Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone aware of the differences between the old and new models of the Optimus Ti?

I read the new version, 2008 I'm assuming, is made by Linskey, but were they always fitted with Paragon sliders?

Just curious because you can find pre 2008 models for about 500 bones cheaper.

·
Jabberwocky Jockey
809 Posts
They are all 2008 models. You can think of them as early and late production models. They both have Paragon sliders. The main (and only as far as I know) differences are:

US made from US Ti.
Curved chainstays for better clearance.
Laser etched graphics.

Everything else is the same between the two.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what size rear tire do you figure would fit comfortably in the older version?

Darkwing Duck said:
They are all 2008 models. You can think of them as early and late production models. They both have Paragon sliders. The main (and only as far as I know) differences are:

US made from US Ti.
Curved chainstays for better clearance.
Laser etched graphics.

Everything else is the same between the two.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't want to hound ya dude, but this is a sweet deal - just want to make sure it's what I need.

So the stays in terms of clearance are similar to the Jabber?

Darkwing Duck said:
2.35's.

Anything bigger and you'll have clearance issues especially when they get muddy.

·
Jabberwocky Jockey
809 Posts
No worries.

Yes, very similar to a Jabber on chainstay tire clearance.

I did find that on crank clearance between chainstays (on the outside) however, the Optimus chainstays are about 15mm wider overall from outside to outside where the crank normally passes them. I found this out by bolting up my Middleburn crank with a 113mm bottom bracket and the crank arms were less than 5mm away from the stays. I cured the issue with a 118mm bottom bracket. This is only an issue with Middleburns and all other crank combos seem to be fine with a 113mm bottom bracket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.