Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for pics of my Hope Moto brakes for a thread in the 29'r forum and ran across these, Hope XC4 circa 2k. Hyd disc brakes have come a long way. As the fluid heated up in these you had to turn the knob on top of the reservoir to increase it's size. Once it cooled down you would slide your thumb up to the dial again and close it so the pads actually touched the rotor.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I actually almost bought a C2 at the tail end when open systems already dominated the market. The C2 was said to have incredible power, and at that time, I didn't do mountain runs. At a later time I could have moved over to Mini open levers to make them work fine.

Too bad, because every time c2's would come up on fleabay, there would be a bidding war sending their prices into the 3-400 range back in 2002/3.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
The Hope Mini is not in the same class as the C2. The C2 was a pretty heavy and heavy duty brake, while the Mini and Mono Mini were/are lightweight XC brakes. I don't know why people, still to this day, put the Mini in such applications, such as DH runs, then complain in the reviews section. Hope makes specific brakes for specific uses. Want an all around brake? Use the M4.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The later C2's were pretty nice. I ran them on my RFX, and they had great power. I never found myself needing more stopping power. The new Hope Mini is another story, I had a hard time getting it to lock up the back tire on my urban bike. I am going to try the new Tech V2's on my Highline, because I think the Hope brakes are some of best engineered parts on a bike.

I know that the Formula One's get a lot of praise, but they don't look like there is room for much fluid, how do they keep from heating up the small amount of fluuid?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
I actually almost bought a C2 at the tail end when open systems already dominated the market. The C2 was said to have incredible power, and at that time, I didn't do mountain runs. At a later time I could have moved over to Mini open levers to make them work fine.

Too bad, because every time c2's would come up on fleabay, there would be a bidding war sending their prices into the 3-400 range back in 2002/3.
I had a set of C2's back in the day on my Superlight, ala 2000/2001. They were fantastic, and why I am a Hope fan and user today.

BTW, I didn't ever have any issues on the reservoir heating up, except once in Asheville on a long decent. Only time I ever had to adjust it while riding, otherwise I used it to adjust the brake feel.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sorry I suppose I wasn't very clear in my original post. I wasn't doing a back to back comparison of the C2 to the Hope Mini. I just said that the C2 on my RFX was a much better brake than the Mini on my Urban Hardtail. Of course the mini is not intended as a DH brake, and that is why I said I would go with the V2 on my big bike. lol.

Jerk_Chicken said:
The Hope Mini is not in the same class as the C2. The C2 was a pretty heavy and heavy duty brake, while the Mini and Mono Mini were/are lightweight XC brakes. I don't know why people, still to this day, put the Mini in such applications, such as DH runs, then complain in the reviews section. Hope makes specific brakes for specific uses. Want an all around brake? Use the M4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.