Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
201 - 220 of 440 Posts

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Pidcock bailed from the XCO.
Shoulder was too painful to continue. I doubt he will be a major factor over the whole xco race in Tokyo. Three more weeks before he lines up in Tokyo.....he's cutting it fine
He was also no where near the pace on the climbs. Guys were coming around him.

Reactions: Brad

·
No. Just No.
5,322 Posts
He was also no where near the pace on the climbs. Guys were coming around him.
Don't you think this is one and the same thing? When experiencing major discomfort from an upper-body injury, the ability to put down power on climbs is typically compromised.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Don't you think this is one and the same thing? When experiencing major discomfort from an upper-body injury, the ability to put down power on climbs is typically compromised.
especially in the muddy conditions today. The rider needs to hold onto the bar a little tighter to keep moving their eight around to maintain traction. My first race after my clavicle repair was a 200km road race. I could feel that plate after a couple of hours. The vibration and weight on the shoulder took its toll and this is after about a month of physio.
PS: I am twice Tom's age though :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Everyone is talking about pidcock, but what about Neff. Its been only 3 weeks since she broke her hand and she rode the entire weekend with good results. Did she had surgery or how is she riding at that level so soon?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Everyone is talking about pidcock, but what about Neff. Its been only 3 weeks since she broke her hand and she rode the entire weekend with good results. Did she had surgery or how is she riding at that level so soon?
Huh???:confused:
Jolanda may have been watching from the sidelines because she certainly did not race

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well...I think in dry conditions, Ondrej would be the man to beat today.
Nobody placed him winning gold in Tokyo. Let me put some money there.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
The Tour De France is just a bicycle race, the Olympic has ideals that are higher than sport, has impacted world events and is ancient.

Perhaps the IOC is a little self-important and there certainly has been cheating, but these things get outed eventually. The UCI practically ran a cover organization during the worst of the EPO era in order to keep the money train rolling.

Hold on a second. You are saying the TdF should be afforded less importance because of the scandals related to it, but the Olympics deserves respect? Good one! I respect the dedication and abilities of the athletes who train for and compete at the Olympics, but I have little to no respect for the IOC and the so-called Olympic movement. This official description says it all:

"The Olympic Movement is the concerted, organised, universal and permanent action, carried out under the supreme authority of the IOC, of all individuals and entities who are inspired by the values of Olympism."

·
No. Just No.
5,322 Posts
The Tour De France is just a bicycle race, the Olympic has ideals that are higher than sport, has impacted world events and is ancient.

Perhaps the IOC is a little self-important and there certainly has been cheating, but these things get outed eventually. The UCI practically ran a cover organization during the worst of the EPO era in order to keep the money train rolling.
Seriously? The UCI is amateur night compared to the corruption both within and spawned by the IOC. Not even in the same league.

·
Always pushing harder!!!
1,226 Posts
Now that we've seen the last big races before Tokyo, how are your medal predictions? Anyone reconsidering their picks?

·
Registered
63 Posts
In a one off race, especially the Olympics, anything can happen. Going purely on form, Lecomte is odds on to win. Winning races by approx a minute isn't even close; she climbs better than the others, is technically excellent, and descending is no worry to her.
However, that doesn't mean she will win....there's always the chance of stage fright, a freak mechanical, having a rare off day. Pauline hasn't won all the championships without knowing what she's doing, so I wouldn't discount her. And you can name another 4-5-6 riders who could medal.

As for the men, Matthias is the obvious favourite, has won 2 of the 4 World Cups (and if not for a mechanical could have won Albstadt); he's an excellent climber, good technically - he ticks all the boxes. Cink has also been pretty consistent, is a good climber, but descents can let him down. I'm loathe to write N1no off, he's another who's won so much, he knows how to prepare for the big occasion.
Who knows about Pidcock, we know he's alive, but Les Gets didn't really tell us much regards form. And then we have MvdP - if he's in anywhere near top form he could win it with one blistering attack.

·
No. Just No.
5,322 Posts
Now that we've seen the last big races before Tokyo, how are your medal predictions? Anyone reconsidering their picks?
Here were my original picks at the start of this thread:

1. Terpstra
2. Neff
3. Courtney

1. Flückiger (M not L ;))
2. Schurter
3. Van der Poel

Obviously, I'm way out on the women's side. Not saying that a couple of those picks won't contend for medals, but I completely missed the Lecomte thing, and Terpstra who had looked so consistent (and getting stronger) in the previous couple of world cup seasons is nowhere now. Rissveds building nicely. I didn't have PFP originally but she has a proven history of hitting form on the most important days.

On the men's side, I hit the jackpot with Flückiger as my original pick for the win. If Tokyo was tomorrow I'd keep him as my #1, but can he hold his form a little longer? My Schurter pick is looking weak at this time. We all knew he was on the decline, but I didn't expect it to be this drastic this quickly. (did anyone?) On the other hand, I'm missing Pidcock but who knows where he's going to be by the event date with his should currently remaining a limiting factor? Sarrou has been looking pretty good too. How will Avancini's program of all training no racing work out? Cink has been looking spectacular recently, but for some unexplained reason I'm just not envisioning him on the podium.

If I had to give it another go now, my picks are:

1. Lecomte
2. Rissveds
3. PFP

2. Van der Poel
3. Sarrou

·
Always pushing harder!!!
1,226 Posts
Men: I can be terribly wrong, but from pictures and videos of the test event looks like there are no long climbs nor long descents in Tokyo. Pretty much a pure power course...a la NVNM or Lenzerhide. Short punchy climbs and technical features will make for very interesting racing. I can also be more wrong and say MvDP was not in top shape at NVNM coming from a Classics Season with no XC racing and Pidcock was in better form having just finished his Classics season and one more XCO race in the bag. Mat Fluck has the from and technical skills to kill almost everybody. Cink is right there. Nino, Sarrou and a few others will be there also. I don't see anybody else fighting for a medal. And since I've always liked MvDP, even since he placed second behind Nino in only his second XCO race ever, in Albstadt nonetheless, I'm rooting for him. Oh, his first race ever was a blueprint for what Pidcock did this year...started 90, placed 8th...

Women: There's no debating here...LL, PFP and Rissveds...that's it...no one else.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Glad to see Nino make the cut in the last World Cup race. On the other hand, looking at the exuberance that Fluekiger gets from winning in the last couple years of his prime make me remember that like Michael Jordan, Schurter kept a lot of other dogs from eating, for a long time.

Going to have to re-pick the women, but I'll stay with my 1,2,3 of MVDP, Pidcock, and Fluekiger. Can't judge Pidcock by only his last race. I believe his compact size will help on the tight quarters of the course and frequent ins and outs, although there are no extended climbs.

Women revised picks:
1. Lecomte
2. Neff
3. Batten

·
No. Just No.
5,322 Posts
Going to have to re-pick the women, but I'll stay with my 1,2,3 of MVDP, Pidcock, and Fluekiger. Can't judge Pidcock by only his last race. I believe his compact size will help on the tight quarters of the course and frequent ins and outs, although there are no extended climbs.
Your original list for the men is pretty solid. Even with the do-over I didn't put Pidcock on the podium, but he's only likely to get better from here and I won't be surprised whatsoever if he takes a medal of any colour.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Short punchy climbs!
Women - 1Rissveds, 2Lecomte, 3PFP (if longer climbs Rissveds would be moved to 3rd)
Men - 1MvdP, 2Fluckiger, 3Pidcock (the only reason I placed Fluckiger 2nd is because of Pidcock's broken collarbone)

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Here were my original picks at the start of this thread:

1. Terpstra
2. Neff
3. Courtney

2. Schurter
3. Van der Poel

Updated:

1. Lecomte
2. Rissveds
3. PFP

2. Van der Poel
3. Sarrou
My original picks were:

Men
1. Milan Vader
2. Simon Andreassen
3. Henrique Avancini

At the Les Gets World Cup round Milan Vader was 11th, Simon Andreassen was 7th, Henrique Avancini DNS

Women
1. Pauline Ferrand Prevot
2. Anne Terpstra
3. Isla Short

At the Les Get World Cup round Pauline Ferrand Prevot was 4th, Anne Terpstra DNF, Isla Short was 11th

My updated picks are:

Men
1. Mathieu Van Der Poel
2. Mathias Fluckiger
3. Henrique Avancini

Mathieu Van Der Poel pulled out of the Tour de France after just 8 stages. I'd initially thought he was going to try and do the full three weeks so would be too tired but as it is he should be fresh and ready to go. That stint at the Tour de France will have been a really good training block so he'll be flying.

Mathias Fluckiger is going really well and has been winning both the short track and XCO World Cup races so is very likely to be on the podium

Henrique Avancini didn't travel to Europe so the uninterrupted training time he's had without all the international travel could serve him well.

Women
1. Jenny Rissveds
2. Pauline Ferrand Prevot
3. Loana Lecomte

Jenny Rissveds has been getting stronger over the season and at the Les Gets round was faster than Loana Lecomte up the climbs towards the end of the race. She looks to be building to peak form.

Pauline Ferrand Prevot is going to be aiming for peak form too. She is going to really want to finish ahead of Loana Lecomte so will be extra motivated.

Loana Lecomte was super strong winning all the World Cups so far this year but she looks to have had her top form earlier to be able to win those races by such big margins and wasn't as far ahead at the Les Gets round. The big question is whether she can hold the form until the Olympics. If she can then she'll win easily but there's some doubt there for me. :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Tokyo track is really a gift for Fluckiger, as someone else said above this pretty much the track where Fluckiger would have an advatange over the other ones. I wouldn't discount Nino though, he is also one capable of riding it without unforgiving mistakes. MVdP and Pidcock might be strong, but I think they will struggle on that nasty track.

On the women side, I think Pauline is the favorite, she is the most experienced and I think experience will play a big time in the race. However, Lecomte does really look dominant so its hers to lose.

·
No. Just No.
5,322 Posts
Now that we've all had the same benefit of getting results from the world cups, the updated choices are converging into a much tighter grouping of medal candidates.

201 - 220 of 440 Posts