Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if its a bad idea to buy older bikes, I mean like 2002 and older. my friend was going to sell me a 02 rm7 for 700 bucks. from what i've been told it isnt a good idea to buy old frames ? my friend said that the welds eventually get weak, you can buy old XC bikes, but buying a old downhill/freeride bike is a bad idea. are the older suspension forks any good ? I started MTB in 2003, but didnt get to ride any nice forks untill 04, so I know nothing about the older stuff.

right now the older bikes are going for super cheap, like I saw a 2001 kona stinky complete bike go for 400 bucks, is it worth buying ? getting a few (strong, but old) components ? if I break a weld I could always get a new frame, and me being on a budjet means not a lot of $$ to spenmd on components

are these bikes worth buying for cheap ?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Depends on model & use.

todd_freeride said:
I was just wondering if its a bad idea to buy older bikes, I mean like 2002 and older. my friend was going to sell me a 02 rm7 for 700 bucks. from what i've been told it isnt a good idea to buy old frames ? my friend said that the welds eventually get weak, you can buy old XC bikes, but buying a old downhill/freeride bike is a bad idea. are the older suspension forks any good ? I started MTB in 2003, but didnt get to ride any nice forks untill 04, so I know nothing about the older stuff.

right now the older bikes are going for super cheap, like I saw a 2001 kona stinky complete bike go for 400 bucks, is it worth buying ? getting a few (strong, but old) components ? if I break a weld I could always get a new frame, and me being on a budjet means not a lot of $$ to spenmd on components

are these bikes worth buying for cheap ?
Obviously some models/brands of certain bikes were known for potentially having eventual problems, but you're question doesn't have a general answer. A lot will depend on the amount of use and kind of use. Bullits, for example, are known for being some very tough, long lastig frames, but there might be a difference in getting an older one from Randy Spangler or a 54 year old guy like me...LOL! Some of those RMs were known for frame problems, but I don't remember the exact models or years. If you're sure of the history on the frame to know the type and amount of use, then you could make a more informed decision. Just buying an older frame off ebay can be risky if you don't know or can't trust the info you're getting.

·
fungus amongus
395 Posts
i wouldn't buy the stinky, if you have something i would suggest 400$ worth of upgrades. as for the rm id give it a test ride to see if you like it and if its sturdy :)

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
TNC said:
Obviously some models/brands of certain bikes were known for potentially having eventual problems, but you're question doesn't have a general answer. A lot will depend on the amount of use and kind of use. Bullits, for example, are known for being some very tough, long lastig frames, but there might be a difference in getting an older one from Randy Spangler or a 54 year old guy like me...LOL! Some of those RMs were known for frame problems, but I don't remember the exact models or years. If you're sure of the history on the frame to know the type and amount of use, then you could make a more informed decision. Just buying an older frame off ebay can be risky if you don't know or can't trust the info you're getting.
Have to agree with TNC if the bike is owned by a young agressive hucker it's possibly at the end of it's life. If it's owned by a old pansey 47 year old it's possibly got time left. Also if a bike was riden by team rider, sometimes they are made lighter than production models theirfor are more fatigued. Do some research beffor putting down cash duckets on something because you want it now.
Check pivots & bearings on a used frame, if it needs anything then the price goes up. Bearings will run about 8.00 +/- each.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,000 Posts
I know one thing and that is I wouldn't buy an RM7

anyway..it is a buyer beware market, but one thing to consider....some people ride for a short time and then the bike becomes a dust collector...so some bikes only have 3 months use max...those bikes would be a steal....just have to be a smart shopper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.