Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 17" Diamondback WCF from roughly 1996 or so. It has an old q21 fork now, and I want to upgrade it. I recently saw something here that suggested that it was a 71.5 deg. head angle originally, so I'm considering moving it up to an 80mm fork, but I'm concerned that it might throw the geometry off too much.

Any riders out there using an 80mm fork on a WCF frame? If so, how does it ride / handle?

Thanks much.

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WCF for XC

I plan on building it up for a friend to use in his first XC race. I don't think it'll slack it out that much either, but I don't want him having to compensate for a lot of front wheel washout. Also don't want to spend much money putting together a sloppy riding bike.

Anyone tried this combo yet?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
105millimetersofpleasure said:
I plan on building it up for a friend to use in his first XC race. I don't think it'll slack it out that much either, but I don't want him having to compensate for a lot of front wheel washout. Also don't want to spend much money putting together a sloppy riding bike.

Anyone tried this combo yet?
Here you go:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2442285#poststop

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link

Searching "WCF" doesn't yield anything, but I'm probably short on information about why certain searches work & others do not.

Thanks again.

·
The Dog.
959 Posts
Go for it!

I'm glad to hear that someone else will soon discover the magic of the WCF frames. I'm the owner of the bike that is in the other linked thread. You'll be more than fine with an 80mm fork. In fact, I dare say you'll be perfect. Mine can be a tad slow at 85mm, but I can't even imagine how touchy the bike would be with a 60mm.

Good luck. Post pictures of the finished product!

·
Uncle
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
More info on my WCF frame

Going back a while: My friend ended up going with a full squishy bike instead. Today, I pulled it out and dissembled it, and then weighed the frame. 17" version came it at ~3.7lbs. :thumbsup:

·
Appalachian Highlander
148 Posts
Hey, I bought a sweet orange '96 WCF frame like that on E-bay. It's in great shape, and I'm currently outfitting it with the best parts I can find. I also found a '96 Apex XE that had never even been test ridden in a box in my LBS basement! $300! I have 6 bikes, (and the frame, of course) and while that Apex was the cheapest, it is easily my favorite to ride. I love that old-school geometry. I'm hoping the WCF rides even better! I'll let you know asap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.