Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am looking to supplement my Trek Madone road bike with something more casual that I can use to ride with my wife, and periodically take on some trails. I did not want to spend a fortune on a second bike, and recently ran into a 2007 Gary Fischer X-Caliber for $475 in an excellent condition.

The 2007 X-Caliber is the last of G1 frames, and I am wondering whether I should spend a few more bucks and try to find a 2008+ G2 version. My research indicates that the Fox shock on the 08 is a bit better than the Reba on the 07, and the G2 frame is more responsive.

I will be the first one to admit that I am a noob when it comes to mountain biking and this bike will see light use. As such, will the difference between G1 and G2 bikes be notable for a rider such as I? Is the 07 X-Caliber worth $475?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Not to be negative, but didn't era of GF X-Cal frames break allot. Might do some heavy searching on this site and more to research that.

What is Treks warranty on older GF's?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trek has a lifetime frame warranty, although reports regarding being able to take advantage of the warranty have been mixed.

There have been reports of the frames cracking around the seat post, but with the relatively light use I project for this bike, I would be highly impressed with myself if I break the frame...

I did some digging around on CraigsList ads within 200 miles of my location, and the G2 X-Calibers are going for about $700-800. So the $60,000 question is whether the G1 is a good purchase at $475 vs. spending $700-800 on a G2.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Ride it and see if you like it. 29s have continued to evolve and are now at the Superfly for a ht. Trek began using their road bike carbon frame compliance knowledge bank with the SF 9.9 last year and the 9.6-9.8 at a lower price point this year.
The new compliance and geo are excellent.
Who knows you may like trail riding. The G1 will be enough to see how things go.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The frame warranty applies to the original owner so a non starter there.
I've bought many used biked with (so far) good results. For your intended usage I'd look for the cleanest, least used and newest bike in your price range. I'd rather have a perfect 07 vs. a beat up 08. The nice thing about buying used is if you don't like it you can usually resell for little or no loss. Think of it as a demo you can return whenever you want. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
2007 was the first year GF moved their production to Asia. Initially, it was a disaster and they sold a lot of crap frames. Anything 2006 or earlier was made in Wisconsin and is generally better quality. I beat the crap out of a 2006 Xcal and they gave it to my dad. He's been rockin' it ever since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the replies! I went out and test drove the modern version of the X-Caliber, and did not like the fit, so I will keep looking for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts