Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ride xc and trails mostly but I have an old 4130 hartail bike that I would like to transform (if possible) to a freeride bike, here is what it has and please tell me how I can change it without too much cost. I will buy mostly used components.

Frame: British Dawes Acoma 4130 cromo 1998 (no disc mounts - lifetime guarantee)
Fork: RST381R (I have an RS Pilot SL - but I am not sure if that is fine for freeriding)
Rims: Mavic X138 (non disc), sachs centera hubs, michelin tyres
Shifters: ESP 5
Brakes/levers: Dia compe P7 Vs
Stem: Azonic 110mm
Bar: TranzX rizer
Front dereileur: Sachs centera
Rear: Shimano STX RC
Seatpost: Titec
Seat: WTB speedy V
Crankset: Sachs centera
Pedals: alloy
Headset: diacompe 1 1/8

Thanks.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
It's probably not going to translate into a freeride bike very well due to the geometry that a 1998 XC hardtail is sure to have. You're going to have too tall of a seat tube, too steep of a head angle, and probably 1" steerer that you won't be able to find any freeride "worthy" forks to fit...

Just my $0.02...

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
That probably wont work, but if you get a taller fork and put a 24" in the rear and a 26" up front , that might help slack it out. I wouldn't do that though. Just buy an old stinky on ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coma13 said:
It's probably not going to translate into a freeride bike very well due to the geometry that a 1998 XC hardtail is sure to have. You're going to have too tall of a seat tube, too steep of a head angle, and probably 1" steerer that you won't be able to find any freeride "worthy" forks to fit...

Just my $0.02...
the headset is 1 1/8

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtb_biker said:
What do you call freeride and what kinds of stuff are you planning on doing?
harder terain, some small jumps, a bit of downhillng, more comfortable position. In my mind is a bike that i could use everyware and not worrying that it would break or something and if i m goin to fall put my feet easily on the ground

Something like that I guess

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Do you think the frame is strong enough to hold up to the abuse? Maybe you should by a nice used DH or FR bike to get into it. I don't know if most of your parts can take the abuse of freeride or downhill, even just riding it lightly over time could take its toll.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Markleo said:
harder terain, some small jumps, a bit of downhillng, more comfortable position. In my mind is a bike that i could use everyware and not worrying that it would break or something and if i m goin to fall put my feet easily on the ground

Something like that I guess
PlanetX (on-one), DMR frames will do what you want and can be found pretty cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.