Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an older RockShox domain single crown that's got a real nasty clunk about halfway through the travel...

I've tried everything did a full service, everything was cleaned inspected and greased... Even tried lots of grease on the spring shrink wrap on the spring nothing seems to even change the tone of it if anything it said maybe eventually gotten louder lol ..

What am I missing here there's only like three moving parts?

Bushings feel tight when you rock it forwards and backwards on the lowers.

But I did notice that the end caps in the stanchi
Bicycle fork Bicycle part Bicycle frame Automotive tire Motor vehicle
ons are only pressed in they do seem to wiggle a little bit maybe that's the clunk?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All right after a little bit of assembly and disassembly and trying different things I've been pointed the noise coming down to the damper assembly...

It only makes the noise when there is oil in the damper...

Long story short there's countless threads on the internet basically involving all of the rock shocks forks with steel stanchions...

Long story short the bottom of the sanction, the cap is pressed in I have decided that the cap is loose from use.

When the damper is filled with oil and it's being compressed, there's a negative pressure created behind the piston, which sucks the cap up into the sanction, then once it gets to a certain amount of travel the air volume above the oil gets to enough pressure to create a positive pressure below the piston thus pushing the cap out making the click..

Does anyone have any input to this theory and how to repair the situation...

I know obvious repair is to get a new fork but being a long travel straight steerer
Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Cylinder Nickel
Bicycle part Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Cylinder
tube the options are pretty limited these days

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don’t know anything about this fork but hate to see a post without any reposted, so here I come with only basic damper theory.

There is check shim below the rebound piston, so the pressure delta only needs to to strong enough to open that. I think you need to pull the rebound assembly out and inspect it for further debug.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.