Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Riddler
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stans rims/schwalbe skinny jimmy's aren't really holding air after my race on sunday. I lost a bit of air during the race going over a couple roots hard, but nothing serious. Since, however, they haven't been holding air well. Has anyone had this experience? I'm going to try and inflate them big time, then let em sit and see what happens, but i was wondering if anyone had any input. Great wheels by the way....i hope.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have skinny jimmys on my olympics too. At first I had the exact same problem as you with the slow leaks, by morning it would be flat. I fixed it by taking my air compressor, and inflating the tire slightly more that I normally would. I actually hear a loud "POP", which was a small area of bead not locked in correctly. And that was my problem. Im guessing you dont have your tires on completely (very close though to be holding some air). That was a month ago for me, and I still havnt had to inflate again.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
It takes a few days for them to "cure". If they are new tires(never had Stans in them), I'll tend to add a 1/2 cup of sealant after the 1st race,as the 1st cup will be 2/3s gone(the tire absorbs some of it, it seems) after 2-3 weeks afterward. Then be sure to do the 'shaking' drill again to distribute the sealant again. After that, I bet they stay up for a couple months at least.

Also check the valve seal. I noticed both ends leaked around the valve seal at first...at least until the above drill was performed.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Kaparzo said:
My stans rims/schwalbe skinny jimmy's aren't really holding air after my race on sunday. I lost a bit of air during the race going over a couple roots hard, but nothing serious. Since, however, they haven't been holding air well. Has anyone had this experience? I'm going to try and inflate them big time, then let em sit and see what happens, but i was wondering if anyone had any input. Great wheels by the way....i hope.
Angry Dad has good suggestions.

I suggest that you do what AD said. If you still have issues...just put the tire under water and look for bubbles. I was able to find a leak that was so slow, that it took a week for the tire to go almost flat.

Now, when I mount a UST tire...I immediately check it that way so I won't have to wait and see if it goes flat over time. Fill the tire to it's max rated pressure before you check for leaking air.

·
Registered
260 Posts
We need a little more info.... are you using the 38g rim strip or the 5g stem with yellow tape?? Assuming you are not using the rim strip, the yellow rim tape must be pulled as tight as possible and making 2 complete loops is best. Then use a scribe to poke a starter hole for the stem to push through allowing a tighter seal around it. Make sure you tighten it down as much as possible. The rubber seal is very small and I had to use pliers on mine in order to keep them from leaking. Lastly, I used new Racing Ralphs on mine and it took a good amount of Stan's sealant before they completely sealed. As mentioned above, if your skinny's are new it will take a little while for them to seal and you need to make sure you hear a good "POP" to let you know the tire seated against the rim good.

·
The Riddler
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm, it seems to be a combo of needing more sealant and maybe more inflation, though i did get that pop. im using the yellow tape. ill let you know how it goes. thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Kaparzo said:
hmm, it seems to be a combo of needing more sealant and maybe more inflation, though i did get that pop. im using the yellow tape. ill let you know how it goes. thanks for the advice.
Just thought of something else, what tire pressure were you running? I've noticed my wheelset doesnt like being under 30lbs.

·
Lazy People Suck
776 Posts
redrock_z71 said:
Just thought of something else, what tire pressure were you running? I've noticed my wheelset doesnt like being under 30lbs.
If you are running standard tires tubeless, I would not run the pressure at less than the manufacturers recommended minimum pressure on the side of the tire. The thinner sidewalls of the standard tires vs UST do not allow as low an air pressure to be run, although I think with the thinner sidewalls, you will get the same compliance and grip as a UST at a little higher pressure.

I think a little higher pressure is the price we have to pay if we want to safely run the lighter standard tire tubeless. I think that if you want to run pressures in the 20s, you probably ought to switch to UST.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.