Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be down in FL next week and typically try to ride Santos/Vortex when I'm down there a couple times a year. I've been thinking about trying the OMBA Epic this time around. I read a suggestion to start at Landbridge trail head putting you back near the car a little passed the halfway point. Seems like a good plan since the total distance will be a stretch compared to a normal outing for me.

My question is around time. In looking for hours of the trailhead I found something that said the trail opens at 8 a.m. Is that closely enforced? Given it's July, I was hoping to start pretty close to day break to avoid the heat of the day. Is parking at the trail head or being on the trail earlier than 8 going to be an issue?

·
Registered
976 Posts
'Not sure about the parking times @ Landbridge TH, but certainly you can get on the trail much sooner and the trail going west from there to Nayles, Ern n Burn are some of my fav. XC miles in FL.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,218 Posts
This time of the year I wouldn't want to be the first rider out and have to deal with the spiders. If you're riding on a weekday you might be the only one out there anyway so that won't matter, but on a weekend I'd deal with a little extra heat in the hopes of an early bird doing the web clearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spiders are no problem. :p

20ca02585b3983800d7d1d867d354285_large-620x399.jpg

Good suggestion, but it will probably be a week day and I'm often on spider web duty. Scared to ask how much worse it could be than NC, but doesn't matter anyway. It will be what it will be.

Thanks all for the information.

·
Jackalope Hunter
934 Posts
I don't know much about NC spiders, but Santos is filled with these guys:
goat-spider-silk-2.jpg

First thing in the morning there are sometimes hundreds of them, especially in the remote sections...

Your windshield may be appropriate lol

·
DILLIGAF
506 Posts
BTW, I have started at daylight and been on night rides from the Landbridge TH and have never seen the gate closed.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,218 Posts
Spiders are no problem. :p

View attachment 1002208

Good suggestion, but it will probably be a week day and I'm often on spider web duty. Scared to ask how much worse it could be than NC, but doesn't matter anyway. It will be what it will be.

Thanks all for the information.

Just imagine this, on your face. It happens. They don't have them like this in NC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm. Rethinking this whole thing. Maybe I'll wait until I'm back in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of the responses. I got started around 6:30 am on Wednesday morning. Not only were the gates at Landbridge not locked but the bathrooms were even open. I originally intended to head West first but somehow ended up eastbound.

The ride up to the Santos trailhead was nice if a bit mild. Refilled my water and headed back. I ran across a few spiderwebs but nothing intolerable and fortunately none of those big jokers on my face.

Nayls was the highlight of the trip I just wish the rain would have held off. About halfway through Nayls the sky opened up. It was nice to cool off and I was hardly any wetter than before but had to slow down a little as things got a slippery for a while. Ended up missing the turn to go back to Landbridge somehow and ended up riding a couple extra miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
Cool you took advantage and got to ride some Nayls.....I always say that it has become my fav FL XC loop. I traded states with you an hit up Kerr Scott trails this past weekend....so nice. I did Warrior Creek one morning, then again later in the day, but then torrential rain at mile 6 or 7, so that made for a very memorable ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts