Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
cdouble
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this isn't rehashing, but has anyone seen the Olympic mountain biking course? Check out this video ride-thru...

Seriously, it seems more like a croquet course than a MOUNTAIN course. Maybe developed by roadies, or even worse by TV executives looking for 5 easy camera angles with which to "dumb down" the event for the masses.

I ride easier stuff on my Friday Happy Hour Ride AFTER I've had a couple IPAs. What am I missing here?

cdouble
http://mo7s.blogspot.com

·
Registered
36 Posts
Imagine my surprise after having called myself a MTBR since 1999 to find out just now that there is an Olympic MTB course. Ummmm.. again I say.. "Seriously?"..
Yeah, I thought they dropped mtb years ago. I remember it from 1996, which I think was its first year. Then, I don't think they ever showed it on television again (or maybe it's just on smack in the middle of the day when no one watches).

·
Suckin wind like a boss
1,588 Posts
you know, as lame (and rehashed) as it is, i still wanted to watch it... but ill definitely be missing the mens race because i am a marshal at a local race on sunday. oh well, ill probably enjoy the race im at more than the one on tv.

·
Content from my avatar
4,403 Posts
I think the course looks pretty tame from a technical side. However, that just means that it'll be a much faster race. I have no problems with that, even if it could (IMO) use a few more technical bits.

I was thinking of watching it, and planning to, at one point. However, after seeing NBC's "coverage" of anything non-swimming, I've given up on watching Olympic cycling.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
arm chaired athletes

How many people that post here, are in the Olympics?

How many that visit this site. Are able to beat an Olympic racer in the respected event?

How many people are in as good a shape as the Olypians participating in the XC race?

How many people can sit on thier @ss in the AC. Drink beer and ***** about the XC course with the use of a keyboard.......

·
Registered
589 Posts
How many people that post here, are in the Olympics?

How many that visit this site. Are able to beat an Olympic racer in the respected event?

How many people are in as good a shape as the Olypians participating in the XC race?

How many people can sit on thier @ss in the AC. Drink beer and ***** about the XC course with the use of a keyboard.......
I'm certainly not complaining, and given the chance I'll watch it. I just expected something a little more demanding/technical. I wanna see the athletes ride a course that I couldn't. There's no way I would get the times they do, but I didn't see anything in that course that would make me want to get off and walk my bike either.
Yes, I know it's the same as any other sport in the Olympics...I can run on a track, I can play b-ball, and v-ball. I just think that if they want to do MTB the course should be a little tougher opponent.

Just my .02

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm I wanna see the athletes ride a course that I couldn't. There's no way I would get the times they do, but I didn't see anything in that course that would make me want to get off and walk my bike either.
Then watch downhill. This is XC. I think it'd be awesome if DH, 4X, and Enduro were eventually added to the Olympic roster, but for now, it's only XC, and that trail looks to be a very good spectator friendly Olympic XC course. It's very obviously man made, but it will make for a great race and I don't doubt there will be a few spills on some of those rocky sections.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
For those that can't catch it on TV.
After the 2008 Olympic MTB race, they posted video of the race online. I don't recall if it was the entire race, but there was quite a bit of video. Hopefully they will do the same this time.

The course isn't all that exciting, but some of the racers aren't particularly good technical mountain bikers, so you will almost certainly see some crashes. That should at least make it seem more like real mountain biking.

·
Good, green, Oregon.
791 Posts
NBColympics.com will be streaming it live and the the replay will be available just like it is for all the other sports.
I think to view it live and streaming via NBC, you have to have a cable/satellite subscription to watch it though. Kind of dumb if you ask me. I mean, if I had cable/satellite, I would be watching on my TV. I guess if I am mobile or away from home, it would be ok. But for me, we dropped DirecTV a while back, and I was hoping I could watch some of the Olympics online live, but no such luck. Unless, you know of another option?

·
since 4/10/2009
37,097 Posts
Chachi, there are other options. Look up how to get the BBC feed through a proxy server or other service in the states. The options are out there if you look.

And also, not everything is on TV, but everything is online. I have watched a number of event feeds with absolutely no commentating because there was only a camera crew present. Preferable to lame commentators, but Andrés Cantor is always a treat to hear announcing a soccer match (he is on Telemundo broadcasts, can't wait to hear him doing the gold medal men's match)

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.