonna do? Maybe you could send On-One a link to this thread?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So what are you gonna do? Maybe you could send On-One a link to this thread?
I'm guessing somebody did as I got an email Friday telling me they are waiting on confirmation from there supplier if they can send a frame to me.

I'll believe it when it's on the way though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts