Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here looking to get into xc riding on a limited budget. Quite like the look of specialized bikes:thumbsup:

With £500 - 600 sterling I'm definitely looking down the used route.

Question I'm asking is with my budget should I go newer or higher up the model foodchain?

I can probably get a 2005 SJ or an XC which is a few years more recent. Has there been any major frame changes in the last few years that would make a 06 XC a better option than a 05 Stumpie? Obviously the spec of each will be a factor - and I'm aware that models were 'downgraded' in recent years (ie the 08 pro has a similar spec to the 07 comp).

Any advice appreciated.

(For what its worth I'm 5'8" and just under 200lb. would like to get into some heavier stuff but realistically will be mostly trail riding with the odd blast down a few hundred yards of rougher stuff)

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
I would go with the 05 SJ. They have 120 mm travel vs. 100 on the XC. Also hyd. discs vs. either mech. or rim depending on model. Better components all around on the SJ from what I've seen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.