Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
anyone know the inner rim width for a carbon rim? despite the recession, DT Swiss and Enve appear to employ idiots in the marketing department who don't list inner rim widths.

sorta like manufacturers who forget to list the width of the mtb handlebars they are selling.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Wow, something I actually understand. For simplicity, think of the tire as a rectangle. As it gets taller and skinnier, its volume slowly shrinks, until volume approaches zero at the limit of infinite height and no width. The same applies as it gets wider and shorter. So, somewhere in between the two extremes -- a mid-width rim -- the tire volume is at maximum. IME, that's usually on a rim of around 28 - 32 mm outside width.

Yay, high school calculus proven to be of use in every day life!

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
I wonder what else these rim manufacturer makes...probably rims for someone else, surely? Any idea about rim price?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Flyer said:
I wonder what else these rim manufacturer makes...probably rims for someone else, surely? Any idea about rim price?
Just as the tires (frames, cranks, stems...) for many brands are made by a few manufacturers, so are rims. Only a few brands are made in factories owned by that brand.

I have not heard of a price yet, nor has the final spec been set.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
When it comes to carbon, I'd need to know before I buy...to see what the track record is for other rims/components made by that factory. I only use Syntace carbon bars. I'll probably trust ENVE bars given their rims' track record. So far, I'd only use ENVE rims when it comes to carbon. I'm also not stoked about using carbon rims with drilled spoke holes....not till some major rim bashing has taken place with these other carbon rims.

shiggy said:
Just as the tires (frames, cranks, stems...) for many brands are made by a few manufacturers, so are rims. Only a few brands are made in factories owned by that brand.

I have not heard of a price yet, nor has the final spec been set.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Flyer said:
When it comes to carbon, I'd need to know before I buy...to see what the track record is for other rims/components made by that factory. I only use Syntace carbon bars. I'll probably trust ENVE bars given their rims' track record. So far, I'd only use ENVE rims when it comes to carbon. I'm also not stoked about using carbon rims with drilled spoke holes....not till some major rim bashing has taken place with these other carbon rims.

Dont ever take up road riding then.
Frames, bars, stems, seatposts, rims all made in Asian factories and then rebranded with the high end stickers before having a gazillion percent mark-up added and sold to the end user.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
Not even a close comparison. I do road ride (carbon frame too) but the rims do not have to take the hits and impacts a mtb rim has to take. In fact, ENVE rims may be next on the roadbike (mtb too) but I stay cautious on the mtb and avoid carbon stems and seatposts.

TR said:
Dont ever take up road riding then.
Frames, bars, stems, seatposts, rims all made in Asian factories and then rebranded with the high end stickers before having a gazillion percent mark-up added and sold to the end user.

·
Registered
294 Posts
why things are made in china.
A huge labor force that is willing to work for cheap wages, however as wages there are creeping up you can expect to see the sweat shops of the world being relocated.
Don't be dissin the chinese those people work hard for the money!

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_13/b3977049.htm

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Flyer said:
Not even a close comparison. I do road ride (carbon frame too) but the rims do not have to take the hits and impacts a mtb rim has to take. In fact, ENVE rims may be next on the roadbike (mtb too) but I stay cautious on the mtb and avoid carbon stems and seatposts.
maybe not the same size impacts but even road rims, forks and frames can see a lot of abuse on rough roads because a 23c tire at 100psi absorbs significantly less force than a high-volume mtb tire at 30psi

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
boomn said:
maybe not the same size impacts but even road rims, forks and frames can see a lot of abuse on rough roads because a 23c tire at 100psi absorbs significantly less force than a high-volume mtb tire at 30psi
Agreed and at far higher speeds a lot of the time.
And with no suspension fork to soak up the hits either.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
speaking of ENVE rims, the AM carbons have an inner width of 24 mm (the outer width is 28 mm). that's a small difference, 4 mm.

so who knows, maybe the On One rims will have an inner width of around 21 mm. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
sadly, turns out that On One is reporting an inner rim width of 17 mm. :madman: I suspect that no one at On One owns a ruler, let along a caliper, and the initial report of an outer width of 25 mm was a mistake.

so I guess these will be useful for 2.1 tires and smooth trails. oh well.

link here.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
frorider said:
sadly, turns out that On One is reporting an inner rim width of 17 mm. :madman: I suspect that no one at On One owns a ruler, let along a caliper, and the initial report of an outer width of 25 mm was a mistake.

so I guess these will be useful for 2.1 tires and smooth trails. oh well.

link here.
The first carbon rims will be XC race oriented. About 25mm outside width and 17-18 inside. The carbon is a bit thicker than aluminum.

But we are still tweaking the profile, inside and out. And I would like to see at least a 19mm inside width. I may be overruled. We should have revised samples in a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
shiggy said:
The first carbon rims will be XC race oriented. About 25mm outside width and 17-18 inside. The carbon is a bit thicker than aluminum.

But we are still tweaking the profile, inside and out. And I would like to see at least a 19mm inside width. I may be overruled. We should have revised samples in a couple of months.
according to the info on the link i posted, the On One 400 g heavier-duty (32H) version of the rim will also have the same, narrow internal width, which was a disappointment to hear.

any info to add?

·
Registered
640 Posts
shiggy said:

Maybe you should start an MTBR petition to show On-One that 29er riders want a wider carbon rim.

Might give your argument more weight at your next board meeting!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bump . . .

Any news? It's about time that the carbon rim market for 29ers starts to have some real options besides the $1600/set rims that are currently available.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts