Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I think you're probably going to spur some discussion around the idea that the highest bottom bracket is the best. Riding bikes with lower bottom brackets does require learning to time your pedal strokes when riding in rocky terrain.

·
Suckin wind like a boss
1,680 Posts
why would you want a higher bb? higher bb= higher center of gravity. higher cg = less control.

theres a reason why bike manufacturers strive to keep the bb as low as possible. some of the newer, nicer full squish bikes have adjustable linkages in the rear that can raise the bb slightly, but less than 1/2 inch generally.

youre better off with a lower bb, and better bunnyhopping skills. til then expect bent chainrings up front.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,084 Posts
Cannondale Beast of the East

Probably the most clearance you'll get.

...and you could get rid of the big ring and go 2x9 for more clearance.
Of course, it's 20 years old... :D
I'd have to think there is a reason they don't make it any more.

-F

PS - Mo' betta'

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Very Nice. I had a riding partner years ago with a Beast of the East, and he loved it. Thereafter, I bought an Intense Tracer with a high bottom bracket, and I loved it too. In my opinion, it's not about bunny hopping skills, it's about clearance when you are moving over certain tight and/or twisty terrains where bunny hopping is not practical. And simply eliminating the big ring will not help pedal clearance. I now own a Trek with a lower BB height, and it can be a little frustrating concentrating on pedal strokes instead of terrain.

To answer the OPs question, I no longer have my Tracer, but Intense still sells bikes with nice BB clearance. I am not saying low BB clearance doesn't have it's advantages, but in some terrains, a high BB can really help.

Edit: Just looked over the Beast of the East pics again and must comment on the classic Syncros components. I had the same. The stem was fantastic and bomb-proof for those days, with the exception of the proprietary top-cap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback.

RE: "higher bb= higher center of gravity. higher cg = less control"...I guess that is also an issue with 29"?

Unfortunately, Penny Farthing is no longer available.

Intense Tracer is really interesting...radical linkage, but will have to find more details about it.

Guess going 29" would also help get the bottom bracket up higher as well. Love me some rock scraping...

Any others alternatives are also much appreciated...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,237 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback.

RE: "higher bb= higher center of gravity. higher cg = less control"...I guess that is also an issue with 29"?

Unfortunately, Penny Farthing is no longer available.

Intense Tracer is really interesting...radical linkage, but will have to find more details about it.

Guess going 29" would also help get the bottom bracket up higher as well. Love me some rock scraping...

Any others alternatives are also much appreciated...

Thanks again.
Here ya go...
Vulture Cycles tall bike

29er BB ht is no different than a 26" bike.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
This has a high BB. It's the only bad trait the bike has. And it does make cornering harder, especially tight steep switchbacks, going up or down, when you are going slow and balance is important.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,084 Posts
...I guess that is also an issue with 29"?

Guess going 29" would also help get the bottom bracket up higher as well. ...
No.

29er BB's are the same height as 26ers.

To your original question, I think a 12" BB height (sagged if you have suspension) is a good compromise, esp. on a 29er, which has a slightly longer wheelbase than a 26er. I've gone just a 1/4" lower and felt like I was always dragging something. And I ride lots of rocks in PA where purposeful pedal strikes are part of the game. 12" seems to j-u-st clear everything while 11-3/4" j-u-st nicks everything. Cornering is still very good at 12" though - but I wouldn't want to be higher.

-F

5 Posts
highest bottom bracket bike ?

hello all im new to this site , ive been riding mountain bikes since april 1986, and bottom bracket height has always interested me i had a raleigh maverick mountain bike was my first, i always used to moan they should have higher bottom brackets, then i saw a cannondale in 1987 and thought wow, then in june 1992 many bikes later i got a cannondale m600 special edition beast of the east, i went up the mountain and cleaned them rocks that used to get my chainrings, ive still got a beast of the east, love em, since 2004 i got into trials cycles and looking for extra height, in 2008 i got a czar ivan with +60mm bottom bracket height, then i saw a marc vinco pro model with +80 yes +80mm bracket height, well finally this year my luck came in they reissued the marc vinco excessboy frame i got an whole bike for £500 POUNDS bear in mind these frames alone once cost bare £600 , so ive yet to find a trials, or mountain bike with more than a +80mm bottom bracket height, thanks all for reading, darren:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts