Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, it is a long ways away but who is your call.

I am going with
Women:
Gold: Sina Frei
Silver: Jolanda Neff
Bronze: Haley Batten

Men:
Gold: Nino
Silver: Avencini
Bronze: Vlad Dascalu

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW, no VanDerPoel?
I hope you are correct.
The guy is far and away the best cyclist in the world but I think the demands of his classic campaign combined with his cross campaign is going to leave him off form at the olympics. And he has said mountain biking is the hardest for him to get ready for.

Reactions: moab63

·
No. Just No.
5,314 Posts
The guy is far and away the best cyclist in the world but I think the demands of his classic campaign combined with his cross campaign is going to leave him off form at the olympics. And he has said mountain biking is the hardest for him to get ready for.
He seemed like he had a focused plan to be dialled in for the Olympics for last year, but perhaps when considering the uncertainties surrounding the Olympics for a second consecutive year he (and his team) decided to put more eggs in the other baskets this time around? The guy has a lot of baskets. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
VanDerPoel will identify as a woman and lap the field two times for the win!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not sure about how Nino will be as I have not see his results this year. He was on top for so long, and last year albeit a short one, showed he wasn’t able to maintain top form.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Most likely outcome: Olympics will be cancelled. If not cancelled, then I would still go with MVDP for the men's. For the women, hard to imagine PFP and Jolanda won't be up there. Evie Richards as a dark horse.

·
Registered
53 Posts
He seemed like he had a focused plan to be dialled in for the Olympics for last year, but perhaps when considering the uncertainties surrounding the Olympics for a second consecutive year he (and his team) decided to put more eggs in the other baskets this time around? The guy has a lot of baskets. :)
I think I read he'd prefer to miss the Tour, but realises the exposure it gives to his team/sponsors - and they want him there. He said he'll prepare for the Tour on his MTB......However, he risks leaving a medal on the roads of France.
Will be interesting to see how he goes in the early World Cups - he hasn't ridden any since Lenzerheide 2019.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't think he'll get much mtb time during the TDF to prep.
I feel like I read somewhere that Fenix Alpecin is focusing on results in the first week of the Tour. To me, that sounds like he’ll be pulling out after the first week.

Could be just the “training camp” he needs! Or he’s burnt out before he even gets there... Either way, it’ll be exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
I feel like I read somewhere that Fenix Alpecin is focusing on results in the first week of the Tour. To me, that sounds like he’ll be pulling out after the first week.

Could be just the “training camp” he needs! Or he’s burnt out before he even gets there... Either way, it’ll be exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He'll certainly add excitement. I know he specifically addressed that the plan wasn't to "abandon" the TDF before the finish, but then I wouldn't expect he would say that anyways.

I do wonder why he wouldn't be contesting the road race at the Olympics? Maybe because there are more riders to beat on the road? Or he'd run the risk of not getting a spot to race it?

It would certainly add to the spectacle to have an on-form MVDP arrive for the race (if it happens).

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Common, guys take a risk make some predictions. Just remember your credibility as a human being entirely depends if you are right or wrong. No pressure or anything.

·
No. Just No.
5,314 Posts
Common, guys take a risk make some predictions. Just remember your credibility as a human being entirely depends if you are right or wrong. No pressure or anything.
Challenge accepted. It's just no fun going with the favourites for the top step, so...

1. Terpstra
2. Neff
3. Courtney

1. Flueckiger (M not L ;))
2. Schurter
3. Van der Poel

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Me for the Gold!!

That's how much of a chance I give Olympics going ahead...

Taking bets

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
All right, it is a long ways away but who is your call.

I am going with
Women:
Gold: Sina Frei
Bronze: Haley Batten

Men:
Gold: Nino
Silver: Avencini
Bronze: Vlad Dascalu
Great selection and I would agree with you, but my only thing is can Nino win it and odds alone say he won't! Not saying he can't beat the odds but the odds get more and more stacked against him as he wins, plus he's now 38 years old which is on the far side of still being able to perform at the level of other 20 something-year-old guys, even though experience does count for something it's going to be whether or not he still has the stamina to keep up the high pressure of racing against younger guys. Anyway, we're all just guessing! So with that in mine here are my choices.

Gold goes to Jordan Sarrou.
Silver to Nino Schurter
Bronze to Mathieu van der Poel...but he could win the gold too.

Women the gold goes to Jolanda Neff...or maybe silver.
Silver to Kate Courtney...or maybe the gold.
Bronze to Pauline Ferrand-Prevot

Those are my guesses.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Again, I don't think the 2021 Olympics will actually happen, but wouldn't it be interesting if Jenny Risveds won again? Another dark horse--Loana Lecomte.

The conditions are likely to be very hot and humid. How will that affect the results?

·
Registered
83 Posts
If Olympics happen:
Guys
1)Avancini
2)Vader
3)Andreassen

Gals
1)Terpsta
2)Courtney
3)Lecomte

Is another run at the Olympics not in the cards for Catharine at this point?

·
Registered
104 Posts
My guess:

Women:
Gold: Pauline Ferrand Prevot
Bronze: Jenny Rissveds

Men:
Gold: Mvdp
Silver: Nino Schurter
Bronze: Victor Koretzky

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is another run at the Olympics not in the cards for Catharine at this point?
She is back training full gas again and is way ahead of our best forecast. Her plan is if she is selected and is racing well enough to go she will go. But the Olympics is 6 months postpartum, even I will call her an outsider for a medal at that point.

1 - 20 of 257 Posts