Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new do-a-little-bit-of-everything-frame for my 10-year-old. His current setup works great but is getting small (at least for seated riding). He goes trail riding with me, likes to do a little jumping with buddies (not me) and we have gotten around to go lift-assisted a couple of times.

Current setup (see pic):
Scott kids 24" dirt-bike. Upgraded (a lot) by me:
RS Recon U-Turn 85-130 mm softest spring
Sun Single track on XT hubs
Schwalbe Big Betty
Shimano Deore Hydros, 185 mm rotors front and rear.
Amoeba stem and low rise bars
Deore/LX 1x9 drivetrain and shifter

Now to my question:
I came across a 2005 ToP dirt (haha) cheap in the local classifieds and I think it ticks a lot of the right boxes. Except weight. From what I've read it's built like a tank and it is maybe better to look at other frames.

Heres a clip from this summer:

What do you guys think and any other frame suggestions are very much appreciated.

Cheers and TIA
/Johan in Sweden

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would shy away the old tops are tanks and he will really feel the weight, I would look for a newer 2006+ Top or pick up one of the new aluminum hardtails from transition that will be aout around January, or even one of the new TransAm. bottom line is keep looking

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. Most appreciated.
Confirms my suspicion. Pity since the price was right but better to save up for something more appropriate. Been looking at the Cannondale Chase but haven't come by decently priced frame.

Cheers
/Johan

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Modig- Your kid rips! I am insanely impressed with his riding. The bike he has in the video looks to be the right size for him. However, at 10yrs I expect he has a growth spurt or two in him. That is an odd size to find a bike suitable for that type of riding. I think the older ToPs are a bit heavy. What about a small Chase frame or the Scott Voltage? The voltage looks like a bigger version of the bike he has. Are you thinking about moving him to a fully in the future? Or is he a destined hardtail ripper?

-- oops did not read that you already mentioned the Chase frame.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the nice comment sodak :)

You're right about the growth spurt. He needs something a little bigger soon (and he's got a younger brother waiting for the Scott frame). I haven't got a plan for future bikes really but the bigger Voltage is a good suggestion. I think they can be had for pretty cheap.

Cheers
/Johan

·
Registered
146 Posts
Modig said:
Thanks for the nice comment sodak :)

You're right about the growth spurt. He needs something a little bigger soon (and he's got a younger brother waiting for the Scott frame). I haven't got a plan for future bikes really but the bigger Voltage is a good suggestion. I think they can be had for pretty cheap.

Cheers
/Johan
I would look into a Voltage. You cannot run gears on any TOP unless you use a Saint M801 10mm bolt thru deraillurre, which can still be bought, but are not in production. Also look at Kona's 24 inch frames.

·
Registered
480 Posts
RideRMB said:
I would look into a Voltage. You cannot run gears on any TOP unless you use a Saint M801 10mm bolt thru deraillurre, which can still be bought, but are not in production. Also look at Kona's 24 inch frames.
only the latest production run of tops don't have hangers on them, everything previous does.

·
Gravity addict
315 Posts
Modig your son rides excellent for his age- my son 6 and I'm hoping he will get into it eventually. Not to sure on bike suggestions have seen specialized putting out some nice stuff (only if transition would build a kids bike!!! hhhmmm lol )but the video was great. Enjoy those trails with you son!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.