Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Your final weight

Hey Sir_Crackien - what's your final build weight?

The more I ride my bike - the more in love with it I am. I rode a 20km loop on the weekend - fast and flowy trails - pretty groomed with the odd really fast bits. The bike just carves and is soooo smooth it's ridiculous. It actually feels like there's an inch of travel at the rear. I've also managed to get rid of all chain slap / other sounds so the bike rides completely silently which is brilliant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine arrives tomorrow

just ordered one after this reveiw i wanted a long travel bike because i was sick to death of creeking noises on all my full sus bikes after a few months of riding here in the gloopy uk
and yes i do look after all the bearings, so i just wanted a lower maintanence bike and i hope this is the one.

The frame will have

sunline v1 65mm stem
kore torsion 800mm bar i might cut this down
on one smoothie head set
slx crank
slx bb
crank bros candy pedals
xt rear derailler slx front
mavic 721ex rims on superstar switch evo hubs
tires wtb prowler ss 2.3
fox float 140mm rl through axle fork
ks 900i seatpost
sdg ti seat
sunline grips
hayes stroker trail brakes 180mm front 160 rear but will be changing for slx brakes
gear cables not sure yet may be jagwires or gore

will update some pics soon

·
Registered
232 Posts
leehine said:
just ordered one after this reveiw i wanted a long travel bike because i was sick to death of creeking noises on all my full sus bikes after a few months of riding here in the gloopy uk
and yes i do look after all the bearings, so i just wanted a lower maintanence bike and i hope this is the one.
will update some pics soon
my sentiments exactly.

sir_crackein said:
lso i have not forgotten about my follow up post. I have gotten about 35 mile in on her now and i will be riding more on it this weekend as well. after this weekend i will post my ride report on handling and such. just to clue you guys in though it is going to mostly be very good.
Looking forward to the ride report.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Anyone have better pictures of the 456 in deep blue, I swear it looks purple when viewing the on-one website. But on unrealcycles.com it looks like a true blue.

·
Off the back...
2,278 Posts
A 456 Carbon 18" frame is on its way. The build:
Whatever headset comes with the frame
Fox TALAS 36 RC2 160
Ragley Stubbing stem
Sun V3 riser
some grips
Shimano SLX brakes
Shimano 540 pedals
Black Spire cranks + BB
Selle Italia Flite saddle
Control Tech post
Ragley seat QR
XT 9spd rear shifter
SLX shadow rear der
Black Spire Stinger
XTR chain
Hope Pro II hubs
DT 5.1D rims
Ardent 2.4 - F
Conti Rubber Queen 2.4 - R
11-32 SLX cassette

·
Off the back...
2,278 Posts
It's here! Installed the HS, BB, crank, chainguide, rear dropouts, rear brake, rear derailleur, pedals, seat, seatpost, seatpost QR. Time to pull the fork from the EG and finish the job.

My initial impression is that the frame is very light, and looks good. I did notice residue from whatever process they use to install the frame gluons [can't call 'em braze-ons 'cause it ain't steel] for the brake hose mounts, etc. It wiped off easily, and will soon be covered in dirt, so I'm not about to get bent out of shape. The BB shell threads were slightly discoloured, but the BB threaded in smoothly by hand, so I don't care. The headset shells were similarly discoloured and a little rough, but a headset is a friction fit, so that's good. The headset installed easily. The rear dropouts bolted up nicely. The SLX caliper fits quite nicely in the nook/cranny of the chain and seat stays.

Pics to come...

·
some know me as mongo
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sorry for being so quite on here. I have been out of the country alot lately for work. I am actually overseas right now. I will need some more time to write a good ride report.

As for right now though my bike is about 26 pounds with the heavy tires on. It will be in the mid 25's when i get some different tires in this sucker.

I can say that i am very happy with the ride of the bike so far. it steers well though the twisties and feels stable everywhere i have had it thusfar. There are atleast 2 trails i need to get it on before i can give my full report. i have a feeling its going to be a good report!

also i have made one custom item for the frame which i will comment on later ;)

I will write more soon i promise

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's here! Installed the HS, BB, crank, chainguide, rear dropouts, rear brake, rear derailleur, pedals, seat, seatpost, seatpost QR. Time to pull the fork from the EG and finish the job.

My initial impression is that the frame is very light, and looks good. I did notice residue from whatever process they use to install the frame gluons [can't call 'em braze-ons 'cause it ain't steel] for the brake hose mounts, etc. It wiped off easily, and will soon be covered in dirt, so I'm not about to get bent out of shape. The BB shell threads were slightly discoloured, but the BB threaded in smoothly by hand, so I don't care. The headset shells were similarly discoloured and a little rough, but a headset is a friction fit, so that's good. The headset installed easily. The rear dropouts bolted up nicely. The SLX caliper fits quite nicely in the nook/cranny of the chain and seat stays.

Pics to come...
Let us know how it rides with the 36 up front, I know the frame is rated for 160, but a 5 lb fork on a 3.5 lb frame just seems like it would be unbalanced. Currently i'm on a 6.5lb frame with a 4lb fork and it is real easy to get the front end up/jump the bike. Maybe I'm way off though, geometry and rider skill set may play a bigger role?!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Let us know how it rides with the 36 up front, I know the frame is rated for 160, but a 5 lb fork on a 3.5 lb frame just seems like it would be unbalanced. Currently i'm on a 6.5lb frame with a 4lb fork and it is real easy to get the front end up/jump the bike. Maybe I'm way off though, geometry and rider skill set may play a bigger role?!
I do not think it makes that much difference. I am using a Pike 454 (no idea of the weight, but not light) on the 456 Carbon and have no issues with lifting the front. Have been jumping it more than any other bike I have ridden.

·
Hi.
3,865 Posts
That's a sharp ride, shiggy. Got any more pics on another thread, or some up-close stuff you can post here? Also, where was that pic taken?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
That's a sharp ride, shiggy. Got any more pics on another thread, or some up-close stuff you can post here? Also, where was that pic taken?
That pic was at Redstone Cycles in Lyons CO.

I do have more pics. What would you like to see?

These are from Salida CO, Broken Mesa (St George UT), Skeggs Point CA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
That pic was at Redstone Cycles in Lyons CO.

I do have more pics. What would you like to see?

These are from Salida CO, Broken Mesa (St George UT), Skeggs Point CA
Dang! Those where small and fuzzy. These will likely be too big.

Attachments

·
Uncle
4,294 Posts
Geo angles clarity?

Shiggy, as a company guy, I'm aiming for you with this message, but anyone with concrete answers is welcome to chime in.

As per the On-One website, I see 67.5/71 with an unsagged 120mm fork. On Unreal's website, I see 69.5/73 for the same frame. On top of that, I've heard that this frame really shines with a 140mm or longer fork. :confused:

Can someone clear this up? Would really help, as I have solid numbers from my current frame to compare to.

Thanks much.
-E

ps - I think I saw it somewhere before on here, but any searches I try with less than 4 letter words ;) yields nothing. Guess I could try searching "four five six" but I don't think that would be useful. Heck, while we're at it: If someone knows how to get search results with shorter-than-four-letter words, I'm all ears. thx

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Shiggy, as a company guy, I'm aiming for you with this message, but anyone with concrete answers is welcome to chime in.

As per the On-One website, I see 67.5/71 with an unsagged 120mm fork. On Unreal's website, I see 69.5/73 for the same frame. On top of that, I've heard that this frame really shines with a 140mm or longer fork. :confused:

Can someone clear this up? Would really help, as I have solid numbers from my current frame to compare to.

Thanks much.
-E

ps - I think I saw it somewhere before on here, but any searches I try with less than 4 letter words ;) yields nothing. Guess I could try searching "four five six" but I don't think that would be useful. Heck, while we're at it: If someone knows how to get search results with shorter-than-four-letter words, I'm all ears. thx
The specs on the On-One site are accurate AFAIK. The Pike I am using is a U-Turn. I have ridden through its whole range (95-140) but mostly at 120 to 140. For narrow and fast descending I like using 120. Rougher and more open, 140.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts