Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
With a 445mm fork, you could run a first gen Fargo fork. That would give you two bottle cage mounts (but not the Everything cage mounts)
The Fargo v1 is a little short with too much offset for the current frame.

The fork I am using is on the short side with not enough offset.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
So into this right now. Guess I will be saving my money for when this comes out and doing an entire build.
Question(s):
1. will you guys be building a specific fork to go along with this like the pompino/macinato framesets?
2. what would it take to incread the tire clearance for a 2.1" tire? Thinking it would be cool to grab some 2.1 WTB Moto Raptors and throw them on there (something that is a bit more knobby).
3. Will this be 26", 700c or 29" adventure bike?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
So into this right now. Guess I will be saving my money for when this comes out and doing an entire build.
Question(s):
1. will you guys be building a specific fork to go along with this like the pompino/macinato framesets?
2. what would it take to incread the tire clearance for a 2.1" tire? Thinking it would be cool to grab some 2.1 WTB Moto Raptors and throw them on there (something that is a bit more knobby).
3. Will this be 26", 700c or 29" adventure bike?
1. That is what I would like.

2. To fit a 2.1" tire would mean not being able to use the compact road crankset/gearing. The chainline gets wonky if you try a 50/34 double with chainstays that clear bigger tires.

2.1 I have tried Fire XC 29x2.1 and they rub slightly at times, with a perfectly true wheel. A Bonty Mud X 2.0 clears fine.

3. 700C wheels but as you know 29" is also 700C. Just depends on tire width

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
1. That is what I would like.

2. To fit a 2.1" tire would mean not being able to use the compact road crankset/gearing. The chainline gets wonky if you try a 50/34 double with chainstays that clear bigger tires.

2.1 I have tried Fire XC 29x2.1 and they rub slightly at times, with a perfectly true wheel. A Bonty Mud X 2.0 clears fine.

3. 700C wheels but as you know 29" is also 700C. Just depends on tire width
Sweet thanks for the answers shiggy... Make sense to go with the ability to use the compact road crank in there vs a larger tire. I am assuming that the new GEAX Evolution 29x2.0 would be perfect for this thing then. Interestingly enough I dig how you have it setup with the orange rims and all. I know, kinda strange but hey it would get you noticed. Really hoping this goes to production next year (early would be SWEET!!!) as I would be on the boat to buy one, even a proto at this stage.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Sweet thanks for the answers shiggy... Make sense to go with the ability to use the compact road crank in there vs a larger tire. I am assuming that the new GEAX Evolution 29x2.0 would be perfect for this thing then. Interestingly enough I dig how you have it setup with the orange rims and all. I know, kinda strange but hey it would get you noticed. Really hoping this goes to production next year (early would be SWEET!!!) as I would be on the boat to buy one, even a proto at this stage.
One of my favorite tires for this bike (and the steel custom that inspired it) is the Schwalbe Smart Sam 700x47 (28x1.75). Rolls pretty well on pavement. Does well on dirt. Just a little squirmy for hard fast cornering on the road (like most knobby tires).

The new Geax tires are on my radar.

I powdercoated the rims for use on that custom frame, which has a blue/silver/orange fade. I also have a set of Bicycle Wheel Warehouse Pure wheels with blue anno rims and hubs.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,425 Posts
I am pretty onboard with this bike. I'm building up a MCF to do my urban crawl (with the aforementioned Smart Sams), light singletrack and maybe some commuting with the full fenders. If it could take larger 29er rubber and rail singletrack, it really would be a great bike.

I sorta think it should fit 2.1s, but that is just me, as I would not be really interested in running anything less than 35mm.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts