Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

On One Codeine

74K views 139 replies 58 participants last post by  Billytheskid 
#1 ·
I find lots of teasing going on latelly on facebook and twitter about the On-one Codeine prototype, their new mid travel trail slayer full suspension bike. I think it´s becoming time to ask nicelly :) about some final specs, frame weight, geo/size charts, stealth post compatibility, colors, what kind of builds and boundles we can spect... everything really! the aggresive geometry whitout too much travel concept looks appealing.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

See less See more
#13 ·
Haha, I have a Trance 29er which for all intents and purposes would fit into the same market as this. I am sure I would regret parting with it as well.

Also have a 45650B but broke my ankle recently and doubt ill be doing anything rowdy on a hardtail for some time. So, the 650B Codeine gets my attention - a bit more jumpable than the Trance and easier on the ankle.

So if may is killing you - imagine waiting on the proto haha. Hopefully its not too long since its based off the 29er.

#14 ·
Yeah I see you're anguish. I love the 456, flicky, light but batters the old hinges over the rocky bits and my mate puts time into me there then I haul him in on the twisty stuff. Personally I went for the 29er as I wanted something "differenter" lol and still get a bit barmy. Can't see the frame being that different for 650B (I'm no expert), get a codeine and 160fork hehe.. How does your 45650B rate?

#15 ·
You will love the long travel 29er. Poeple always mention roll over - but the momentum of the 29er just rolls longer, so spread that over a ride and you have more energy to ride longer. Thats one of ym favorite upsides to the 29.

4560B only had like 2 rides on it prior to crashing, but it was fun and was easy to get airborne, which is what I was after.

#21 ·
First setup thoughts.

Sorry but here's another pic of her ready to roll after work tonight. Will post first ride impressions tomorrow or Friday. ;) What I can say is at 14st (89kg) in kit I went to 125psi in CC for 15mm sag (50mm total shaft travel) and went 90psi in forks (didn't check sag). Quick road spin confirmed she fits really well, medium frame and I'm 5'11" (1.8m), bars are 760mm. I normally ride clipped but last night's taster on flats in my fivetens, could be my monkey stance but both sides on the swing arm bore witness marks. Easy to rub off now but I'll know more tonight. Can always bar tape them anyway. Feels nice, easy to pop up though I'm no wheelie king and I reckon the brakes will be more progressive than my XT's. On a build note for me the reverb button is better under the bar left side (shifter on right of course) cos under is where my thumb is ;) and it's out of the way for trails side repairs etc. Something they may do for you when speccing a build. More laters.....

Attachments

#25 ·
Hi nitrous will do after work. Had a couple of rides so far and can say I was buzzin after. My isp isn't playing fair at the mo' no internet at home till weekend I'm told. So hopefully be able to share some thoughts then. This tapping out on the Moby ain't for me ;)

#30 ·
Review or just babble....

On one Codeine
Well three rides around my local/fav haunt Llandegla and time for some thoughts. After the first ride it became immediately apparent ALL manufacturers should include chain stay protectors though some may disagree of course, it got battered. Top tube shows dulling from shorts and any contact with cables needs protecting asap if you want to keep you baby looking good. Looking from the rear the dropper cable was routed left of frame with the guide fitted below the top tube. The effect with the seat dropped was severe tyre rub on said cable. I solved it by taking the seat post out and feeding it through the frame so cable came out right side looking from rear.
When you go out first ride might be handy to have a couple of small sockets with a reference line scribed on for the two pairs of adjusters on the CC (cane creek) shock. The supplied tool is handy for small adjustments though.
Nitty Gritty: There are enough reviews about the pikes already. These are my first and work great but so do the xfusion slants on my 456ti. I have the CC set with 135psi for my 14st riding weight and for firmer ride characteristics. Out on the trail this bike rocks! Seat position works well for climbing and climbs as well or better than anything I've ridden so far though I haven't done any techie climbs. Like they say, it winches. Single track twisty stuff it loves just as the vid and I didn't detect any wheel flex. Strikes me when you're flat out on rough ground, handles as well as the tallboy I test rode but the BB doesn't seems as low (no pedal strikes). The 760mm bars feel instantly at home and in the air this thing feels well balanced from the off. As for the brakes smooth and well controlled is how I would describe them. Not as sharp as my xt's but plenty powerful and confidence inspiring. Can't fault the tyres in the dry, not tried them in the wet yet but roll pretty well and no grip issues though my mate on his Gyro coasted past me on a little freewheel comp we do, think he's on mountain kings. Interestingly my mate asked me what I could see from the cockpit as we rode along some flat ground now maybe it's a slightly forward bias but in front of the bars I was seeing almost the rear of the top of the fork legs if that makes sense making the Codeine feel slacker than my 456ti which IS actually the slacker with a 10mm longer stem and can only see the front edge of the forks. What I'm getting at is the Codeine feels slacker and therefore more stable but still changes direction easily. The drive train deserves a mention as it performed flawlessly though on a few occasions I changed up coming into a climb, lifetime on Shimano eh? Looking forward to some natural rides ie Lake District now. All in all I'm a happy bunny, if your riding is enduro type you'll love it. Hope this helps. Btw I spotted the 650b proto at Llandegla last Saturday very similar to the Codeine as per frame, shock and linkage but noticeably slacker. Any questions feel free peeps.
Rachael Gurney has been racing one at local/national level until she broke her collar bone last weekend she has done a bit of blogging about it.
Mini DH ? The Codeine goes Downhill! | rachaelgurney

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.