Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No camera on Lance when he crosses the line?
WTF

"Just like last year, Lance dropped to the back, and all our camera's were at the front of the pack."--Paul Sherwin

One guy standing at the line woulda worked, it didn't have to be a motorcycle camera shot.
I guess they don't learn from past goof up's too well.

I hope the edited coverage tonight has a shot they buy from ESPN or somebody.
:rolleyes:

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I thought it was funny how they thought that the guy who had a breakaway for about a lap at the end was Cancellara when it was his team mate, atleast they corrected themselves when there was a camera closeup.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Yeah, exactly. Maybe the Trek helicopter...

roadiegonebad said:
OLN didn't blow it. They get their camera feeds from French tv. Phil et al. are just sitting in a truck near the finish.
could get involved, and if necessary do a little gunship action if Lance got into trouble...well, that didn't happen. It's interesting how French TV camera priorities often focus on French riders even when some other action is occuring. Overall, though, I'm not going to complain. This coverage is so much better than some of the clueless network coverage that we've had to endure in the past.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can someone tell us what the deal is between Lance and the rider that broke away from the peloton. Phil kept saying that they don't like eachother but that he couldn't go into it because it was going to end up in italian court. Whats the deal there?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Dax said:
Can someone tell us what the deal is between Lance and the rider that broke away from the peloton. Phil kept saying that they don't like eachother but that he couldn't go into it because it was going to end up in italian court. Whats the deal there?
I'm curious about that too. It's Fillipe Simeoni. You'd think they could at least mention what the issue is about; like badmouthing, or making accusations about drug use, or cheating, etc. In yesterday's coverage, they hinted that it was Simeoni that would be taking Lance to court. It sounds like Simeoni doesn't have many friends in the peleton.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Phil and Paul don't air dirty laundry.

It just isn't their style. They really do try to show the best side of everything when they "call" an event. They have been around cycling for a very long time, Phil for 32 TDF's. If it is something that becomes an issue with the rules, something a referee decides, they will delve until they get an answer.
What is the sense of tarnishing an event? I've hard them say, about some circumstance between two riders, that "we'll never know," yet I am pretty sure they will get to teh bottom of it for themselves. Something that falls to far into the "unwritten rules" of protocol, rumor, or interpersonal stuff, they manage to lose in the excitement of the race, as they are very skilled. I imaginge they would consider it akin to "gossiping" and inelegant. I, personally, have no problem with that.
I'm afraid that our society is so accustomed to access to all kinds of information they feel that they have a right to it. And our society resents it deeply when an athlete, a "public person," draws a line around their "personal privacy" or areas of their professional experience which they consider sensiitive or privilaged. I have no problem with that, either.

·
Keep rollin'
193 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
I'm curious about that too. It's Fillipe Simeoni. You'd think they could at least mention what the issue is about; like badmouthing, or making accusations about drug use, or cheating, etc. In yesterday's coverage, they hinted that it was Simeoni that would be taking Lance to court. It sounds like Simeoni doesn't have many friends in the peleton.
Read this espn.com article, I think it explains enough.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=cycling&id=1844946

...iC...

·
We get titles?
938 Posts
here it is

Berkeley Mike said:
It just isn't their style. They really do try to show the best side of everything when they "call" an event. They have been around cycling for a very long time, Phil for 32 TDF's. If it is something that becomes an issue with the rules, something a referee decides, they will delve until they get an answer.
What is the sense of tarnishing an event? I've hard them say, about some circumstance between two riders, that "we'll never know," yet I am pretty sure they will get to teh bottom of it for themselves. Something that falls to far into the "unwritten rules" of protocol, rumor, or interpersonal stuff, they manage to lose in the excitement of the race, as they are very skilled. I imaginge they would consider it akin to "gossiping" and inelegant. I, personally, have no problem with that.
I'm afraid that our society is so accustomed to access to all kinds of information they feel that they have a right to it. And our society resents it deeply when an athlete, a "public person," draws a line around their "personal privacy" or areas of their professional experience which they consider sensiitive or privilaged. I have no problem with that, either.
Why be so cryptic?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/?id=results/stage18

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
TNC said:
could get involved, and if necessary do a little gunship action if Lance got into trouble...well, that didn't happen. It's interesting how French TV camera priorities often focus on French riders even when some other action is occuring. Overall, though, I'm not going to complain. This coverage is so much better than some of the clueless network coverage that we've had to endure in the past.
The "Trek" helicopter is still run by French TV.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,470 Posts
Dax said:
The Simeoni issue is the single biggest issue on the roadbikereview forum. Check it out there if you dare: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Here's the summary:

- pro cycling is deep into a drug controversy. Big-time riders and teams who have never tested positive are getting caught in the act and confessing to doping.

- a few riders are admitting to rampant drug use and providing details about drugs, techniques and doctors. Manzano and Simeoni are examples. Simeoni is calling out a Dr. Ferrari and giving details of his providing illegal drugs to cyclists.

- the pros don't like these 'whistleblowers' and are calling them liars who are ruining the sport. One of the vocal critics of Simeoni is Lance Armstrong.

- Simeoni says he's not a liar and filed suit against Lance Armstrong before the TDF.

- Lance has retailiated against Simeoni in the TDF.

francois

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
No!!! Not the Trek helicopter???

shiggy©®™ said:
The "Trek" helicopter is still run by French TV.
Tell me it ain't so! My dreams are shattered...is there nothing sacred? LOL! Thanks for the info. Those sneaky French got their fingers into everything. LOL! :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
thanks for the link to the roadie geek site. i find the whole situation pretty interesting, and i think it doesn't make lance look to good. didn't paul sherwen write a book about doping that made him really unpopular among racers when he retired. some english-speaking rider did. for whatever reason, those guys are really protective about their doping scandals.

mw

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.