Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a older trance that has given great service. It's pre maistro and a 26" wheel at that. I like the bike a lot and am torn about upgrading versus buy new bike.
My rear fox shock has rebound, I don't feel I need lock out. PUSH did a rebuild last year but after 500 miles I'm not totally thrilled.
Would a new shock work? By RS?
Should I replace the bearings in the pivots, one of the small upper ones is a bit crunchy.

For me it isn't all about money, it's about feeling like I don't want to toss a perfectly good bike because its a bit long in the tooth.

The only bike I have seen that I even like is the kona precipt DL. I can get this bike for a grand. I'm a part time shop employee.

So, upgrade or rebuild?

Thoughts?

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
Please post pic because no Trance was ever produced without the Maestro Suspension. 2005 was the first year but had a different mount point for the lower linkage, but it was still called Maestro. IMHO the Trance was a great bike and with all the 27.5 and 29ers out you can probably score a really good deal on a front fork

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'm at work so it will have to be tommrrow (24 hour shift)
I bought the frame off eBay 6 plus years ago but don't know much about them.
But love riding it.
Bill

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, 32 hour shift is done. Yay.

Here are pics of my trance.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396469404.220194.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396469428.026402.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396469442.266157.jpg

Any help or suggestions to make the back end work better are appreciated. I might have to just send the rear shock back to push, but is there a rock shock I could use instead?

Thanks. Bill

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, thanks everyone. Im going to just keep and run this sucker till it drops. I ordered the needle bearing kits today, and will order a new suspentiuon bearing set next payday.

Thanks again.

Bill

·
Registered
706 Posts
That looks like a 2005 Trance, which was the first year of the Trance. If its not about the money then I wouldnt invest any more money into the bike. I had a 2005 Trance and a 2008 Trance X, and there was a world of difference between the two bike. The 2008 felt just "better", both on climbing and descending. If you arent going to be sucked in by the new 27.5 craze and dont want a 29er I would look into a nice used 2008 to 2012 Trance X. If you want to move up to a 29er I have a friend who had a 26 Trance X and went to a 29er Trance X and wouldnt go back. I went to a Anthem X 29er and I wouldnt go back to my 26 Trance X. It climbs and descends better, the only negative vs the 26 would be the turning.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool thanks. I thought it was a 2006.ill check the enduro needle bearing kit I ordered and see.

Appreciate it

Bill

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is. I just contacted the bearing place to try and correct my order.
Seeing how I only get to ride 30-45 days a year Mtn, I think this bike is fine for right now. But I will start looking on flea bay for a newer version.

Bill

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, playing devils advocate. If I decide to look for a newer trance frame, say 2008+.
What difference in ride from the rear do you think I would see? As opposed to what I have now.

Bill

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,425 Posts
So, playing devils advocate. If I decide to look for a newer trance frame, say 2008+.
What difference in ride from the rear do you think I would see? As opposed to what I have now.

Bill

Not much, I'd think. The newer frame *will* be quite a bit lighter (I think they shaved over a pound with the non-pierced downtube design)... but I'd imagine most of the rest of the geometry, amount of travel, etc. will be quite similar. It's still Maestro, after all...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. Since I'm so not a weight weenie I think that makes my decision a lot easier.
Thanks. I can't wait to get the new bearings in and see the difference.
Bill

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well I speak from my experience. And IMHO there is enough of a difference to go with the trance X. I owned both. Slacker head angle by a degree, which can be made even slacker with a 140mm fork up front (which is the way to go). That alone was enough of a difference, you didnt lose anything going up but gained a whole lot going down. I dont know what "difference" you are speaking of in the rear but you also gain .8 inch of travel as well. It just climbed better,turned better, descended better and over all was better.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,425 Posts
jdgang makes a good point - if you want more travel, slacker angles - the Trance-X is def the way to go. It will be quite a bit different than your current bike.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. I'm very comfortable with the current bike and just ride it some more. Yea, money is a huge factor right now. I'd rather keep cash flow then have a new bike.
So small improvements are going to be the order of the day. Replace bearings, little upgrades.
The difference I was wondering about was the replacing the bushings in the shock mounts with the bearings. I heard good things, it's a cheap upgrade to play with.

Thanks everyone. You answered so good questions. I'll keep an eye out in the future and maybe I can part together a 29'r over the winter.

Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts