Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Get a trainer to keep you in shape, or some studded tires. Other than that, you pretty much gotta suck it up and sacrifice the winters, unfortunately!

You could always travel somewhere too, but thats not always easy!

·
Registered
228 Posts
This winter has been terrible for riding. Here in Lincoln we had the 8th coldest December on record,and the 4th coldest January on record. Not only that but the snow that fell in early December has still not melted,and there's also a record for longest snowfall that has not completely melted. Whats worse is the snow plows plowing all of the excess snow on to the bike paths that I have to get off the bike and walk around. :madman:

I only have around 100 miles so far this year,and its really getting to me. Last night I went 11 miles but it was slow and I wiped out twice on some black-ice. In non slick conditions I'll ride down to 10F. but slick conditions,and nowhere to ride but sidewalks it really kills the buzzz.

In summary: This winter has sucked for riding!

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
This winter has been brutal here in Omaha. I'm hoping for a warm up soon because I can't wait to start riding again. I picked up another bike and I also want to try a few different setups on my Epic.

At least at the end of the month I might be hitting the trails in Vegas while on vacation. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
uh.....

I dont think there will be a warmup any time soon, unfortunately. I heard 5 more inches of snow possible for tomorrow!!!! Hope theyre wrong....its killing me too! Since I work out in Wahoo where there is a lot of gravel roads, Im planning on taking my ht to work so at least I can some miles in. Gravel is better than nothing I guess and it will get me in shape!

If you find the time to ride out in LV, which I doubt you will...there is too much other stuff to do, plus the trails are a ways out from the strip, if thats where youre staying?.....don't fall! It hurts a lot worse out there! :) If you do ride....****er!!! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
What ya know more snow! It's going to take until May for the trails to dry out if it keeps this up, well maybe not that long but sure is a lot of moisture and will take some time to dry. I'm only hoping we have a good spring and not rain every weekend, but well have to wait and see.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Damn....this is like a fricken ghost town in here!!!! If you can't ride you might as well talk about it...I guess!? Not in any real hurry to get my shoes off layaway at TBW though, I know that.... especially if theyre talking even more snow tomorrow!

·
Registered
115 Posts
huskerXCrider said:
Damn....this is like a frickin ghost town in here!!!! If you can't ride you might as well talk about it...I guess!? Not in any real hurry to get my shoes off layaway at TBW though, I know that.... especially if theyre talking even more snow tomorrow!
I was just thinking the same thing (ghost town not shoes) it must be getting pretty bad when we're all too depressed to even hit the mtbr boards. I just looked out the window this morning to some new snow...yah!!! :madman: :madmax:.

I went out yesterday morning with hopes to catch up with a small crew that has been riding mornings but it didn't happen. Oh well I go by myself all the time so no big deal, right? I got three miles into the ride and thought, "I'm too damn cold to take the boredom of bike paths." I turned around and went home :mad: . I can't think of the last time I bailed on a ride like that.

I'm going to KC next week so with any luck I'll get a little riding in down there. Maybe get boned up for the Bender!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi all,

I hope that you guys got out over the last few days and got some miles in. No dirt yet of course, but it was nice to pedal outside for a change. I hadn't been on my bike since November. Yes, I'm sore in all the appropriate places.

This week should melt all the rest of the snow. Rain has to be good for something?

The first organized event happen this weekend here in Lincoln.

Rob

·
Registered
165 Posts
buconine said:
yep, wnr is out there right now while i sit home sick. I imagine the tnr will be out there as well...
cool, thanks! Hope you feel better buco, I'll try an get out tomorrow night if I get out of work early enough. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rode Swanson tonight and was impressed by how good of shape the trail is in. other than a couple rutted out spots it was very good. Also was surprised at how dry the trail was not even tacky but more like mid-summer trail conitions. Prolly try Jewell tomorrow night but I'm so out of shape right now I might be biting off a bit much, but no pain no gain!

·
AKA Mr.Habanero
245 Posts
Speaking of cold and snow. Does anyone know if Mt Crescent will get into mountain bikes. To use their lifts and maybe have a "downhill" race in the near future. They really need too its a loss in profit I tell ya, plus I think it would be super fun.

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
I just got word that the Wabash Trace Nature trail is good to go and the Thu Night Taco Ride will be starting this week. I know it's not regular singletrack or anything, but it's a great fitness/fun social ride. Wish I wasn't working...hmm.... :D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.