Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
some know me as mongo
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to start things off I just got my On-one 456 Carbon today from over the ocean. I will be taking may photos and will be posting anything i find out about this frame. Sorry in the advance for not posting nicer photos. I feel like a slacker as well because the garage is way too messy

To clear anything up. I do not work for. ride for, or have any affiliations with On-one or Any other brand. I have worked in the bike cycle industry for many years as a mechanic. I will be detailed and none bias with my post. I will also be updating this post as i build and ride the bike.

Now that we have got that cleared up here are some stats.

I have a 20" Carbon 456

frame weight with dropouts:
3.34 lbs
1510 grams

this is only 10 grams over the claimed weight and that is on the largest available size.

Eff Top tube = 24.5"
actual top tube = 23.9"
seat tube c-t = 20.0"
chain stay = 16.75"

those are exaclty what they say on the website

The Build

This have to be the flattest and the cleanness cut bb shell ever. SERIOUSLY! I had no shavings on the chasing tool and only took off the smallest amount on the bb surface. I have biult the whole bike now and all i have to say is that it was one of the easiest biulds that i have ever done. Everything just fits on this frame. There was no fighting with anything on the bike, for those that don't know this is a very rare treat. The cable routing is very clean and easy to figure out. all runs on the housing are short and precise so there should be very little drag in the system. This should end up with a light feel at the shifters. I an kinda suprised at the final weight though, 26.94 lbs, but that completely has to do with my componet selection and not the frame.

Fork: 2010 Revelation team with BB internals and a tapered steerer; light, strong, stiff
headset: Chris King tapered (this thing is not light BTW)
stem: Raceface atlas AM
h-bars: Raceface atlas FR; these things are stupid wide, i might have to cut them down a bit
shifter: XT 9sp
brakes: XT 8" front, 7" rear
grips: Oury
saddle: WTB pure; not light, but sould be comfy
seatpost: Crank Brothers Jolpin 75mm; never ran a dropper post and got this one super cheap. if i like it i will probably get the reverb
seatpost clamp: performance Forte. cheap light
cranks: 970 XTR, 24-36t raceface rings and the new e.13 bashgaurd
pedals: XT
chain: XT
Cass: XT 11-34
front der: XT
rear der: XT shadow SGS; this thing is crazy low profile. if it wasn't it would have been killed by now
hubs: Hope pro2's F=20mm, R=Q/R
Rims: Mavic EN521
spokes: DT swiss 14/15
nipples: DT swiss Alloy
Tires: Kenda Excavators; they are heavy and roll kinda slow but they just grip on everything.
tubes: something light

Pictures below

sml-0008 by simplexityphoto, on Flickr

sml-0007 by simplexityphoto, on Flickr

Here are some general pics of the frame.

sml-0006 by simplexityphoto, on Flickr

sml-0005 by simplexityphoto, on Flickr

sml-0002 by simplexityphoto, on Flickr

sml-0001 by simplexityphoto, on Flickr

Here is a pic of the headset thing that was mentioned below. It looks like it might be an issue in the upper cup as well depending on the headset you use :(

sml-0004 by simplexityphoto, on Flickr

Notes:

thusfar after looking over the frame, it has many small defects in the clearcoat. these defects range from scratches, orange peel, paint run (only one and its very hard to find), and numerous small pits in the paint.

when putting the dropouts in i had to put out the file and clean up the holes that the extra long chainring bolt go though. not a big deal but it still had to be done.

on the upside the dropout themselves are increablily well machined!

as is the smoothy mixie headset. i'm not using the headset purely because i have a king available.

the handbar looks good. nothing special in a very good way, its just too narrow for me.

Well got to go for now I will post alot more in the next few days

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cool, I cant wait to hear how this thing rides. I see all kinds of reviews that say best bang for the buck, and for the money its a great bike. Ive only ever ridden one bike and it was a 90s trek carbon so I dont have much to go by.

Anyways excited to see pics.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$
884 Posts
Been happily riding mine since last November but always interested in checking out other builds and hearing other opinions as well. I built mine nice and sturdy to replace a Santa Cruz Chameleon and it's been a stellar bike so far.

One word of caution for you on the headset though. I was running a cheap Cane Creek 1.5 external bearing lower cup and the On-One Smoothie Mixer top cup while I was waiting for my Chris King mixed taper headset to arrive. When I was ready to swap out the headset I realized that there is a protruding lip on the lower head tube insert that prevents me from using my Park Tools headset remover on the lower cup. When I contacted On-One to get some advice on this, here's the response I received,

"I've spoken to our technical guys, and unfortunately you are going to need to sacrifice your Kane Rreek (sic) headset to get it out. You will need to grab the the headset cup in a bench vice and turn the frame. We designed it this way to stop heavy handed people destroying their frames." :eek:

I usually only keep frames for a few years before I get bored and resell them to fund the next project so I just decided to just leave the Cane Creek in place. Minor thing overall but thought it was worth mentioning here.

·
some know me as mongo
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on the headset deal it is true, there is a funky lip in the inside of the lower headtube that will prevent the removal of the lower hearset cup :mad: but like MondoRides said just put the headset you really want in the first time. also i have added more above and hopefully will be posting alot more in a few hours

·
some know me as mongo
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a point of reference. I have owned more frames than i wish to count and that goes for most other componets as well. this is because i use to work at a bike shop for a number of years as a master bike mechanic for them. I now actually get to have fun riding my bikes! but the bug to try new things is still ever present from working at a bike shop. It is also important to know that I am not your average size cyclist. I'm 6'5" tall and 260 lbs at the moment. I am pretty light when i am at 230 lbs. I ride my bikes hard but with in their designed limits. I am not going to take an XC bike DH'ing and so fourth, but i do expect a bike to take what it is designed for. even though i am not light i love to rip the trails with my friend and really pin it when i am by myself. I ride a night, on the hottest and coldest days of the year, high and low. I do not let my size from stopping me from going on any trail. i have done 3 on the "epic" ride in Virginia some totaling over 25 miles of linear single travel with almost 1 vertical mile of climbing. I ride if its mud or dusty as hell.

Basically what i am saying, this bike will be put through its paces with me and nothing less. i promise to ride its braining out and take it too its designed limits (but not beyond).

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have not found removing lower headset cups to be much of an issue. If it is a deep cup like the smoothie mixer - it is harder because there is very little room between the lip mentioned above and the cup to get the removal tool to grip on so you will likely have to use a big flat blade screwdriver. Cups of 10-15mm are easy to remove.

This bike is unreal. I've built mine with burly bits and I thrash it with no issue other than destroying rear wheels which can't take the same level of abuse. Geometry is the most dialled of any bike i've owned (and l've owned too many). This bike would be a bargain at twice the price.

·
some know me as mongo
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm am starting the feel the same way as you.

·
just ride
760 Posts
Thanks for mentioning about the headset, MondoRides.

On their site, it says something about the Revelation Fork will not work on 16" frame. I sent them an email this morning and still waiting... I really like the HA, weight and price on this bike but if I cant use Rev fork, I may have to look at something else. You guys know the reason why? I also read about it being 1 1/8 and now 1 1/8 top and 1.5 lower. Which one is it? I would like to stick to 1 1/8 just because I want to be able to share these forks on my other bikes.

·
some know me as mongo
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thusfar i cant see why the fork wouldn't fit. i have a revelation 150mm dualair tapered steerer on mine.

Also i have not forgotten about my follow up post. I have gotten about 35 mile in on her now and i will be riding more on it this weekend as well. after this weekend i will post my ride report on handling and such. just to clue you guys in though it is going to mostly be very good.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Tjay said:

On their site, it says something about the Revelation Fork will not work on 16" frame. I sent them an email this morning and still waiting... I really like the HA, weight and price on this bike but if I cant use Rev fork, I may have to look at something else. You guys know the reason why? I also read about it being 1 1/8 and now 1 1/8 top and 1.5 lower. Which one is it? I would like to stick to 1 1/8 just because I want to be able to share these forks on my other bikes.
You should be getting a reply from the home office in the UK over night.

I am guessing the head tube is a bit shorter on the 16" and the taper on fork steer tube a bit long so the top part of the HS hits the taper and can not be adjusted.

You can use a straight 1-1/8" steerer fork, which is what I have on my C 456.

Top cup is a 1-18" Zero Stack, the bottom a 1.5 external. Our Smoothie Mixer HS uses a reducer crown race for straight steerer fork. swap crown races for a 1-18"-1.5" tapered.
Similar headsets are available from other companies.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
sir_crackien said:
thusfar i cant see why the fork wouldn't fit. i have a revelation 150mm dualair tapered steerer on mine.

Also i have not forgotten about my follow up post. I have gotten about 35 mile in on her now and i will be riding more on it this weekend as well. after this weekend i will post my ride report on handling and such. just to clue you guys in though it is going to mostly be very good.
Looking forward to your report. Do not forget the pics.

I have a couple of rides on my sample so far and am liking it. Still getting use to the straight bars, though. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tjay said:

Hi Tjay, the problem we uncovered recently is that Revelation forks with a tapered steerer don't fit the 16" Carbon 456 frame as the taper is slightly too large to fit flush inside the shorter head tube. To our knowledge this has only affected a handful of customers, and we are working on a solution. Essentially we are looking at getting a series of +3-5mm crowns made for our headset in order to see what fits best.

Revelations with a standard 1.125" along with our Smoothie Mixer headset steerer will fit a 16" Carbon 456 no problem however.

Hope that makes sense? Let me know if I can help further.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
weaver84 said:
Pretty excited about this bike.... Subscribed--

@Shiggy, are you an American Dealer? Or, are there U.S. dealers?
weaver, I work for On-One. Unrealcycles.com is the current US distributor and we will have the US On-One site up soon.

I am enjoying the heck out of the 456 Carbon.

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
shiggy said:
weaver, I work for On-One. Unrealcycles.com is the current US distributor and we will have the US On-One site up soon.

Does that mean we will start getting free shipping or reduced shipping vs the +$100 it is currently?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
pfox90 said:
Does that mean we will start getting free shipping or reduced shipping vs the +$100 it is currently?
Shipping and delivery will be much easier and cost more apparent. Details TBD

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$
884 Posts
shiggy said:

This is great to hear! I had a good experience dealing with Unreal Cycles on my 456 Carbon pre-order but they obviously don't carry all the On-One products or variety of options and the shipping fees from On-One direct is cost-prohibitive at best.

Hopefully we'll see better packaging with the orders as well. I ordered an OEM Fox Float 140 from On-One UK for my 456 last year since it was a great deal even with the expensive shipping. They shipped it to me in a wheel box with the unprotected steerer tube sticking thru a hole in the packaging! :eek: Thankfully it still made it here intact.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts