Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Cost?

A little narrow for my liking, but looks nice for a set of race wheels. Anyone have an idea on cost?

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Can someone please explain is carbon rims are good for rigid riding? I always hear how they are so much stiffer, and I'm wondering if that means they will beat you up more when riding rigid... I'd appreciate some feedback on this.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
anyone know how to estimate inner rim width for a carbon rim? for aluminum, subtracting 5- 6 mm from the outer width works pretty well...

·
bike tester
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Futon River Crossing said:
Shame they're so narrow :( And a bit too colourfull as well - brings out the weight weeny in me though!!
Why does everybody get hanged up on this? I run 2.4 Ralphs just fine on 19mm Mavics.

·
Fat & Single
4,128 Posts
Same here, i cant notice the difference between my Crests and Flows with 22psi in 2.4 RR's.

On-One says sign up for the newsletter if you want to be in first on the pre order. Will be keen to see how they price as On-One is always very cheap compared to others.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Can someone please explain is carbon rims are good for rigid riding? I always hear how they are so much stiffer, and I'm wondering if that means they will beat you up more when riding rigid... I'd appreciate some feedback on this.
I can't speak for dirt specifically, as I'm still too hard on rims to even think about carbon. (in ways that would destroy/chip a carbon rim)

However on the road, my carbon rims are much more comfortable than aluminum rims. They are stiffer in corners/acceleration, I can a run higher spoke tension and yet they absorb all the road buzz. I suspect the same would apply on off road riding.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Brad Bedell said:
However on the road, my carbon rims are much more comfortable than aluminum rims. They are stiffer in corners/acceleration, I can a run higher spoke tension and yet they absorb all the road buzz. I suspect the same would apply on off road riding.
+1 I had the same experience on the road.

·
bike tester
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a steel fork in my hand and a friend hit it with a ruber hammer... it kept resonating for almost 30 seconds.

And when i bought my first carbon bars they felt like the toughest most rigid bars i ever had... while standing still.

That's how i learned why carbon is "magical", it doesn't vibrate like metal so it absorbs a harsh ride like a damper, but it's not flexy either.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not so light I think for a carbon rim... You can get alloys in this weight range... They should be plenty stiff though, but I rather see a sub 300gr carbon rim!

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
GTR-33 said:
Wider rims yield a tire with a wider footprint and greater volume.
Yeah, but at 25mm wide these are similar to the Arch and Crest.

I always wonder about the wider footprint AND greater volume statement.
If the tyre is filling out wider, how does it also get taller???
Does not stack up to me.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
GTR-33 said:
No one said anything about it getting taller... In fact, it should be slightly shorter.
Well volume means larger all over to me.
Really a wider rim just gives a wider footprint but a lower sidewall height then??

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
TR said:
If the tyre is filling out wider, how does it also get taller???
Does not stack up to me.
Because tyres are arches rather than enclosed shapes.

Wider rims make the side walls of the tyres closer to straight and vertical, so the tread becomes slightly further from the rim, tyre gets taller. By a teeny tiny amount.

The tyre would only start getting shorter if the rim was wider than the tyre or if the tyre's profile was very close to square.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
TR said:
Well volume means larger all over to me.
Really a wider rim just gives a wider footprint but a lower sidewall height then??
In general, a tire gets slightly shorter and wider on a wider rim. But It varies with the tire and rim. I have a couple of posts on my site with measurements of tires on different rim widths.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
shiggy said:
In general, a tire gets slightly shorter and wider on a wider rim. But It varies with the tire and rim. I have a couple of posts on my site with measurements of tires on different rim widths.

This I agree with.
It seems physically impossible to me to stretch something wider but that it gets taller at the same time.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts