Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember an ad from the early-90s or before and I just can't find it in any of my archives. Can some one ID it for me.

I seem to remember it being Yeti back when they only made steel frames, but it might not be Yeti. It was some beer cans and lawn furniture welded together into the "bike frame" and the caption said something like ' Let other builders use beer can and lawn furniture material, we'll use steel.' I remember thinking it was ironic because within a couple years they were building with aluminum like everybody else

This was one of my fave ads and as I get older the details seem to fade and I'd love to see it again if someone has a scan.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
FAT chance had a poster with copy along the lines of "crush an aluminum beer can on your forehead, now try it with a Steel can..."

I think Yeti actually welded or glued a frame up out of beer cans for a trade show...yeah I'm stalling as I try to find that ad for you!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
KDXdog said:
FAT chance had a poster with copy along the lines of "crush an aluminum beer can on your forehead, now try it with a Steel can..."

I think Yeti actually welded or glued a frame up out of beer cans for a trade show...yeah I'm stalling as I try to find that ad for you!
I remember the beer can frame. Not the ad though.

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
You know...I remember a beer can frame too, I was going to re-edit my post, but since you brough it up.

I couldnt find the actual pic, but I did find a bike someone stickerd to look like beer cans. (well, sorta)

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn. . . maybe I'm conflating a couple different ads in my head. Alas, my magazine collection is 2500 miles away in boxes in my folks basement or I'd be spending the next week combing those things for the answer.

Well the pic was similar to the one hollister posted except it was pointing the other way, B&W, and kinda head-on 3/4 view. At least that's what I have in my head. The text was something along the lines of 'the other guys make their bikes out of the same stuff as beer cans and lawn furniture which is why we use steel.'

·
Dumpster Diver
1,093 Posts
jeffgothro said:
a torch would have cut through those cans like nothing.
Not true, my friend's dad used to give him aluminum cans to practice welding. He told him once he learned to weld thin aluminum cans, he could weld anything. Well I watched him learn and he's become one of the most respected "doctors" if you will, for many of the world's most treasured automobiles, www.juicebrakes.com

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
YETIFIED said:
Not true, my friend's dad used to give him aluminum cans to practice welding. He told him once he learned to weld thin aluminum cans, he could weld anything. Well I watched him learn and he's become one of the most respected "doctors" if you will, for many of the world's most treasured automobiles, www.juicebrakes.com
Really? Very cool. :thumbsup:

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts
KDXdog said:
yeah... but try winning the mammoth kamikaze on a steel can.;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.