Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy....theyre having a good old time over in the Tulsa-ok Area Riders thread!....getting tired of seeing that every time I scroll down the forum list with the hopes of seeing something regarding the Omaha region. I know there is a couple guys on here from the area.....anyone else???? Chime in!

Any thoughts, comments, new rides/ builds, trail info.,etc????

For me....'09 Motolite is on the way!!! Can't wait....Merry Christmas to me! :)

I can't help but think of the Christmas Story when the dad opens the leg lamp! Funny ****!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well I'm not quite Omaha - Lincoln, but I just built up my first 29er and I'm itchin to try her out at Platte. Time is the biggest problem for me but if I can make it work around family time I'm up for riding any time, any weather.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would love to join you tomorrow, but going to visit wifes family out of town....of course it has to be on the nicest day of the week and probably the last nice riding day for a while it looks like. Went out to Swanson today for a couple laps....trails were perfect, a few ruts here and there. Getting my new rig on Monday so I will be getting out whenever I can after that! What 29er you get?

Anyone in town here or even Lincoln post when you are heading out if youre looking for someone to ride with....Im always looking to get out, and the more the merrier! Never ridden Manawa for some reason so looking to get over there soon.

What do you all ride btw? Current hardtail is a Klein Attitude Comp and Titus Motolite is on the way! :) Klein is probably gonna get pretty dusty here soon Im guessing!

How is the riding out in Goth? I travel in Nebraska and Kansas for work so always good to know where things are and whats out there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
huskerXCrider said:
Would love to join you tomorrow, but going to visit wifes family out of town....of course it has to be on the nicest day of the week and probably the last nice riding day for a while it looks like. Went out to Swanson today for a couple laps....trails were perfect, a few ruts here and there. Getting my new rig on Monday so I will be getting out whenever I can after that! What 29er you get?

Anyone in town here or even Lincoln post when you are heading out if youre looking for someone to ride with....Im always looking to get out, and the more the merrier! Never ridden Manawa for some reason so looking to get over there soon.

What do you all ride btw? Current hardtail is a Klein Attitude Comp and Titus Motolite is on the way! :) Klein is probably gonna get pretty dusty here soon Im guessing!

How is the riding out in Goth? I travel in Nebraska and Kansas for work so always good to know where things are and whats out there.
Too bad - of course the weather won't be nice until after I'm done but I've got to get back for a family outing so my only option is butt-ass early. But, it will probably be better riding before it thaws anyway. This will be the maiden "real trail" voyage for the Orbea 29er I just built up last week so I'm looking forward to it. I'll give a shout out next time I plan on heading out...I too have never hit Manawa and would like to see that trail as well. Hope the Titus treats you well.

Later

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, very nice! Those are pretty bad ass looking. First 29er? Hear alot of good things about them....friend that has one says he'll never go back! Not sure if I would want to try one though, since I just bought another 26er....would hate to be disappointed in my new purchase! Let me know what you think. btw....there was a Lanza for sale on CL down in Lincoln just recently. Not sure how popular or how many of them there are around here but now there is a t least two! :) Is there a dealer in the area?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know its last minute and no one is on here (forgot to post earlier) but gonna get out to Tranquility tomorrow morning....will be there at 9 in maroon Chevy truck if anyone wants to get out before the front hits!

Howd the ride go biker?.......It was a great day out today!

·
Registered
115 Posts
huskerXCrider said:
I know its last minute and no one is on here (forgot to post earlier) but gonna get out to Tranquility tomorrow morning....will be there at 9 in maroon Chevy truck if anyone wants to get out before the front hits!

Howd the ride go biker?.......It was a great day out today!
Trails were perfect...me not so much. Gorgeous morning, I was worried the trails might be a little greasy but they weren't at all. I'm planning on doing a full write-up (mostly having to do with my thoughts on the new bike), I'll post a link here when I get that done.

Good luck tomorrow, I'd love to join you but the other half would have my hide if tired to pull two days in a row.:nono: :incazzato:

Just out of curiosity - I passed a guy riding out of the trails (horse side) just as I was getting in there. He must of been moonlight riding because I started about 10-15 min after usable sunlight and he didn't have any lights (that I remember seeing). Just wondering if that was anyone here.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, it was nice yesterday....wish I couldve gotten out! Didn't end up going this morning. I think the front moved in a little sooner than forecasted...its pretty windy and cold so I decided against it. Probably wouldn't have been much fun. I need to get some more/better cold weather gear thats for sure! That guy mustve known the trails pretty well if he was riding before the sun was up....pretty risky out there without lights!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Saturday?

Anyone up for riding on Saturday? Looks like a high of 30 so as long as it doesnt get much higher than that should be okay. Or Friday....high of 34 I think is what I saw. Morning might be okay? No where in particular....maybe Platte or Manawa...two ends of the spectrum there! Manawa is good winter riding I hear, as Ive never been there and might be a good place to take the new rig out for the first time?

Merry Christmas!

edit....nevermind on Friday....I think the high jumped up to 45 so itll be a little sloppy im sure. Saturday still looks good, though!

·
Registered
115 Posts
huskerXCrider said:
Anyone up for riding on Saturday? Looks like a high of 30 so as long as it doesnt get much higher than that should be okay. Or Friday....high of 34 I think is what I saw. Morning might be okay? No where in particular....maybe Platte or Manawa...two ends of the spectrum there! Manawa is good winter riding I hear, as Ive never been there and might be a good place to take the new rig out for the first time?

Merry Christmas!

edit....nevermind on Friday....I think the high jumped up to 45 so itll be a little sloppy im sure. Saturday still looks good, though!
I would love to but I'm out of town till Sunday.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still plan on going in the morning.....hope it won't be a mess tomorrow, only supposed to get up to 30 but not sure when its supposed to get below freezing tonight or in the am....its still pretty damn warm out right now! Might have to wait til a little later in the day. Not sure where yet...if anyone is interested let me know tonight or early a.m. what works.

Biker....I was in Cycleworks the other day and saw they deal Orbea. They are pretty in person....and expensive! The one I looked at anyways. It was a hardtail but dont remember what it was. Assuming you went through them, or no? Nice guys there....I always like stopping in there when in the area!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey Husker,
Hope the ride works out for you today. Hopefully, one of these times our schedules will mesh because I'd love to be riding right now. I've been in St. Louis for the holidays. It's been anywhere from 40 to 60+ degrees the entire time I've been here but I am without bikes so it's really put a damper on my vacation. Lesson learned: even if the weather is predicted to be crap and your wife it moaning about getting on the road - load some bikes anyway or you'll be sorry.

I saw that Orbea in cycleworks. I don't remember the model name but it's their carbon fiber version so mine isn't near as expensive as that one, but I like it none the less. I bought my frame on ebay and most of the parts I had laying around so I did not go through cycleworks. I really like a lot of the guys that work there but I've never been impressed by their prices. Acutally, I'm impressed by their prices but not in a way that makes me want to buy anything from them :eekster: . It's too bad because my house is a five minute ride from their store. Anyway hope your ride goes well and I'll look for ya next time around.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Biker, yeah actually did get out for a little bit today to Tranquility up here but it didnt really satisfy my urges....wasnt any fun actually other than getting out on the rig for the first time. It was really icy and not safe, but still glad I went! Thought the warm weather yesterday might melt things a lot better than it did, but of course the only place there was ice was on the trails. Once everything melts Im out the door for sure! Im sure we can coordinate the schedules sooner or later...Platte would probably be the best place, but open to wherever. How is Wilderness Park? Heard mixed reviews...worth checking out? Going down to Cycle Works probably this week to pick up a Camelbak....if its still there. Having a good sale on accessories down there!

·
Registered
76 Posts
rfxc said:
yep, I'm in Omaha, ride swanson, tranquility, L&C, manawa, platte, gravel, road, pretty good options for a town this size....
I live in Des Moines, but am in Omaha quite often for work and would like to bring my bike along sometimes. Is there a web site that shows where all these trails are? If directions to the trailhead were given, that would be a big plus.

thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
huskerXCrider said:
How is Wilderness Park? Heard mixed reviews...worth checking out? Going down to Cycle Works probably this week to pick up a Camelbak....if its still there. Having a good sale on accessories down there!
Went out to Wilderness last night. I think my experience was pretty comparable to your @ Tranquility - trails were icy, but I think I'd prefer that to mud. In general Wilderness is a nice park to have in town but it's no epic trail or anything. Pretty much completely flat, very turny, slightly rooty (in spots). The nice thing about wilderness is you can make it as technical as you want to simply by how much speed you carry through it. Especially nice to dial in new rides and work on turning techniques but you're not going to gain any downhill or climbing experience. Let me know when you want to check it out and I'll take you through it (right now I'm pretty much confined to night riding so bring a light).

As far as Platte on Saturday - that sounds great to me. I'll have to run it by the lady but it should be doable. My only worry is, right now looks like there's a chance for snow on Saturday. What are your options timewise? If there's a front coming through maybe we can get in front of it - but of course we can worry about that when we get a little closer to Saturday.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats pretty much what ive heard about Wilderness. I work up in Wahoo so I can probably shoot down after work sometime...gotta see if my crappy light still works, though!

Id be looking more in the morning at Platte....gotta pick up the wife in Crete so its on the way. My forecast shows it pretty nice the rest of the week, but you know how that goes! We'll keep an eye on the weather and touch base Friday or so. Hope it works out....dying to get this thing out on some good trails! Might try to get out tomorrow for a little while up in Omaha so we'll see.

·
Freelance Whatever
211 Posts
Orbeas and all

Hey guys, XCrider, that was my Lanza for sale in the CL the other day. They're really nice, and QUICK! Unfortunately, I also got mine on the fleebay and the sizing is a little small for me. Was trying to sell it so that I could upgrade (maybe to carbon??) but I think I"ll just try to set the frame free and swap over parts, since most are pretty good. Have you been out to Wilderness lately? I wonder if the temps have made it into a thick mud shake....I know the Jamaica limestone was a little gushy...Maybe I'll see you out there?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.