Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the difference in older Sir 9 frames vs. newer ones? My LBS is going to give me a deal on a tang sir 9 new from Niner with the "old" style BB with the ti allens. I was going to use the newer EBB, but was wondering if there was a difference in newer sir 9's vs older models and if so, is it noticeable?

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get it!! Just get the older 490mm steel fork which Niner should still have in stock and you will be good to go. Awesome riding bike, and that is a great color!! I have the newer version, but have ridden the older version SIR9 and I think the extra 20mm fork length made it a little more comfortable (more flexy) with the rigid fork. I have no experience with a suspension fork on the SIR9 so I can't give you any feedback on that aspect.
Good luck.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
bretty said:
I'm really considering the carbon fork, would that work okay with that frame?
Niner Bikes says:
We have tweaked our geometry slightly, building our frames around the lowest crown-to-axle forks on the market (Fox) and controlling the steepest head angle based on the shortest fork. For longer forks, it could decrease the head angle by up to ½ a degree, but this will not be detrimental to steering precision due to the longer offsets fork makers are currently using.

Based on these minor tweaks, we've now started producing our Niner rigid forks in a 470mm crown-to- axle height, as opposed to the 490mm crown-to-axle of our previous offerings. We've also increased the rake to 45mm vs. the old 39mm. For those of you with model year frames 2008 or older, this new crown to axle offering will retrofit right on to your current rig without a problem. The steering precision will increase slightly, but your bike will still handle great at high speeds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.