Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My morning ride was ugly. I hoped the rain would hold off, but it came while I was riding. Soon I had chain suck and was walking up every hill. Ugh. Ride was cut short.

Got home, sat down to do some cleaning and see if I can improve the drivetrain. What to do in when stuck inside? Let your UGI run wild, of course! :D

First off is my new blingy wheelset that got their second ride today. (Ok, so I kind of jumped the gun a little bit.) My wife hated the orange jerseys, so I'm no longer "Dude In Orange Shirt." I'm "Dude With Orange Wheels." :D

What's next? Well, I got the 20mm endcaps for the hubs as well as the QR ones. So maybe something boingy to replace my cheap ebay special fork...

Whatchoo thinking about while tinkering on rainy days?

Attachments

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
So you got the I9 after all? Is that a Sultan?

Right now, I'm playing Xbox with the kids and browsing MTBR. Not much else to do...

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zorg said:
So you got the I9 after all? Is that a Sultan?

Right now, I'm playing Xbox with the kids and browsing MTBR. Not much else to do...
Yeah, a Sultan. I realized I had enough spare parts for a whole 'nother bike if I just got the frame. Then just a couple days later I found out about the Turner '08 frame blowout. Clearly a sign from above. :p

I've been chasing my boy around the house. Thank goodness he's napping so I could sit down and rest a bit. And work on the bike a little. Ooops, sounds like he's waking up...

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and about the I9 wheels. It didn't take long after ordering the frame for me to go from, "I already have everything for a functioning bike," to, "Some fancy wheels would be nice..."

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also went for a ride today.I was at Skeggs for a couple hours in the rain.It was so sloppy and muddy that chain suck became a bad problem.I had a blast but the chain suck took it out me.

Now I'm thinking about how to fix the chain suck problem or maybe look at getting a different frame.

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what to use $ from my x-mas bonus and raise at work on. I've shredded knee warmers on my last couple rides from crashing, so im getting a few pairs of the $10 versions. My shoes are pretty trashed to, need something new with a really stiff sole. Any ideas? Bikes are pretty dialed upgrade-wise. Don't need a thing!

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Would it be "too much reality" to suggest using the money to help a family in need? Not to be a downer, but there are a lot of people out there these days that are suffering, so rather than succumbing to the impulse to buy, maybe consider a less traditional use of your good fortune. Just an idea...

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Plim said:
Whatchoo thinking about while tinkering on rainy days?
I dig that green, but I think your saddle clashes with your rims. You should go with an all-white saddle.

I had some chainsuck with my Sultan, forgot what I did to get rid of it.

Personally, I think your fork should be your next upgrade.

What I think about:

1. Tires? Still looking for the ideal combo. Have settled on Ardents/Highrollers for the time being.

2. Can I get away with one more rider before I have to bleed my brakes?

3. Should I buy another Sultan?

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TLL said:
I dig that green, but I think your saddle clashes with your rims. You should go with an all-white saddle.

I had some chainsuck with my Sultan, forgot what I did to get rid of it.

Personally, I think your fork should be your next upgrade.
Ugh! I hate white. My saddle is eight years old and falling apart. It's too comfortable to get rid of, though.

My chain was a bit worn so I put a new one on. Hopefully that'll help some.

And yes, the bright green frame and bright orange hubs/spokes are not exactly subtle. But I like 'em.

SJenson: How often do you crash, anyway? At your speed I'd think you'd damage more than just leg warmers when you go down. (I got no help on shoes. The ones I wear were discontinued.)

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
I appreciate your restraint. I edited my post as well so that it doesn't sound so "holier than thou." In reviewing it I realized it sounded a little judgmental. It was just meant as an idea anyway. I didn't mean for it to sound like a value judgment.

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
Plim said:
SJenson: How often do you crash, anyway? At your speed I'd think you'd damage more than just leg warmers when you go down. (I got no help on shoes. The ones I wear were discontinued.)
I've been pushing it a bit lately and eatin' it once every ride or 2, (aka-once every day or 2) and have been pretty sore. Was racked up most of the summer with little nagging injuries etc.

My sidi's are a couple yrs old and falling apart, was looking at the shimano m225's and the new specialized s works shoes. Have heard that both have super stiff soles.

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
Nice wheels Mike.
I'm considering a pair of I-9s myself once the new bike is paid for.
as far as UGI goes, the new carbon bike weighs 30lb and i'd love to find a way to lighten it up but since I'm broke and the thing has just about all the lightest parts i'd want on it I'm looking for ways to lighten my fat a$$ up. If i lost 15lb, that would be like a free bike upgrade.
On the donating to charity front, y'know. trips-for-kids in San Rafael has a real shortage of donated 29er parts AND they give receipts for tax purposes. ;)

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
SJensen said:
My sidi's are a couple yrs old and falling apart, was looking at the shimano m225's and the new specialized s works shoes. Have heard that both have super stiff soles.
The Shimanos are great, and stiff. No regrets. My Sidis have taken a back seat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.