Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Goes to 11
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love my new Reba Team 29er, but.. i find myself locking it more and more whenever possible, so it only seems 'logical' to 'go rigid' even when the going gets tougher..

I want a good rigid fork that will be able to take some abuse, and still be a little forgiving,
I also need it to have 'new geo' offset - meaning at least 45mm offset and about 470mm A2C.

both the On-one Carbon fork http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/info_FOOO29SCF.html
and the Niner new steel fork http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&parts=true&taxid=120
seem to fit the bill, and both will look nice with my brushed Carver.

any recommendations ?

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Can't speak for the Niner, but I like the On-One carbon so much I have fitted it to several bikes.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I tried both on my older Niner SIR9. I ended up going with the Niner, but that was because I liked the longer 490mm A to C on the older version of the Niner fork. They are both really nice forks. The On One is significantly lighter, but I couldn't feel the weight difference on the trail. The difference in ride quality was really hard to detect. The carbon fork might be slightly smoother, but they are really close in that department. I think you can pretty much decide based on cost and which fork will look better on your bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have only experienced steel forks myself. I like the substantial look and feel of the steel forks I own, that and the Niner fork looks beautiful.

·
Goes to 11
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd rather not

jonw9 said:
Can you compromise and get the Niner carbon fork? ;)
Judging from some pics i saw at the Niner forum, it certainly looks great in combination with the beefy tubes of their CF frame... however, I prefer the looks of the above mentioned options in combination with the skinnier ti/steel frames.

that... and the fact it costs twice as much...

·
fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
448 Posts
Steel provides some peace of mind with respect to impacts/gouges, but carbon is nice and light.

Really depends on how much you're willing to spend versus your enjoyment on the trail. A nice steel fork (like a Waltworks, ~$350 custom) is quite nice (yes, I have one and I love it). I've ridden carbon only a few times, so unfortunately no input there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts