Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other forks out there at a descent price that would slacken the HA a bit but are as light as a Fox?

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
Interesting you say that.

I acutally ride my Talas at 120mm, and with the ventana 4mm king headset spacer, so effectively a 125mm fork. BUT that is how I have it set up for riding in Michigan, tighter singletrack. I love it that way here.

BUT, I'm getting the new talas that can bump to 140mm so when I head out east or west, to more technical riding I'll have a fork that is effectively 145mm or so as far as ride height.

Have you considered the 07 Talas - that extra 10mm might help you.

I really wish the new Talas would have retained the "dial" for travel adjustment as you can really get the headtube pefect. On the other hand, the Ventana spacers for the king headset sure are nice for that also.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Check out Pace's RC41 XCAM's. Super plush 130mm fork that is only 1595g (https://www.pacecycles.com/product.asp?catID=2&subcat=466). Deals with everything you throw at it from an XC/all mountain perspective (including the worst/best of Coed y Brenin, North Wales, UK) and is never fazed. The older versions are tempremental but my late '06 version doesn't seem to suffer from the same problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with the Pace xcam. Just hope you get a good fork. My seals popped out twice and the stiction was irritating. Sent it off to Pace and when they came back WOW. Super smooth and plush. Must have put 06 seals in. Good luck if you buy one. If they work, they are the best.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I've been riding mine for well over a year now with a Manitou Nixon Platinum. The 5point5 was designed with a Manitou Minute and an axle to crown of 505mm. The Nixon has an axle to crown of 518mm. So 13mm. (0.51 of an inch) taller, which should slacken it out by about half a degree. It has IT (Infinite Travel) adjust and can be set anywhere between about 40mm. and 145mm. travel without a change in spring rate. It is claimed to weigh 4.1lbs.

The old 130mm. Fox forks have an axle to crown of 500mm. Shorter than the Minute and therefore steeper. I assume the new 140mm. forks have an axle to crown of 510mm. I can't confirm that but it would put them in the ball park. Several guys with small or medium frames complained about Fox forks hitting the down tube. I don't know if that has been sorted on the 2007 forks.

Ronnie.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,405 Posts
speaking of those king spacers...

if you currently have a talas, and you just want to slacken it out a bit, Ventana makes the 4 and 7mm spacers for the King headset. That can also help you micro-adjust the HT Angle. That is my plan if I find that the Talas at 120 and the 4mm spacer is just too quick, I'll get the 7mm spacer. (really wish the Talas had retained the dial-adjust travel).

But, the ability to go to 140mm and slaken it out in techie stuff should be nice.

·
Homer's problem child
1,320 Posts
If $$ is an issue, get a Pike 454 Air U-turn and throw on a 4mm or 7mm Ventana race to get a slack HA you would see with a AM1 set at 140mm +.

If $$ is not an issue get a Lyrik, but $900+ for that fork scares me until i hear some reviews of actual production forks with some time on them. I am hoping to get a used Lyrik next season to try out.

I personally am running a Z1 light set to 140mm on my 5.5 and think the weight is ok, it's definitely nose heavy but pure butter. I'm not really trying to build the lightest 5.5 either, mine is about 32# and built to take a beating.

My $0.02

B

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talas with Ventana Spacer

Great suggestions. Problem is the Talas steerer is just long enough to fit me. If I put on a spacer, won't that shorten my steerer even more?

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Brihombre said:
Great suggestions. Problem is the Talas steerer is just long enough to fit me. If I put on a spacer, won't that shorten my steerer even more?
Yes it would. Provided what stem you have, you could perhaps get one with a shorter height.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I initially set my 5.5 up with a RS Revelation. With the limitation of the head angle what is the point of the 5.5 inches of tavel??? I went to an AM1 and it is purfect. The ETA and the TAT make the fork totally flexible.' The ETA enables a steeper head angle for the climbs than the Revelation did. The extra pound up front isn't noticable to me and if you're going to add some weight for benifit the fork is the place to put it. I'd be hesitant on the SL as Zoke's dual air are a bit sketchy.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Used maverick?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have AM1 on 5.5 Now. Ti Spring Saves How Much?

I love the fork but I am trying to get rid of some weight. Ti spring might be the way to go. Thanks for all of the replies. Charles, I got the fork from Price Point. It is the 05 Desert Storm color. Let me know if you can get the ti spring and thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts