Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received it on Friday. I figured I'd show how it was installed.

If you are interested in one for your Fatboy, give OMM a call because the rack needs a taller lower mount (that's what they told me).

As you know, the two screws on the seat stay are mounted forward on the shoulder, so the support arms will not line up without modification. OMM will include a pair of band clamps (to be mounted by the rim on the seat stay (which the support connects to - alternate method of attachment).

The band clamps that came with my kit were too small to fit around my seat stay at that location, so instead of waiting to get a larger set, I opted to modify the support arms.

First I mounted the support arms on the seat stay to get an idea of what needed to be done.

All that is required is a simple twist to the end that connects to the rack itself. The twist is done at this location which will allow adjustment of the rack once connected.

Nothing needs to be done to the end that connects to the seat stay. It will bend on its own. I used a nylon washer and a metal washer to create a spacer (nylon against bike). This kept the support arm off my frame. Metal washers come with the kit. I got the nylon washers from the hardware store.

To make the twist, just stick it in a vice, and use an adjustable wrench to twist it. It's really easy and should look something like this when complete.

Well that's pretty much it. The only thing is I'm not sure if there is enough space for a mud shovel (rear fender) between the rack and the tire.

Here are the rest of the pics for reference.

If I get motivated, I might remove the support arms and paint them black.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since this posting I have been talking with Channing from OMM and he will be refining the "fatboy rack package". He is aware that the Fatboy requires larger band clamps (if using the alternate method of mounting as described in the thread linked above).

I also have some mud shovels enroute, and the plan is to mount them between the tire and rack. OMM siad they would send larger lower brackets if the rack needs to be raised to accomodate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Received the larger lower brackets and longer support arms. The rack sits at just the right height now to fit a rear mud shovel. Great customer service from OldMan Mountain.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397701842.243821.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts