1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to Google and nothing came up.

Anybody know best way to wash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Typically, you would wash a softshell garment using low-sud/fragrance free detergent, on cold/cold settings and then hang to dry. There are products specifically made for them (like those made by Nikwax) if you need to re-up the water repellency. Personally, after having used/not used such products, I'd call it a wash (no pun intended); I find that if I NEED water repellency, the softshell is not the correct garment, and I screwed up. Incidentally, you should keep in mind: the better it repels water, the worse it breathes--there is a trade-off.

Did you cut the care tag off the garment? They're typically around the waist on pants, or sometimes at the bottom of a pant leg on sports wear.

Atsko Sportwash is a good product to keep around for activewear/hunting clothes, and is reasonably priced for a HE/no fragrance detergent.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
That’s what I ended up doing. Seemed fine when I hung up to dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basic rule of thumb for active-wear: Wash on gentle/cold, hang dry to avoid tearing it up and extend the life. Sometimes, it's not a bad idea to put it in the drier to re-activate the water-repellant layer, but the drier in general is pretty rough on these kinds of things.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Basic rule of thumb for active-wear: Wash on gentle/cold, hang dry to avoid tearing it up and extend the life. Sometimes, it's not a bad idea to put it in the drier to re-activate the water-repellant layer, but the drier in general is pretty rough on these kinds of things.
Is that re-activation a real thing? I just hang up all the things knowing heat will degrade textile. All the lint the dryer collects is broken-down fiber. I only put towels and some cotton pants in the dryer, everything else is wicking and dries within hours (it comes out of the washer almost dry). All washed on "warm". I want stuff to actually get clean.

So far I washed the OMW pants once, don't remember how long it took to dry, but wasn't extremely long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts