Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tracking up the place
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting a link that will take you to an on-line petition that is seeking to get OLN-TV to rethink their removal of the Vuelta de Espana from their viewing schedule in September.

Originally they had scheduled live daily coverage with Phil Ligget, Paul Sherwin and Bob Roll doing the commentary. Now they have reduced the three weeks to one hour one time and you know how good that will work out.

Anyway, I am asking that you go to http://www.petitiononline.com/vuelta3/
and sign up.

IT'S FREE and it will help out.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you. I returning my cable box this weekend. Kill Your Television (or at least limit what you watch to ER, Sesame Street, and Jerry Springer)!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well, I did it, but I don't have much hope. I was #1198. That's not a lot. I sent an email to my friends who ride, because most don't frequent this site.

I know that these sort of events are expensive for OLN. Their coverage of World Cup skiing went downhill (ok, pun intended) about 2 years ago, because it cost them a fortune to buy the rights to it, and they have very few sponsors (notice the lack of variety of commercials). I don't think they get very good ratings.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The TdF Broke their Wallets...

The new chief at OLN seems more an opportunist than cycling fan. Did his best to cash in on the Cyclysm....eeerrrr....Tour. The past couple years they showed all the classics, and the 3 Grand Tours. Awesome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where Were You During The CYCLEGASM??

Psshaw. Who wants to watch bike races? I'd much rather see some hicks settin in a boat trying to catch dang ol catfish, or rompin through bushes in their orange vests huntin whitetailed pigeons. And please, MORE infomercials for portable toilets.

Maybe if Armstrong was racing the Vuelta, and they could say CYCLEGASM a few thousand more times, they'd air it.

·
Future Rainbow Jersey
449 Posts
Just signed it

Outside of cycling, that channel is all hunting and fishing. If they stop covering all of the major cycling events, the channel would be a complete waste. It's the Outdoor Life Network, not the NRA action sports network.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Well I signed it but I doubt it will make any difference. I think the odds of success would be more likely and the petition just as useless if they change it to ask Lance to ride the Vuelta. Then they'd cover it for sure. The only reason they really air the Tour is because of Lance. I remember the years before OLN covered the vuelta it would be covered completely by a Spanish news channel that we get locally. I've got to check if they will this year. If thats the case, screw OLN.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I don't get OLN on my satelite system but signed anyway.

Screw OLN and watch another channel like Speed or Discovery.

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
/done (what's with the "message must be more than 5 characters"?)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, as Miranda as said, TVE would be a good option. I am also spanish, but living in Pennsylvania. You only need a satellite plate oriented to HISPASAT. Or look for a satellite/cable provider that offers RTVE International. The coverage, for what I know, is the same as our sports channel, with commentaries from former Tour of France winner, Pedro Delgado, and many other famous ciclists - by far, much better than what I have watched in OLN.

The last years "La Vuelta a España" has been pretty interesting, with many candidates for the final win, close gaps between riders, climbers/timetrialers, new stages (Anglirú, http://www.altimetrias.com/aspbk/verPuerto.asp?id=257 , 10 miles at 8%, including one mile at 17% and many ramps with more than 20%, Xorret de Cati, Alto de Aitana, Sierra Nevada...) and shorter stages to increase attacks and exhibitions by other young riders.

definitely, a "must see" if you really like cycling and want to learn/watch something else than the boring-USA-oriented-manipulated TdF by OLN. Also, taking into account the crazyness of Italy with drug inspections, the Giro interest has gone down, increasing the number of riders that focus their year on the Vuelta, or include it as a final option if the TdF wasn´t good for them.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
MNMN said:
I am also spanish, but living in Pennsylvania.

definitely, a "must see" if you really like cycling and want to learn/watch something else than the boring-USA-oriented-manipulated TdF by OLN.
hum...very interesting. I've also heard a lot about Italians complaining and whining most loudly about the tour. USA manipulated TdF by OLN.

·
Registered
227 Posts
OLN is lame

OLN can be so much better than it is. It's kind of a bummer. How long before it starts airing "the amazing race" reruns? It should be a venue for all types of sport and adventure shows, yet it falls flat way too often. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
MIRANDA said:
hello, i?m from spain, and i think that you can watch vuelta in TVE INTERNATIONAL.
TVE= spanish television
but you need to learn a little spanish
look at that ;)
http://www.rtve.es/canales/tveinter/telstar04.htm
Yeah TVE thats the channel I was refering to. I get it in my basic cable programing. I don't remember if they covered it last year though. For some reason I remember watching it on OLN because TVE wasn't playing it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts